1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Flow Through Orifice

1. Feb 28, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Please see attached.

2. Relevant equations

img00094.gif
    v = u + at
    s = ut + ½ at²
    v² = u² + 2as

3. The attempt at a solution

I've managed to get the first part of the question applying Bernoulli's principle and then the equations of motion above by considering separately the vertical and horizontal.

As for the second part, I'm not sure how to go about it. I believe that I would simply need to plug what's known into a certain formula and then solve for h; I expect that would yield a quadratic equation with two solutions for h. But I'm not sure what I need to be using to get this?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2015 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You already have a quadratic equation for h if you fix x.

4. Feb 28, 2015 #3
    Suppose you get a distance x if you drill the hole at h=h1. What distance do you get if you drill the hole at h=H-h1?

Chet

5. Feb 28, 2015 #4
    Thank you for the replies! I've managed to work through and get the answer; it was so simple but I just couldn't see it. For the last part of the question though I'm not too sure how to proceed. Essentially I'm trying to maximise the distance x, but I'm not sure how to do that. I'm assuming I could either differentiate an equation for x and set it to zero and solve, or make an assumption to maximise x. However I'm not sure on an equation to use, or an appropriate assumption to make.

6. Feb 28, 2015 #5

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You already have an equation for x as a function of the relevant variable. I suggest you do what you just suggested.

7. Mar 1, 2015 #6
    Thanks for the reply. Ok so I got the depth at which the maximum distance occurs as being at a height H/2 below the surface. Is that correct?

8. Mar 1, 2015 #7
    Yes.

9. Mar 1, 2015 #8
    Thanks a lot for both of your kind help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted