Flipping H/A Fraction for Canceling Out A's

• Thread starter supernova1203
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fractions
In summary, if you are trying to cancel out the a values in an equation, you would multiply both sides by a.
supernova1203
o/a + h/a =1

how do i flip the h/a fraction? Do i divide them instead of adding them? (Im trying to cancel out the 2 a values)

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what you're asking...why do you want to cancel out the a values? And what are you supposed to do with that equation? Simplify, solve for a variable, etc?

mharten1 said:
I'm not sure what you're asking...why do you want to cancel out the a values? And what are you supposed to do with that equation? Simplify, solve for a variable, etc?

Identities for trig ratios

supernova1203 said:
Identities for trig ratios

Perhaps I'm just misreading what you initially wrote, but wouldn't o/a + h/a = 1 be the same as tan(θ) + sec(θ) = 1 ? That's not an identity...

supernova1203 said:
o/a + h/a =1

how do i flip the h/a fraction? Do i divide them instead of adding them? (Im trying to cancel out the 2 a values)
It's not clear what you're trying to do when you ask how to "flip fractions."

o/a + h/a = 1
<==> (o + h)/a = 1
<==> a/(o + h) = 1/1 = 1 as long as o + h != 0

You can solve for a, if that's what you're trying to do, by multiplying both sides of the equation by o + h.

a = 1* (o + h) = o + h

One thing you CANNOT DO is just "flip" the fractions. For example,
1/2 + 1/2 = 1
but 2/1 + 2/1 is not equal to 1/1.

supernova1203 said:
o/a + h/a =1

Can you post the original problem using the template?

You cannot flip h/a in this particular equation. Yes, dividing by h/a is the same as multiplying by a/h. However, without seeing your problem, we have no way of knowing whether or not you'd be murdering the equation if you were to change it. :wink:

Apparently "o", "a", and "h" are "opposite side", "adjacent side" and "hypotenuse", respectively in a right triangle. It would have been nice to tell us that.

What you can do is first solve for "h/a":
[tex]\frac{h}{a}= 1- \frac{o}{a}= \frac{a- o}{a}[/tex]
and the "flip" both sides:
[tex]\frac{a}{h}= \frac{a}{a- o}[/tex]
but that right side is not any trig function.

As mharten1 said, if these really are trig ratios, then what you have is
[tex]cot(\theta)+ csc(\theta)= 1[/tex]
but that is NOT, in general, true!

HallsofIvy said:
As mharten1 said, if these really are trig ratios, then what you have is
[tex]cot(\theta)+ csc(\theta)= 1[/tex]
but that is NOT, in general, true!

And it is true only in the degenerate case where h=a-o, thus where the triangle collapses into a line.

supernova1203 said:
o/a + h/a =1

If you are trying to cancel out the a's, I would multiply both sides of the equation by a.

o/a + h/a = 1
(o+h)/a = 1
o+h = 1a
o+h = a

And if you are using this for a geometery problem, I think there might be an error somewhere. Opposite + Hypotenuse = Adjacent? shouldn't it be B^2 = C^2 - A^2?? Please forgive if this I'm wrong about what you were intending to apply this to.

1. How do you flip a fraction?

To flip a fraction, simply swap the numerator and denominator. For example, if the original fraction is 2/3, the flipped fraction would be 3/2.

2. Why do we need to flip fractions?

Flipping fractions is useful when we want to convert a fraction into its reciprocal. This is commonly used in mathematical operations such as division and finding equivalent fractions.

3. Can you explain the concept of flipping fractions with an example?

Sure! Let's take the fraction 3/4. When we flip it, we get 4/3. This means that 3/4 is equivalent to 4/3 and can be used interchangeably in calculations.

4. Is it necessary to reduce the fraction before flipping it?

No, it is not necessary. We can flip fractions in their original form without reducing them. However, it is always recommended to reduce fractions to their simplest form for easier calculations.

5. Can fractions with a zero in the denominator be flipped?

No, fractions with a zero in the denominator are undefined and cannot be flipped. This is because division by zero is undefined in mathematics.