Flight of projectiles from a rifle

In summary, the conversation discusses the flight of projectiles from a rifle when shooting at a target on a horizontal range and on a hilltop above or below the shooter. It is determined that in all cases, the shooter should aim above the target to achieve a bulls eye. It is also noted that the distance quoted is from the muzzle tip to the target in a straight line, and that the shooter should aim below the target when mentally adjusting for uphill or downhill shooting. Google is also mentioned as a helpful tool for further research.
leijen
Hello all
We at work have been discussing the flight of projectiles from a rifle.
So here is the discussion.
Firstly a rifle is fired at 500m to a target on a horizontal range.
After some adjustment the centre is hit consistently.
Termed a bulls eye.

Then
The target is placed on a hill top above the shooter.
The distance from the target to the shooter is still 500m.
Will the shooter aim at the centre, above the centre or below the centre to achieve a bulls eye.

Then
The shooter is shooting downhill to a target placed at 500m distance.
Will the shooter aim at the centre, above the centre or below the centre to achieve a bulls eye.

Note the distance quoted is from muzzle tip to target in a straight line.

Thanks

Sam

Science news on Phys.org
Above the target in all cases... why would adjusting the aim for the first case change anything in the next 2?

Yes, the bullet will fly over the target in uphill and downhill case, because the perpendicular component of the force of gravity is smaller than in case of horizontal shooting (I have once tried uphill shoting with a crossbow and the arrow did fly too high).
But I don't think this is true for any distance: if the (uphill) distance is large enough that the speed of the bullet in the direction towards the target is significantly reduced (by the parallel component of the force of gravity), then the bullet might hit too low.

Ballistics

Thanks to all that placed a reply.

This will silence all the critics and those who genuinely want the correct answer.

Sam

I noticed I didn't read the question carefully: I assumed that the shooter aimes the center of the target through a sight mechanism that compensates the free fall of the bullet so that a perfect hit is achieved in case of horizontal shooting at the given distance (then the bullet will fly over the target for uphill/downhill shooting).
But now I noticed that the question was the mental adjustment that is required to hit the (uphill/downhill) target. In this case the shooter should aim below the target in both cases (if the sighting mechanism for horizontal shooting is used).

What is the definition of a projectile?

A projectile is any object that is launched into the air and moves along a curved trajectory due to the force of gravity acting upon it.

How does a rifle launch a projectile?

A rifle launches a projectile by using gunpowder to create a high pressure explosion, which propels the projectile out of the barrel at a high velocity.

What factors affect the flight of a projectile from a rifle?

The factors that affect the flight of a projectile from a rifle include the angle of elevation, the muzzle velocity, the mass and shape of the projectile, air resistance, and the force of gravity.

What is the maximum range of a projectile launched from a rifle?

The maximum range of a projectile launched from a rifle is determined by its initial velocity and the angle of elevation at which it is launched. Generally, a higher angle of elevation and a higher muzzle velocity will result in a longer maximum range.

How can the accuracy of a projectile launched from a rifle be improved?

The accuracy of a projectile launched from a rifle can be improved by using a stable shooting position, proper aiming techniques, and a high-quality rifle and ammunition. Additionally, accounting for environmental factors such as wind and air resistance can also improve accuracy.