1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Flow through pipes

1. Sep 24, 2012 #1
    when any liquid flows through a pipe, the curve made by it is paraboloid, what is the reason for this shape. also the equation tells that it is independent of the liquid flowing through the pipe

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2012 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

"the curve made by it"?
    You mean the velocity profile for laminar flow?

You can calculate the velocity gradient as function of the distance to the center, and derive the velocity profile based on that. See the Wikipedia article, for example.

4. Sep 26, 2012 #3
    i am talking about the velocity profile of the liquid, i know that from the equation it comes out to be a parabola equation, but what is its meaning, i mean why is it that velocity is maximum at the centre of the pipe and zero, at the corners???

5. Sep 26, 2012 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

zero at the wall -> friction
    increasing towards the center -> further away from the area of zero velocity, more flow

If you know how to calculate it, try to understand the calculation. I think it is quite intuitive to follow those steps.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook