Current Through a Capacitor in a RC Circuit

In summary, the current through the capacitor is estimated to be 85 mA, the current through the resistor is estimated to be -120 V, and the voltage across the capacitor is estimated to be -103.125 V.
Drakkith
Mentor

Homework Statement

Find ##i(0^+) ## and ##i(t), t≥0^+##

pr_7-51.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I'm having trouble finding the current through this capacitor. I tried using a KVL loop for ##t=0^+##, but I'm doing it incorrectly or something.

Earlier in the problem I found: ##v_c(0^+) = -120 V##
Sign convention for resistors: Positive on the top for the 150k resistor, positive on the right side for the other 2.

KVL1: Starting at node ##b## and moving clockwise with current ##i_1## :
##-2.5ki_1+150k(i_1-i_2)-v_c=0##
##-2.5ki_1+150ki_1-150ki_2-(-120)=0##
##147.5ki_1-150ki_2=-120##

KVL2: Starting just to the left of the 50k resistor and moving clockwise:
##-50ki_2+200-150k(i_2-i_1)=0##
##-50ki_2-150ki_2+150ki_1=-200##
##150ki_1-200ki_2=-200##

Solving, I get:
##i_1=0.85 mA##
##i_2=1.6mA##

##i=-i_1=-0.85 mA##

However, this is appears to be incorrect.

Attachments

• pr_7-51.jpg
    pr_7-51.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 748
Physics news on Phys.org
Drakkith said:
Earlier in the problem I found: vc(0+)=−120V
Looks correct.
Drakkith said:
I tried using a KVL loop
For me, the KVL equations are generally less intuitive and move complicated. Not to make extra work for you, but can you write the KCL equation for the main node in the circuit for t>0 and see if that makes it easier to solve?

berkeman said:
For me, the KVL equations are generally less intuitive and move complicated. Not to make extra work for you, but can you write the KCL equation for the main node in the circuit for t>0 and see if that makes it easier to solve?

Sure. From the main node, ##i## goes left, ##i_1## goes down, and ##i_2## goes right.
##i+i_1+i_2=0##
##\frac{v-v_c}{2.5}+\frac{v}{150k}+\frac{v-200}{50k}=0##
Multiplying both sides by 150k:
##60v-60v_c+v+3v-600=0##
##64v-60(-120)=600##
##64v+7200=600##
##64v=-6600##
##v=-103.125 V##

##i=\frac{v-v_c}{2500}=6.75 mA##
Which is correct...

##i(t)## is then: ##i(t)=6.75e^{(1000t)} mA##

Why in the world did one method work but not the other?

Drakkith said:
Which is correct...
Yahoo! :smile:
Drakkith said:
Why in the world did one method work but not the other?
Both methods should work, but at least for me, the KVL equations are much less intuitive and therefore much easier to make a mistake when using them. I'll leave it to other (smarter) members (EDIT -- like vela) to find the small typo in your work with the KVL equations... :smile:

Last edited:
Likes cnh1995 and Drakkith
Looks like the signs aren't consistent in your KVL equations. If you're going clockwise around the left loop, for example, you should get
$$-2500i_1 + 150000(i_2-i_1) + v_c = 0.$$ In the second KVL equation, the sign on 200 should be negative since you're moving from higher potential to lower potential as you go clockwise around the loop.

Likes berkeman
vela said:
Looks like the signs aren't consistent in your KVL equations. If you're going clockwise around the left loop, for example, you should get
$$-2500i_1 + 150000(i_2-i_1) + v_c = 0.$$ In the second KVL equation, the sign on 200 should be negative since you're moving from higher potential to lower potential as you go clockwise around the loop.

Isn't that already consistent though? Moving from positive to negative voltage across a resistor (moving from higher to lower potential), the sign is +, whereas it's - when moving from negative to positive (as in the ##-2500i_1##).

Isn't what already consistent?

Which way are you assuming the currents ##i_1## and ##i_2## flow? If it's clockwise around the loops, then according to your sign convention, the first term should be ##+2500i_1##.

vela said:
Isn't what already consistent?

The way I was doing it already.

vela said:
Which way are you assuming the currents ##i_1## and ##i_2## flow? If it's clockwise around the loops, then according to your sign convention, the first term should be ##+2500i_1##.

How so? The negative terminal of the 2500 ohm resistor is on the left.

Potential drops as the current flows through the resistor. If the current enters on the left, the left end of the resistor is at a higher potential than the right end.

Looking back at my homework, I can't reconcile what I did there with what I've done here or what you're telling me vela. I'll have to dig a bit deeper and maybe talk to my instructor to figure out what's going on. Thanks all.

1. What is a capacitor in an RC circuit?

A capacitor is an electronic component that stores electrical energy by accumulating charge on its plates. In an RC (resistor-capacitor) circuit, the capacitor is connected in series with a resistor and a voltage source.

2. How does current flow through a capacitor in an RC circuit?

When an RC circuit is connected to a voltage source, the capacitor charges up to the same voltage as the source. As the capacitor charges, the current through it decreases until it reaches a steady state value of zero. This is because the capacitor acts as an open circuit to DC current.

3. What is the relationship between current and voltage in an RC circuit?

The relationship between current and voltage in an RC circuit can be described by Ohm's law, which states that current is directly proportional to voltage and inversely proportional to resistance. In an RC circuit, the current decreases as the capacitor charges and the voltage across the capacitor increases.

4. How does the time constant affect the current through a capacitor in an RC circuit?

The time constant (τ) of an RC circuit is the product of the resistance and capacitance. It represents the time it takes for the capacitor to charge to 63.2% of the source voltage. As the time constant increases, the current through the capacitor decreases more slowly, taking longer to reach its steady state value.

5. How does the value of the capacitance affect the current through a capacitor in an RC circuit?

The value of the capacitance affects the current through a capacitor in an RC circuit in two ways. Firstly, a larger capacitor will take longer to charge to the source voltage, resulting in a slower decrease in current. Secondly, a larger capacitor will store more charge, resulting in a higher steady state voltage and a lower steady state current.