1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Five train cars and their final speed

1. May 16, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Three identical train cars, coupled together, are rolling east at 1.13 m/s. A fourth car travelling east at 6.43 m/s catches up with the three and couples to make a four-car train. A moment later, the train cars hit a fifth car that was at rest on the tracks, and it couples to make a five-car train. All 5 cars are identical. What is the speed of the five-car train?

2. Relevant equations

pinitial = pfinal
    m1v1+m2v2 = mtotalvfinal
    3. The attempt at a solution

so this is what i did

3mV+ mV= 4mV [the masses cancel]
    (1.13)+(6.43)= V
    7.56 m/s = v

4mV+ mv = 5mv
    Vtotal+0 = vfinal
    7.56 m/s = vfinal

can someone pls tell me what i'm doin wrong thanx :))

2. jcsd
  3. May 16, 2009 #2
    Looks like this exact same problem was recently discussed here:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=155891

I haven't read it, but it might help quite a bit. I also recommend you label your velocities like v1, v2, etc.

Edit: Seems you noticed it already, I see your post in there now.

4. May 16, 2009 #3
    You do not add the velocities. You use the conservation of momentum equation. So for the first part you would have...

3m*(1.13 m/s) + m*(6.43 m/s) = 4m*v_final

Then you solve for v_final. You do the same for the last part of the problem.

5. May 16, 2009 #4
    thank u sooo much :)) i feel so foolish that was really straighforward..thanx again

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook