Flow and Pressure: Increasing Air Circulation without a Fan

In summary, the amateur engineer ran into a problem while trying to generate cooled air for his project using dry ice. He found that the rate of sublimation was too slow, so he explored using a bicycle pump to pressurize the air and circulate it through the tubes, but it ended up overheating the pump and exploding the tube. He then tried using a water bottle instead and observed that the bottle expands when the air is pumped but then contracts when the cylinder within the pump moves up. He finally figured out that adding water to the bottle increases the pressure and tried it with that information, and the bottle eventually burst.
rlingineni
I am an amateur in engineering and new to this forum, so please excuse me if I am posting this in the wrong location. I am doing a little project outside of school that deals with water generation.

The project consists of a coolant that travels through a network of pipes and cools a coil to a desired temperature. For my coolant I am using dry ice(solid Carbon Dioxide), because it directly sublimates from a solid into a gas.I ran into a little problem during the execution of my project. Basically, what happened was, when I placed the dry ice within my containment chamber( which by the way is a homemade flask that consists of a water bottle placed within a 2 liter bottle with the gaps filled in by insulation foam), the rate of sublimation was too slow to spread through the entire network of tubes and cool the coil.

As a result, I need to somehow make make the cool air travel through the tubes. I have also considered the application of a fan, but it seems impractical on a large scale to use a battery and its not really applicable for an experiment that is meant to be low cost. So I explored the idea of adding air via a bicycle pump into the chamber and "pressurizing" it to force the cool air into the tubes and cool the coils. That didn't work(BTW I am also using tire valve stems), in fact, I ended up overheating the bicycle pump, and exploding the tube off.

With that in mind, I tried the same experiment in a more smaller environment, where I tried it with a simple water bottle and I observed that the bottle expands when the air is pumped but then contracts when the cylinder within the pump moves up. Essentially, I was expecting the bottle to work like a pressurized inner tube releasing air at a high force.

As a result, I retried the experiment but with one little change, I filled the bottle half with water and pumped air into it, and pressure began to build to the extent where the bottle would eventually burst. I want to know why this happened(water vs empty bottle) and also can anyone suggest to me how I may circulate air within the tubes without the use of a fan?

*Sorry I wrote a lot, Thank you in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
rlingineni said:
observed that the bottle expands when the air is pumped but then contracts when the cylinder within the pump moves up.
It sounds like the bottle let's the air out slower than the pump supplies it, but the pump only supplies air on the downward stroke.

As a result, I retried the experiment but with one little change, I filled the bottle half with water and pumped air into it, and pressure began to build to the extent where the bottle would eventually burst. I want to know why this happened(water vs empty bottle)
I don't understand - how was this different? What were you hoping the water would do?
also can anyone suggest to me how I may circulate air within the tubes without the use of a fan?
You can cool pressurized air ... keep the air in a large sturdy pressure vessel. I have used a 40L drum for this myself. You can pressurize it with a bicycle pump and then release air slowly through a valve when you need it. Or you could just pump your existing setup more slowly.

Well, I added water because I read online this is how they make pressure rockets:
http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Powerful-Air-Pressure-Rocket

Since they make it like so, I was thinking that if water is what causes the build-up of pressure, perhaps if I add water to a water bottle, then maybe it would result in some pressure build-up.

Water is used in bottle-rockets for reaction mass.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_rocket

All it is doing in your case is occupying volume - so the higher pressure builds up in fewer strokes of the pump. Do you understand how pressure forms when you pump air?

I still don't understand what the difference between the two cases was.

No, I think that was the difference, "higher pressure builds up in fewer strokes of the pump" with the water in place. Ok, I understand.

Thank You

rlingineni said:
No, I think that was the difference, "higher pressure builds up in fewer strokes of the pump" with the water in place
... because the water takes up some of the volume in the chamber. Put the same amount of air into a smaller volume and you get a higher pressure.

(Just making sure.)

1. How can I increase air circulation without using a fan?

There are several ways to increase air circulation without using a fan. One option is to open windows and doors to allow for natural air flow. Another option is to use air conditioning systems, which can circulate and filter air without using a fan. Additionally, you can use ceiling or floor fans to help move air around a room.

2. Can adjusting the flow and pressure of air increase circulation?

Yes, adjusting the flow and pressure of air can increase circulation. By increasing the flow rate of air, more air is able to move through a space, increasing circulation. Similarly, increasing the pressure of air can help push air through smaller spaces and improve circulation.

3. What is the relationship between flow and pressure in regards to air circulation?

The relationship between flow and pressure in regards to air circulation is that they are directly proportional. This means that as flow increases, pressure also increases. This is because as air moves faster, it creates more pressure, which can help circulate air more effectively.

4. Are there any risks associated with increasing air circulation without a fan?

There are some potential risks associated with increasing air circulation without a fan, such as increased energy consumption and potential exposure to outdoor pollutants. It is important to consider the potential risks and take appropriate measures to minimize them when increasing air circulation without a fan.

5. Can using natural ventilation techniques increase air circulation without a fan?

Yes, using natural ventilation techniques can increase air circulation without a fan. This includes opening windows and doors, as well as using techniques such as cross-ventilation to allow for natural air flow. However, the effectiveness of these techniques may vary depending on the layout and design of the space.