Pressure Calculation for Flow Through a Changing Diameter Pipe

In summary: When the flow increases, the pressure at the constriction will be higher than the pressure at the wider end due to the higher flow rate.
O2F
I have a flow through a pipe that changes in diameter to become narrower. I can measure the pressure P1 at the wider end where it is applied and I want to calculate the pressure P2 at the narrow end.

I can't directly apply Bernoulli's equation here because I have no way of measuring the flow rate at either end. I do however know all of the relative dimensions of the pipe (i.e. I know the cross-secional area through which the water flows at P1 and the smaller area at P2), and assuming the water is incompressible the volume flow is constant, I can substitute v2 = (A1/A2)v1. But simplfying leaves P2 in terms of v1: -

P2 = P1 + 0.5*rho*( V1^2 - ( (A1/A2)*V1 )^2 )

Is the pressure at the narrow end simply scaled linearly by the ratio of the cross sections? I have a feeling I have solved this problem before and found this to be the case, I just can't see it at the moment.

Physics news on Phys.org
That equation is definitely not linear.

Yes, thank you, I can see this.

I should have kept this simpler: look at the attached drawing, the diameters d1 and d2 and the pressure P1 are all known quantities... how can I calculate P2?

Any ideas?

Attachments

• drawing1.png
    drawing1.png
    1.9 KB · Views: 670
The value of P2 depends on the detailed geometry ('head loss')- the shape of the contraction and how far downstream you are measuring P2- there is a region directly past the vena contracta where the velocity head is reconverted back into a pressure head and flow is unsteady.

Using the continuity equation, the head loss 'h' due to the contraction is:

h = (1/C -1)^2* V2^2/2g, where V2 is the exit velocity well downstream of the contraction, g is gravitational acceleration, and C the 'contraction coefficient'.

O2F said:
Yes, thank you, I can see this.

I should have kept this simpler: look at the attached drawing, the diameters d1 and d2 and the pressure P1 are all known quantities... how can I calculate P2?

Any ideas?
I don't understand: you provided the correct equation in your first post. Have you tried to use it yet?

Thank you both for your help.

I'm not sure I completely understand Andy's reply.
I probably should have said at the start that I am just trying to get an estimate of the pressure at the constriction (the tightest part of the cone), I drew the tube afterwards to simplify things (in reality the cone sits inside a larger reservoir which is at atmospheric pressure).

I know there is a simpler way to solve this starting with Bernoulli's expression, we are definitely overcomplicating this, I have done it before a long time ago I just can't remember how.

Thank you for the reply Russ, I can't use the equation in the first post because I cannot measure the flow velocity. I know the input pressure and the diameters at each end of the cone.

The pressure difference depends upon the flow rate so you can't ignore it. With no flow, the pressures will all be the same static value (for a level section of pipe).

What is the equation for flow through a pipe?

The equation for flow through a pipe is Q = (πr2ΔP)/(4Lμ), where Q is the flow rate, r is the pipe radius, ΔP is the pressure difference, L is the pipe length, and μ is the fluid viscosity.

How does the diameter of a pipe affect flow rate?

The diameter of a pipe has a direct effect on flow rate. A larger diameter pipe will have a higher flow rate compared to a smaller diameter pipe, assuming all other variables remain constant. This is because a larger diameter pipe has a larger cross-sectional area, allowing for more fluid to flow through.

What is laminar flow and how does it differ from turbulent flow?

Laminar flow is a smooth, orderly flow of fluid through a pipe, with layers of fluid moving in parallel. In contrast, turbulent flow is a chaotic flow with random fluctuations and mixing of fluid particles. Laminar flow typically occurs at lower flow rates and is characterized by a lower pressure drop along the pipe compared to turbulent flow.

How does friction affect flow through a pipe?

Friction between the fluid and the pipe walls causes resistance to flow, resulting in a decrease in flow rate. This is known as frictional loss and is dependent on the roughness of the pipe walls and the velocity of the fluid. In order to maintain a constant flow rate, a higher pressure difference is required to overcome the frictional losses.

What factors can affect the flow rate through a pipe?

Several factors can affect the flow rate through a pipe, including the diameter of the pipe, the pressure difference, the length of the pipe, the fluid viscosity, and the roughness of the pipe walls. Additionally, changes in temperature and fluid density can also impact flow rate. Any obstructions or changes in the pipe's geometry can also affect the flow rate.