Flow Development: Is psi = 4y - (y^3)/3 Fully Developed?

• Thread starter banerjeerupak
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Flow
In summary, flow development is the process of a fluid reaching a fully developed state as it flows through a pipe or channel. The equation for fully developed flow is psi = 4y - (y^3)/3, which is derived from the Navier-Stokes equations by assuming steady, laminar flow and using the continuity equation. This equation tells us that the stream function is directly proportional to the distance from the centerline, indicating evenly spaced and parallel streamlines in fully developed flow. The fully developed flow equation has various applications in fields such as fluid mechanics, engineering, environmental studies, and meteorology.
banerjeerupak

Homework Statement

The following stream function holds for a certain flow of water at 20 C.
psi = 4y - (y^3)/3.

Is this flow fully developed?

Homework Equations

psi = 4y - (y^3)/3.

The Attempt at a Solution

How am i suppose to tell if a flow is fully developed or not from the stream function? Direct me to what should i study to find the answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
I found the solution ..so here it is... for a flow to be fully developed, it should have no change in the u component. i.e. du/dx = 0

I understand your confusion about determining whether a flow is fully developed or not based on the stream function alone. In order to determine if a flow is fully developed, we need to analyze the velocity profile of the flow. This can be done by studying the Navier-Stokes equations and applying the boundary conditions for fully developed flow. Additionally, we can use experimental techniques such as flow visualization or measuring the velocity profile at different points in the flow to determine if it is fully developed. I suggest studying fluid mechanics and specifically the concept of fully developed flow to gain a better understanding of how to determine this in the future.

1. What is flow development?

Flow development refers to the process by which a fluid flows through a pipe or channel and reaches a fully developed state. In this state, the fluid properties, such as velocity, pressure, and temperature, remain constant along the length of the pipe or channel.

2. What is the equation for fully developed flow?

The equation for fully developed flow is psi = 4y - (y^3)/3, where psi represents the stream function and y represents the distance from the centerline of the pipe or channel.

3. How is the fully developed flow equation derived?

The fully developed flow equation is derived from the Navier-Stokes equations, which describe the motion of a fluid. By assuming steady, laminar flow and using the continuity equation, the equation for fully developed flow can be derived.

4. What does the fully developed flow equation tell us?

The fully developed flow equation tells us that the stream function is directly proportional to the distance from the centerline of the pipe or channel. This means that the streamlines, or paths of fluid particles, are evenly spaced and parallel in fully developed flow.

5. What are some applications of the fully developed flow equation?

The fully developed flow equation is commonly used in fluid mechanics and engineering to analyze and design systems involving flow through pipes or channels. It can also be used in environmental studies to model the flow of groundwater and in meteorology to study atmospheric circulation patterns.