Fish Or Cereal?

Which did you choose when you joined PF?

  • Fish

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Cereal

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Neither

    Votes: 10 76.9%

  • Total voters
    13
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
4,491
28

Main Question or Discussion Point

When you joined PF, which did you choose for your welcome snack?

I wonder if we should add another option. Should we start handing out those leftover triffles that Wolly is trying to unload?
 
Last edited:

Answers and Replies

Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
4,491
28
rats! my poll didn't work. I was trying to make options for fish, cereal or neither, but when I went back to change the # of options I messed it up :(
 
JamesU
Gold Member
732
3
I wasn't offered any fish or cereal :cry:
 
wolram
Gold Member
4,236
554
I think we should add jars of cockles in brine or tins of spam.
 
selfAdjoint
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
6,764
5
I joined back in the stone age and we sat around sharing a mammoth haunch. 'Twas good, too.
 
1,120
7
I passed on the snacks, of course those were the early days of PF, no one had a fridge yet.
 
BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
110
80
The fish. The fridge was on the blink that day and the fish was smelling fowl. Tasted like chicken. :biggrin:
 
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
4,491
28
yomamma said:
I wasn't offered any fish or cereal :cry:
That avatar is REALLY confusing me. I almost said, "Of course you were, Pengwuino!" :rofl:
Wollie said:
I think we should add jars of cockles in brine or tins of spam.
Sounds good to me. I like those little smoked oysters in cottonseed oil.
I joined back in the stone age and we sat around sharing a mammoth haunch. 'Twas good, too.
I guess in those days, a mammoth would last the PF multitude for quite a few days. There are so many members now, a mammoth would be devoured in an afternoon, I bet!
hypatia said:
I passed on the snacks, of course those were the early days of PF, no one had a fridge yet.
That was probably a wise choice!
 
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
4,491
28
BobG said:
The fish. The fridge was on the blink that day and the fish was smelling fowl. Tasted like chicken. :biggrin:
ar ar ar ar :rofl:
 
452
0
I had the lasagna
 
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
4,491
28
Lasagna? Evo, when did we have Lasagna? Was that a special promotion or something?
 
I wasn't offered anything when I joined?

Can I have pilchards on wheatabix? Mmmm tastey then or does it have to be a or b?
 
Danger
Gold Member
9,564
244
Nobody official offered me anything. Luckily, though, it was Brewnog who coaxed me along so I got some beer.
 
Evo
Mentor
22,877
2,369
We offered freeze dried jellyfish and lobster, but no lasagna.

MIH, let me know what changes you want made to the poll.
 
chroot
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
10,165
34
Evo said:
We offered freeze dried jellyfish
Is this how astronauts eat their jellyfish?

- Warren
 
Evo
Mentor
22,877
2,369
chroot said:
Is this how astronauts eat their jellyfish?

- Warren
Yep, they can squeeze some seaweed paste on them. :yuck:
 
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
4,491
28
Thanks for the poll, Evo! Now we'll know how much of each to order for the new members.
 
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
11,349
51
Math Is Hard said:
rats! my poll didn't work. I was trying to make options for fish, cereal or neither, but when I went back to change the # of options I messed it up :(
Fixed!

I wasn't even offered a welcome snack when I got here. :frown: (And I'm not sure I want the fish that should be waiting for me now either. :uhh:)
 
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
11,349
51
Math Is Hard said:
I wonder if we should add another option. Should we start handing out those leftover triffles that Wolly is trying to unload?
Ooh, triffles sound good (or trifles, whichever it's supposed to be...I think I like calling them triffles though :biggrin:). :approve: Start cramming them into the hard drive, Wollie. We're only a couple weeks away from the Fall term starting here, so we should have a bunch of new students arriving for homework help very soon. Triffles really might be just the thing to keep them around. Old triffles sure seem better than old fish!
 
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
4,491
28
Did we fix the espresso machine? I have a final Friday.
 
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
11,349
51
I think LYN is in charge of the espresso machine.
 
Evo
Mentor
22,877
2,369
The heat got to the fish, so I decided to do what the Romans did...

Garum (Roman sun rotted fish sauce)

Use fatty fish, for example, sardines, and a well-sealed (pitched) container with a 26-35 quart capacity. Add dried, aromatic herbs possessing a strong flavor, such as dill, coriander, fennel, celery, mint, oregano, and others, making a layer on the bottom of the container; then put down a layer of fish (if small, leave them whole, if large, use pieces) and over this, add a layer of salt two fingers high. Repeat these layers until the container is filled. Let it rest for seven days in the sun. Then mix the sauce daily for 20 days. After that, it becomes a liquid.

- Gargilius Martialis, De medicina et de virtute herbarum, reprinted from A Taste of Ancient Rome
 
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
4,491
28
Evo said:
The heat got to the fish, so I decided to do what the Romans did...

Garum (Roman sun rotted fish sauce)

Use fatty fish, for example, sardines, and a well-sealed (pitched) container with a 26-35 quart capacity. Add dried, aromatic herbs possessing a strong flavor, such as dill, coriander, fennel, celery, mint, oregano, and others, making a layer on the bottom of the container; then put down a layer of fish (if small, leave them whole, if large, use pieces) and over this, add a layer of salt two fingers high. Repeat these layers until the container is filled. Let it rest for seven days in the sun. Then mix the sauce daily for 20 days. After that, it becomes a liquid.

- Gargilius Martialis, De medicina et de virtute herbarum, reprinted from A Taste of Ancient Rome
Wow! People actually ate that? Sounds horrible. And dangerous. I ate some spoiled salmon once and barely survived.:yuck:
 
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
11,349
51
Evo said:
The heat got to the fish, so I decided to do what the Romans did...

Garum (Roman sun rotted fish sauce)

Use fatty fish, for example, sardines, and a well-sealed (pitched) container with a 26-35 quart capacity. Add dried, aromatic herbs possessing a strong flavor, such as dill, coriander, fennel, celery, mint, oregano, and others, making a layer on the bottom of the container; then put down a layer of fish (if small, leave them whole, if large, use pieces) and over this, add a layer of salt two fingers high. Repeat these layers until the container is filled. Let it rest for seven days in the sun. Then mix the sauce daily for 20 days. After that, it becomes a liquid.

- Gargilius Martialis, De medicina et de virtute herbarum, reprinted from A Taste of Ancient Rome
:yuck: :surprised Fish so rancid it liquified?! :yuck: :yuck: :yuck:
 
Evo
Mentor
22,877
2,369
Math Is Hard said:
Wow! People actually ate that? Sounds horrible. And dangerous. I ate some spoiled salmon once and barely survived.:yuck:
They poured it on everything. :yuck:
 

Related Threads for: Fish Or Cereal?

  • Last Post
Replies
12
Views
3K
  • Last Post
Replies
14
Views
4K
Replies
90
Views
9K
  • Last Post
Replies
11
Views
2K
  • Last Post
Replies
1
Views
2K
  • Last Post
Replies
12
Views
1K
  • Last Post
Replies
15
Views
6K
  • Last Post
2
Replies
36
Views
3K
Top