First principles differentiation question

In summary, the "First principles differentiation question" is a mathematical problem that involves finding the derivative of a function using the fundamental definition of differentiation. It is important to understand first principles differentiation because it allows for the differentiation of any function and serves as the basis for more advanced calculus techniques. The steps to solving a first principles differentiation question include writing out the fundamental definition, simplifying the function, substituting the change in input, taking the limit, and simplifying the resulting expression. Common mistakes when solving these questions include incorrect simplification, forgetting to substitute the change in input, and making algebraic errors. To practice and improve in this skill, one can work through problems, use online resources, seek help from a tutor, and have a strong
tunabeast

Homework Statement

Obtain the derivative of [tex]e^{2x}[/tex] from first principles.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am upto the point where i have [tex]e^{2x}(\frac{e^{2h}-1}{h})[/tex] Where LIM h->0.

I just don't see how 2 is obtained from what's in the ().

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\frac{e^{2h}-1}{h}= 2\frac{e^{2h}-1}{2h}= 2\frac{e^u -1}{u}[/tex]
if you let u= 2x.

Now, do you know what the limit, as u goes to 0 of
[tex]\frac{e^u- 1}{u}[/tex]
is?

It tends to 1? I think i understand this now, thanks very much for your help.

FAQ: First principles differentiation question

What is "First principles differentiation question"?

The "First principles differentiation question" is a mathematical problem that involves finding the derivative of a function using the fundamental definition of differentiation, which is the limit of the difference quotient as the change in input approaches zero.

Why is it important to understand first principles differentiation?

Understanding first principles differentiation allows us to find the derivative of any function, even those that cannot be easily differentiated using algebraic rules. It is also the basis for more advanced techniques in calculus and is essential for solving real-world problems in fields such as physics and engineering.

What are the steps to solving a first principles differentiation question?

The steps to solving a first principles differentiation question are as follows: 1) Write out the fundamental definition of differentiation, 2) Simplify the function using algebraic rules, 3) Substitute the change in input (represented by "h") into the function, 4) Take the limit of the difference quotient as h approaches zero, 5) Simplify the resulting expression to find the derivative.

What are some common mistakes when solving first principles differentiation questions?

Some common mistakes when solving first principles differentiation questions include: 1) Not correctly simplifying the function before taking the limit, 2) Forgetting to substitute "h" into the function, 3) Not taking the limit as h approaches zero, 4) Making algebraic errors, 5) Missing or incorrect use of parentheses.

How can I practice and improve my skills in first principles differentiation?

You can practice and improve your skills in first principles differentiation by working through various problems, using online resources and practice exercises, and seeking help from a tutor or mentor. It is also helpful to understand the underlying concepts and principles of differentiation, as well as practicing algebraic simplification and limit calculation techniques.

Back