Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Flight of charged projectiles

1. May 16, 2012 #1
    I am an undergraduate physics student and found myself thinking about a scenario where two positively charged projectiles are fired at an angle to the horizontal at a velocity with a certain separation. So they will be subject to a gravitational force and perpendicular to this, an electrostatic force.
    The distance dependent acceleration is something I have not covered before and am unsure as to how to calculate where the projectiles will land.

Lets give the projectiles a mass of 1kg and a charge of +1mC. Say they are fired at 45degrees to the horizontal with a velocity of 40m/s. They are fired in the same direction at the same time but separated by 1m. If we say this happens on a co-ordinate system, we can say they are fired from +/- 0.5 x, and parallel to the y axis.

I have worked out that the time of flight is 5.77s and that the y co-ordinates of the impact points are +/- 160.2m.

How can I set up the calculus to solve for x?

2. jcsd
  3. May 16, 2012 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The gravitational force is vertical. By symmetry, the electrostatic force is always horizontal, in the x direction. If you're ignoring air resistance, there's no interaction between these. So you can treat the particles as repelling, and moving, purely in the x direction for the known flight time.
    Again by symmetry, the repulsion on each ~ 1/x^2:
    x'' ~ x^-2
    Can you solve that?

4. May 16, 2012 #3
    Yes but neither the acceleration or the separation are constant so I am a bit confused.

5. May 16, 2012 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Quite so. The acceleration (x direction) is as I indicated, is inversely proportional to the square of the separation (x direction). Can you solve that differential equation?

6. May 17, 2012 #5
    Sorry, yes you did show that.
    Ok so I solve and get x=-c.ln(x)+x0.
    Again I am unsure how to solve this.

7. May 17, 2012 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook