First Family's Puppy Decision: Should They Get a Cat?

• Thread starter Math Is Hard
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Decision
In summary: I'm biased because I love Poodles.In summary, the first family is getting a puppy. They should get a cat, but if they can't have a cat then they should get a dog from a shelter or a breeder. The girls should go through a dog obedience class with the new dog when it's around 6 months old or so.
original.jpg

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/04/13/bo-the-puppy-runs-with-ob_n_186150.html

Physics news on Phys.org
I thought huffington was banned here. Btw, what's up with the dog being named after the president? Barrack Obama, B.O

Ghost803 said:
I thought huffington was banned here. Btw, what's up with the dog being named after the president? Barrack Obama, B.O

Heh, the HP is banned as a source of information. This is just a photo.

It just happened that as often happens, the Huffington Post had it first. :biggrin:

The dog is named after Rush limbaugh's call screener Bo Snerdley:biggrin:

OR

Last edited by a moderator:
Huffington had a hilarious satire too, written as the First Dog's address to the nation.

The puppy is really cute. It's good to hear it's an energetic breed, because after watching Obama reading stories to kids today, I can really picture him rolling around on the floor with kids and puppy piling on top for a tumble. Can't you just imagine someone walking in on him in the Oval Office playing tug-of-war with a puppy? (It was really nice watching a president acting out stories for kids rather than struggling to sound out the words.)

Moonbear said:
Huffington had a hilarious satire too, written as the First Dog's address to the nation.

The puppy is really cute. It's good to hear it's an energetic breed, because after watching Obama reading stories to kids today, I can really picture him rolling around on the floor with kids and puppy piling on top for a tumble. Can't you just imagine someone walking in on him in the Oval Office playing tug-of-war with a puppy? (It was really nice watching a president acting out stories for kids rather than struggling to sound out the words.)
That was really refreshing, Moonie! He acted out the parts, stuck in sound-effects, stuff that I'm sure he's done for years for his own kids. It's nice to have a President who's not a pompous stuffed-shirt or an idiot.

turbo-1 said:
That was really refreshing, Moonie! He acted out the parts, stuck in sound-effects, stuff that I'm sure he's done for years for his own kids. It's nice to have a President who's not a pompous stuffed-shirt or an idiot.

Yep, and I just keep thinking what a wonderful role model he and Michelle are to parents everywhere. If the president isn't too busy to make time to spend with his family, anyone can make that time. It's such a nice example of good parenting.

Moonbear said:
Yep, and I just keep thinking what a wonderful role model he and Michelle are to parents everywhere. If the president isn't too busy to make time to spend with his family, anyone can make that time. It's such a nice example of good parenting.

Those girls just seem like nice, normal kids. Not that previous White House kids haven't been nice and normal, but there's something very uncoached and real about the Obama girls.

Kudos to their parents -- and grandma.

lisab said:
Those girls just seem like nice, normal kids. Not that previous White House kids haven't been nice and normal, but there's something very uncoached and real about the Obama girls.

Kudos to their parents -- and grandma.

A substantial part of it is simply that we see them! Maybe I just am forgetting, but I really don't remember seeing any candid sorts of photos of the Clintons playing with Chelsea. Most of the time, she was never seen, and only when she was all dressed up and standing quietly for something formal. She never looked like she was allowed to be a kid...at least not in public. Obama's daughters, you actually see running about, playing, and just being kids, not stage props. The other recent presidents all had grown children (or pretty close to grown for the Bush twins) by the time they were in office, so they were already getting into more adult political roles and we didn't see them as kids.

I still love Michelle for telling the White House cleaning staff not to clean the girls' rooms. It's all part of keeping them unspoiled.

I just love that http://www.usnews.com/blogs/washing...ta-urges-obama-to-snip-bo-the-first-dog.html" (Huffington Post link NOT used here... though my personal view of US News and World Report isn't high and the HP beat it to the punch):

"We are sending you a coupon good for one free sterilization at PETA's SNIP clinic, which you are welcome to use or pass on to a member of your Cabinet or someone in a low-income neighborhood of Washington, D.C."

At least the organization was good to include the "pass on" caveat.

I'm personally quite OK with the first family getting the pup from a "breeder"-source. Obviously research went into the choice, and in the case of his daughter's allergies, a pup needed to be carefully selected. This careful consideration of pet selection is what people should model... not the selection of a PWD itself. It's clear a high-energy pup will be mutually healthy with this high-energy but disciplined family. The only things sketchy and unfortunate are the Kennedy connection and "rescue" status!

My Cha-Cha was a stray kitty, she certainly had some try-out time before I let her in for "rescue". While I had to rid her of fleas, I was lucky that during the decision process, I found out from the vet she was already fixed! Bonus! -- But I don't have allergy considerations, and her personality was found compatible via the trial period where she reappeared consistently at my front porch for food and attention.

I have a friend with mild allergies, and her shelter-kitty Annie didn't get the love and play-time it needed from her. Fortunately she just married, and her spouse frolics and dotes on the kitty; I hear Annie's never been so happy! (Prior to her marriage, my friend was beginning to worry that she needed to pass Annie on to her parents and save up money for a hairless kitty -- almost as scary as a Chinese Crested!).

Last edited by a moderator:
physics girl phd said:
"We are sending you a coupon good for one free sterilization at PETA's SNIP clinic, which you are welcome to use or pass on to a member of your Cabinet or someone in a low-income neighborhood of Washington, D.C."

Hmm...that seems like quite a deal. Which member of the cabinet should we send for the free sterilization? :rofl: "SNIP" clinic? Really? PETA is just endless comedy. :rofl:

physics girl phd said:
"We are sending you a coupon good for one free sterilization at PETA's SNIP clinic, which you are welcome to use or pass on to a member of your Cabinet "
I think that was a typo - it should have said
We are sending you a coupon good for one free sterilization at PETA's SNIP clinic, which you are welcome to use ON a member of your Cabinet

edit - moonbear got their first

art.bo.family.cnn.jpg

..."The only concern we have is that apparently, Portuguese water dogs like tomatoes. Michelle's garden is in danger," he said.

"We don't have tomatoes," the first lady said. "Not yet," Obama reminded...
http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/04/14/first.dog/

They just sound like such a typical couple with banter like that. :rofl:

Though, who's walking whom in that photo? :biggrin:

Foreign relations between the US and Portugal have never been better :wink:.

Moonbear said:
Though, who's walking whom in that photo?

I don't know if you caught it or not, but Bo nearly caused Barack to take a nose dive on the White House lawn today.

Ivan Seeking said:
I don't know if you caught it or not, but Bo nearly caused Barack to take a nose dive on the White House lawn today.

No, haven't caught that one. Hopefully there'll be reruns of that footage. :rofl: That looks like one strong puppy! Apparently, pulling is what they're best at...amidst all the articles about the puppy, I've learned that they're working dogs that assist fishermen by hauling nets from boat to boat. Fishing nets can be pretty heavy. I bet Bo will be fun in winter...wait for some snow, and let him tow the kids on their sleds (I don't think there are many good sledding hills around the White House). :biggrin: