Five train cars and their final speed

In summary, the problem involves three identical train cars rolling east at 1.13 m/s, a fourth car traveling east at 6.43 m/s that catches up and couples to make a four-car train, and a fifth car at rest on the tracks that couples to make a five-car train. The speed of the five-car train can be found using the conservation of momentum equation, with the initial and final momentums being equal. Through this calculation, the speed of the five-car train is determined to be 7.56 m/s.
brunettegurl

Homework Statement

Three identical train cars, coupled together, are rolling east at 1.13 m/s. A fourth car traveling east at 6.43 m/s catches up with the three and couples to make a four-car train. A moment later, the train cars hit a fifth car that was at rest on the tracks, and it couples to make a five-car train. All 5 cars are identical. What is the speed of the five-car train?

Homework Equations

pinitial = pfinal
m1v1+m2v2 = mtotalvfinal

The Attempt at a Solution

so this is what i did

3mV+ mV= 4mV [the masses cancel]
(1.13)+(6.43)= V
7.56 m/s = v

4mV+ mv = 5mv
Vtotal+0 = vfinal
7.56 m/s = vfinal

can someone pls tell me what I'm doing wrong thanks :))

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like this exact same problem was recently discussed here:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=155891

I haven't read it, but it might help quite a bit. I also recommend you label your velocities like v1, v2, etc.

Edit: Seems you noticed it already, I see your post in there now.

You do not add the velocities. You use the conservation of momentum equation. So for the first part you would have...

3m*(1.13 m/s) + m*(6.43 m/s) = 4m*v_final

Then you solve for v_final. You do the same for the last part of the problem.

thank u sooo much :)) i feel so foolish that was really straighforward..thanx again

Related to Five train cars and their final speed

1. What is the concept of "Five train cars and their final speed"?

The concept of "Five train cars and their final speed" refers to the calculation of the final speed of a train consisting of five cars, after certain factors such as mass and acceleration have been taken into account.

2. How is the final speed of the train calculated?

The final speed of the train is calculated using the formula: Final speed = Initial speed + (Acceleration x Time). This formula takes into account the mass of the train, the initial speed, and the time it takes to reach the final speed.

3. What factors can affect the final speed of the train?

The factors that can affect the final speed of the train include the mass of the train, the initial speed, the acceleration, and any external forces such as friction or air resistance.

4. Why is it important to calculate the final speed of a train?

Calculating the final speed of a train is important for both safety and efficiency reasons. It allows engineers and operators to determine the appropriate acceleration and braking rates, as well as ensure that the train is traveling at a safe and efficient speed.

5. How accurate are the calculations for the final speed of a train?

The accuracy of the calculations for the final speed of a train depends on the accuracy of the input variables and the complexity of the train's movement. Generally, these calculations are quite accurate as they are based on well-established physical principles and formulas.