First thread to hit one-million views?

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thread
In summary: Does the number of views count only the PF registered visitors? or anyone who clicks the link after a google search is...Anyone who clicks the link after a google search is counted.Anyone who clicks the link after a google search is counted.
Borek said:
998879 (+400)

So, are we expecting to see something like: 000234 for 1,000,234 views or 1000234 after the rollover ?

Rhody... :smile:

P.S. Astro, how many new people would you estimate learned about our awesome site from this tragic event ? and second, how many new members (as opposed to the normal influx) have joined in the last 82 days ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
rhody said:
So, are we expecting to see something like: 000234 for 1,000,234 views or 1000234 after the rollover ?

Rhody... :smile:
We'll see in the next hour I believe.

Views = 999,468 (at 1620 (4:20 pm) EDT) Only 532 more to go to 1M.

999,677, so even closer now.

Rhody: almost all people in the Fukushima thread are newcomers.

Greg Bernhardt said:
we did it!
Posts = 8,631, Views = 1,000,091

:bugeye:

Many thanks to the engineers at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear facility for making this possible.

Lol. Thats unfair, tell the truth - you have changed the frequency at which the counters are updated?

I expected new results in about 15 minutes.

Borek said:
Lol. Thats unfair, tell the truth - you have changed the frequency at which the counters are updated?

I expected new results in about 15 minutes.

haha yeah I've been manually updating the past hour or so :)

Greg Bernhardt said:
Ah! Cheating!

Astronuc said:
We'll see in the next hour I believe.

Views = 999,468 (at 1620 (4:20 pm) EDT) Only 532 more to go to 1M.

Borek said:
999,677, so even closer now.

Rhody: almost all people in the Fukushima thread are newcomers.

Greg Bernhardt said:

Ok, I have my answer, we can and do show 7 digits, so in the big picture scheme of things, is this some kind of record for fastest growing thread for a not for profit forum ? and no wise *** remarks from you, Mr Synder. I wonder if we can accommodate 10 million hits next, got to thing big folks, got to think big.

Rhody... :bugeye:

rhody said:
Mr Synder.
I get that all the time. When I give my name, I spell it out, first two letters, then a pause.

Jimmy Snyder said:
I get that all the time. When I give my name, I spell it out, first two letters, then a pause.

Kaaa...zing...

Jimmy the irrepressible...

Rhody... o:)

rhody said:
Ok, I have my answer, we can and do show 7 digits, so in the big picture scheme of things, is this some kind of record for fastest growing thread for a not for profit forum ?
The thread stats and those of some of the most viewed threads for comparison.

Japan Earthquake: nuclear plants
Started: Mar11-11, 07:50 PM
Last Post: Jun01-11, ongoing
Forum: Nuclear Engineering
Views: 1,001,391

The caption competition thread.
Started: Jun14-05, 11:30 AM
Last post: Jun01-11, ongoing
Forum: General Discussion > Fun, Photos & Games
Views: 843,462

thread killer champions
Started: Feb13-05, 12:52 PM
Last Post: May25-06, 01:15 PM Closed
Forum: General Discussion
Views: 741,451

Really Expensive Cat Toy
Started: Apr23-07, 09:48 PM
Last Post: Oct7-10, 01:57 PM
Views: 591,522

Member Photo Thread
Started: Oct15-03, 10:39 PM
Forum: General Discussion > Fun, Photos & Games
Views: 540,689

PF Random Thoughts
Started: Sep17-09, 03:08 PM
Views: 321,858

The Japan Earthquake: nuclear plants thread is only 11.7 weeks or 82 days old, with an average post rate of 105 posts/day. I don't know if the post rate is a record, but I believe the viewing rate, 12,212/day (average) is a record. It has slowed down substantially from the peaks in March and April.

That is...

almost 12,000 views per day.

The next runner up doesn't even clear 400...

Question is, how will the average views per day look like in a year from now. Most likely (and hopefully) it will go down when the situation gets really stable.

Borek said:
Question is, how will the average views per day look like in a year from now. Most likely (and hopefully) it will go down when the situation gets really stable.

Yes, certainly the hits per day is highly asymptotic. A better analysis would be to look at those other posts with an eye toward their peak hpd over a similar 2-3 month period. Kind of unfair of me to look at a thread that's 5 years old and consider the average views... :wink:

DaveC426913 said:
That is...

almost 12,000 views per day.

The next runner up doesn't even clear 400...
The Japan Earthquake thread was getting over 20k views per day on some days in March and early April, but it is down to about 6-8k /day now. I think the activity is unprecedented.

Astronuc said:
The Japan Earthquake thread was getting over 20k views per day on some days in March and early April, but it is down to about 6-8k /day now. I think the activity is unprecedented.

Just a little dark humor, imagine what the forum thread traffic would be if the Earth were to be smacked (blind-sided) by a meteor, say, the size of a small three story office building, and it slammed into or near a nuclear power plant in the US, say San Onofrey, near San Clemente in southern California. Holy crap, I dare say that event would eclipse the Fukishima disaster by far.

Rhody... :eek: crosses fingers that such a scenario never plays itself out in the near future or forever for that matter.

rhody said:
Just a little dark humor, imagine what the forum thread traffic would be if the Earth were to be smacked (blind-sided) by a meteor, say, the size of a small three story office building, and it slammed into or near a nuclear power plant in the US, say San Onofrey, near San Clemente in southern California. Holy crap, I dare say that event would eclipse the Fukishima disaster by far.

Rhody... :eek: crosses fingers that such a scenario never plays itself out in the near future or forever for that matter.

Extending your dark humor - wouldn't it drop to zero...? :biggrin:

I like Serena said:
Extending your dark humor - wouldn't it drop to zero...? :biggrin:

Yeah. A planet-cracker meteor would cause a huge jump in page views!

No, wait...

It's like the old airliner joke.

Captain: "This is the captain. Another engine has quit. This will delay our landing another half hour while we diagnose the problem. Sorry for the inconvenience."
Passenger: "Jeez what a pain. If that last engine quits we'll be up here all day!"

DaveC426913 said:
Passenger: "Jeez what a pain. If that last engine quits we'll be up here all day!"

:rofl:

rhody said:
Along time ago, back in my student days, I was attending a university seminar on nuclear energy. Members were invited.

Among the topics discussed was nuclear safety and the design of NPP containment systems.

During Q&A period, a member of the audience asked, "What would happen if a metero made a direct impact on an NPP".

The response was "if a meteor is big enough to make it to the ground and strikes a NPP, the NPP would be the last thing to worry about." The reasoning was that the destruction wrought by such a meteor would eclipse the effects of the NPP. Note that this is meteor (something like Chicxulub), as opposed to meteorite.

Astronuc said:
Along time ago, back in my student days, I was attending a university seminar on nuclear energy. Members were invited.

Among the topics discussed was nuclear safety and the design of NPP containment systems.

During Q&A period, a member of the audience asked, "What would happen if a metero made a direct impact on an NPP".

The response was "if a meteor is big enough to make it to the ground and strikes a NPP, the NPP would be the last thing to worry about." The reasoning was that the destruction wrought by such a meteor would eclipse the effects of the NPP. Note that this is meteor (something like Chicxulub), as opposed to meteorite.

Astronuc,

I was thinking something along the lines of the (meteor or meteorite) that created the crater in Winslow, Ariz, obviously, that one wasn't as big as a decent sized 3 story office building. I am not thinking along the lines of the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicxulub_crater" which was 110 miles in diameter. Say 1/4 to 1/2 a mile tops. Now, let's churn on the impact, radiation damage and dispersal patterns.

Rhody... :uhh:

Last edited by a moderator:
No takers ? Where is that scientifically based creative entrepreneurial PF spirit ? I don't want a war and peace scenario, just some crude effects, and I dare say logical hypothesis here. And, I might add, I am NOT trolling, hehe...

Rhody... :grumpy: o:)

Fukushima past one-and-half-million hits: 1,500,154 (and past 11k posts - 11,006).

Also somewhere in early July - probably on 6th - the tread became the longest one in the PF history, just nobody noticed. Or at least I am not aware of the fact somebody noticed.

Random thoughts passed the 1M mark.

And - for the record - Fukushima thread is at mind blowing 2,712,553.

Random Thoughts has the most posts (now 18,974) and currently 1,004,394 views, and may overtake Lame Jokes which has 1,035,741 views.