Calculating Projectile Trajectories with Gravitational and Electrostatic Forces

In summary, an undergraduate physics student is thinking about a scenario where two positively charged projectiles are fired at an angle to the horizontal at a velocity with a certain separation. They are subject to a gravitational force and perpendicular to this, an electrostatic force. The distance dependent acceleration is something they have not covered before and are unsure as to how to calculate where the projectiles will land.
BOYLANATOR
I am an undergraduate physics student and found myself thinking about a scenario where two positively charged projectiles are fired at an angle to the horizontal at a velocity with a certain separation. So they will be subject to a gravitational force and perpendicular to this, an electrostatic force.
The distance dependent acceleration is something I have not covered before and am unsure as to how to calculate where the projectiles will land.

Lets give the projectiles a mass of 1kg and a charge of +1mC. Say they are fired at 45degrees to the horizontal with a velocity of 40m/s. They are fired in the same direction at the same time but separated by 1m. If we say this happens on a co-ordinate system, we can say they are fired from +/- 0.5 x, and parallel to the y axis.

I have worked out that the time of flight is 5.77s and that the y co-ordinates of the impact points are +/- 160.2m.

How can I set up the calculus to solve for x?

Physics news on Phys.org
The gravitational force is vertical. By symmetry, the electrostatic force is always horizontal, in the x direction. If you're ignoring air resistance, there's no interaction between these. So you can treat the particles as repelling, and moving, purely in the x direction for the known flight time.
Again by symmetry, the repulsion on each ~ 1/x^2:
x'' ~ x^-2
Can you solve that?

Yes but neither the acceleration or the separation are constant so I am a bit confused.

Quite so. The acceleration (x direction) is as I indicated, is inversely proportional to the square of the separation (x direction). Can you solve that differential equation?

Sorry, yes you did show that.
Ok so I solve and get x=-c.ln(x)+x0.
Again I am unsure how to solve this.

What is the "Flight of Charged Projectiles"?

The "Flight of Charged Projectiles" refers to the motion of charged objects, such as electrons or ions, through an electric field. This motion is affected by both the strength and direction of the electric field, as well as the charge and initial velocity of the projectile.

What is an electric field?

An electric field is a region in which electrically charged particles experience a force. It is created by the presence of charged objects and can be either uniform or non-uniform depending on the distribution of charges.

How does the direction of the electric field affect the flight of charged projectiles?

The direction of the electric field can either accelerate or decelerate a charged projectile, depending on the direction of the field and the charge of the projectile. A positively charged projectile will accelerate in the direction of the electric field, while a negatively charged projectile will accelerate in the opposite direction.

What factors affect the trajectory of a charged projectile?

The trajectory of a charged projectile is affected by several factors, including the strength and direction of the electric field, the charge and initial velocity of the projectile, and any external forces acting on the projectile (such as gravity or air resistance).

How is the motion of charged projectiles used in scientific research?

The motion of charged projectiles is used in a variety of scientific research, including particle accelerators, mass spectrometry, and ion propulsion systems. It is also studied in fields such as plasma physics, where charged particles play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of plasmas.