Flow in Porous Media and Granular Beds

In summary, the conversation discusses the subject of flow in porous media and the use of a tool to analyze mixing cup average concentration profiles. The conversation also touches on the topic of liquid flow and multiphase flow in packed beds and the use of CFD simulation for modeling. The question of how to mathematically model the distribution of liquid within porous media is also raised. The mentor recommends the book Groundwater by Freeze and Cherry for further understanding of the topic.
tjuaachen
NOTE FROM MENTOR: The posts in this thread have been split out from a previous thread on a different subject. The current subject is flow in porous media.

Chestermiller said:
It depends on how you want to apply the result. If you need to know the detailed radial variations in concentration, then it won't give you that. If you want to follow the mixing cup average concentration profiles that develop axially along the pipe, or the time variation of the mixing cup average at the exit of the pipe, then it's a valuable tool. And, if you are dealing with a chemical reactor in which laminar flow is occurring, it provides an accurate approximation for including the effect of axial dispersion.
Thank you, Dr Chet. By the way, Have you ever touch the field of liquid flow or multiphase flow in the packed bed? I have some new problems in this fields to consult you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
tjuaachen said:
Thank you, Dr Chet. By the way, Have you ever touch the field of liquid flow or multiphase flow in the packed bed? I have some new problems in this fields to consult you.
I've done lots of work on flow through porous media (groundwater flow), but not much on multiphase flow.

Chestermiller said:
I've done lots of work on flow through porous media (groundwater flow), but not much on multiphase flow.
Wow, That's great! The first question is how to model the distribution of liquid within the porous media mathematically if the initial distribution at the inlet is known. I read some papers related to this aspects. But generally, the CFD simulation was adopted. Is there any simple alternatives that can achieve the similar goal?

tjuaachen said:
Wow, That's great! The first question is how to model the distribution of liquid within the porous media mathematically if the initial distribution at the inlet is known. I read some papers related to this aspects. But generally, the CFD simulation was adopted. Is there any simple alternatives that can achieve the similar goal?
Do you have a specific problem in mind?

Chestermiller said:
Do you have a specific problem in mind?
Not fairly specific. But the basic process is the feed rain is sprayed out by the nozzle of the liquid distributor fixed on the top of the packed bed. Then the liquid flow through an inertial packed bed consisting of some inertial materials like carbon to achieve uniform distribution. The problem is how to predict the distribution of liquid flow with the knowledge of the initial condition. Does it make sense to you, Dr Chet?

After the literature research, I learn that there are at least two kinds of model:diffusion type model and Darcy's law. Which one would be better in terms of their simplicity and accuracy? The attachment is the relevant paper.

Attachments

• Trickle-Bed Reactor Flow Simulation.pdf
    632.7 KB · Views: 442
tjuaachen said:
After the literature research, I learn that there are at least two kinds of model:diffusion type model and Darcy's law. Which one would be better in terms of their simplicity and accuracy? The attachment is the relevant paper.
The format for Physics Forums is not appropriate or conducive for presenting a complete treatise on the fundaments of porous media flow and how to model flow and transport in porous media. Much of my own facility with this material was obtained from the book Groundwater by Freeze and Cherry. I highly recommend this book.

1. What is the difference between flow in porous media and flow in granular beds?

Flow in porous media refers to the movement of fluids through a medium made up of interconnected pores, such as soil or rock. Flow in granular beds, on the other hand, refers to the movement of particles through a medium composed of granular materials, such as sand or gravel. While both involve the movement of fluids, the mechanisms and behaviors of flow in these two types of media are fundamentally different.

2. How does the porosity of a medium affect flow in porous media?

The porosity of a medium, which is the volume of pore space compared to the total volume, plays a crucial role in determining the flow behavior in porous media. Higher porosity allows for greater fluid flow, as there is more space for the fluid to move through. However, high porosity can also lead to more complex flow patterns and heterogeneity, which can affect the overall flow rate and direction.

3. What is the significance of the particle size in granular flow?

The size of the particles in a granular medium can greatly influence the flow behavior. Smaller particles tend to pack together more tightly, resulting in lower porosity and slower flow rates. Larger particles, on the other hand, have more space between them, leading to higher porosity and faster flow rates. Additionally, the shape and roughness of the particles can also affect the flow behavior.

4. How do researchers study flow in porous media and granular beds?

There are various experimental and computational techniques that researchers use to study flow in porous media and granular beds. These include laboratory experiments using flow cells and imaging techniques, as well as numerical simulations using mathematical models to predict and visualize flow behavior. Each approach has its advantages and limitations, and they are often used in combination to gain a better understanding of these complex systems.

5. What are some real-world applications of understanding flow in porous media and granular beds?

Understanding flow in porous media and granular beds has many practical applications, such as in environmental remediation, oil and gas recovery, and groundwater management. It is also important for engineering processes, such as filtration and soil stabilization, as well as in natural phenomena like landslides and erosion. By studying and predicting flow behavior in these systems, we can develop more efficient and sustainable solutions for these real-world problems.