Flow Work vs PdV Work: Is PdV Valid for Both Closed & Open Systems?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of flow work and PdV work in open and closed systems. It is clarified that flow work is a form of PdV work in an open flow system, but for the closed system, work is only done when there is a change in volume. The equation for reversible work output in a steady flow device is also mentioned, and there is a discussion about the use of the second TdS relation to arrive at this equation. It is also noted that in the steady flow energy equation, the closed system is considered to be the unit mass of fluid in flow.
Soumalya
Hello friends,
Referring to the attachment it can be clearly understood that flow work in an open system is a form of the PdV work defined as the boundary work or displacement work for a closed system.

Does that mean PdV work is valid for both a closed system and an open system?

Attachments

• Flow work.jpg
    Flow work.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 1,258
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Soumalya,

If you are having trouble understanding the extension of the first law to open systems, maybe consulting a different reference will help:

Smith and Van Ness: Introduction to Chemical Engineering Thermodynamics

They do a very nice job.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
Hi Soumalya,

If you are having trouble understanding the extension of the first law to open systems, maybe consulting a different reference will help:

Smith and Van Ness: Introduction to Chemical Engineering Thermodynamics

They do a very nice job.

Chet

I went through the book searching for a clarification to my query but couldn't find any specific illustration about what I am looking for even though the book is incredibly good for building up concepts!Thanks for the excellent reference:smile:

Regarding my doubt I would summarize what I have understood so far:

1.In an open flow system the 'flow work' is itself a form of 'PdV' work crossing the control surface for a control volume even though the system boundary(control surface)for an open system is fixed.While in a closed system we focus on a fixed quantity of matter(control mass) enclosed by an imaginary boundary that is either fixed or free to move,the work of expansion or compression is always accompanied by the movement of system boundary.On the other hand in an open system the system boundary(control surface) is immovable but again we have a form of 'Pdv' work entering or leaving the system boundary as flow work.So is it appropriate to render 'flow work' as Pdv work for an open system?

2.Other than 'flow work' for a control volume in an open flow system there cannot be any form of 'PdV' work as the control surface is fixed thereby not allowing any expansion or compression i.e, dV=0.

Am I correct?

Soumalya said:
I went through the book searching for a clarification to my query but couldn't find any specific illustration about what I am looking for even though the book is incredibly good for building up concepts!Thanks for the excellent reference:smile:

Regarding my doubt I would summarize what I have understood so far:

1.In an open flow system the 'flow work' is itself a form of 'PdV' work crossing the control surface for a control volume even though the system boundary(control surface)for an open system is fixed.While in a closed system we focus on a fixed quantity of matter(control mass) enclosed by an imaginary boundary that is either fixed or free to move,the work of expansion or compression is always accompanied by the movement of system boundary.On the other hand in an open system the system boundary(control surface) is immovable but again we have a form of 'Pdv' work entering or leaving the system boundary as flow work.So is it appropriate to render 'flow work' as Pdv work for an open system?
Yes. There are really two systems that we are considering: 1. The open system within the boundaries of the control volume and 2. The closed system formed by the material within the control volume at time t, plus the material about to flow into the system between time t and time t + Δt. At time t + Δt, this same closed system consists of the material now within the control volume, plus the material that has just flowed out of the system between time t and time t + Δt. So there is p-V work that has been done on this closed system, and we can apply the closed system version of the first law to it. This leads to the open system version of the first law. However, for the open system within the control volume, there is no p-V work done on the part of the fixed control where no material is entering or leaving.
2.Other than 'flow work' for a control volume in an open flow system there cannot be any form of 'PdV' work as the control surface is fixed thereby not allowing any expansion or compression i.e, dV=0.

Am I correct?
Yes. Well said!

Chet

Likes 1 person
Chestermiller said:
Yes. There are really two systems that we are considering: 1. The open system within the boundaries of the control volume and 2. The closed system formed by the material within the control volume at time t, plus the material about to flow into the system between time t and time t + Δt. At time t + Δt, this same closed system consists of the material now within the control volume, plus the material that has just flowed out of the system between time t and time t + Δt. So there is p-V work that has been done on this closed system, and we can apply the closed system version of the first law to it. This leads to the open system version of the first law. However, for the open system within the control volume, there is no p-V work done on the part of the fixed control where no material is entering or leaving.

Chet

Thanks for clarifying Chet!

Are you familiar with the equation for the reversible work output for a steady flow device?

Wrev= -∫VdP-Δ(k.e.)-Δ(p.e.)

I am not very convinced about the way they use the second TdS relation i.e, TdS=dh-VdP for a closed system into the differential form of the steady flow energy equation to arrive at that conclusion.

Are they considering unit mass of fluid in flow both as part of the control volume for the open system and also as a closed system itself such that they apply the S.F.E.E. and the first law for a closed system?

δqrev=du+d(k.e.)+d(p.e.)+d(pv)+δwrev and

δqrev=du+pdV

such that,du+pdV=du+d(k.e.)+d(p.e.)+d(pv)+δwrev

or,du+pdV=du+d(k.e.)+d(p.e.)+pdV+Vdp+δwrev

or,wrev= -∫VdP-Δ(k.e.)-Δ(p.e.)

Is it the way I am thinking?

Soumalya said:
Thanks for clarifying Chet!

Are you familiar with the equation for the reversible work output for a steady flow device?

Wrev= -∫VdP-Δ(k.e.)-Δ(p.e.)

I am not very convinced about the way they use the second TdS relation i.e, TdS=dh-VdP for a closed system into the differential form of the steady flow energy equation to arrive at that conclusion.
This relationship TdS=dh-VdP is independent of whether some system is open or closed. It is a fundamental physical property relationship for the particular material under consideration.

Are they considering unit mass of fluid in flow both as part of the control volume for the open system and also as a closed system itself such that they apply the S.F.E.E. and the first law for a closed system?
What does SFEE stand for?

They are considering what happens to a unit mass in its transition between inlet to the control volume and the exit from the control volume.
δqrev=du+d(k.e.)+d(p.e.)+d(pv)+δwrev and

δqrev=du+pdV

such that,du+pdV=du+d(k.e.)+d(p.e.)+d(pv)+δwrev

or,du+pdV=du+d(k.e.)+d(p.e.)+pdV+Vdp+δwrev

or,wrev= -∫VdP-Δ(k.e.)-Δ(p.e.)

Is it the way I am thinking?
This is basically correct. If you want to read more about this, consult Smith and Van Ness' section on the Bernoulli equation p 217.

Also note, that, in this equation, wrev represents the reversible shaft work. Examples of shaft work include work done by pumps, turbines, and compressors on the fluid as it passes through the control volume.

Chet

Likes 1 person

1. What is the difference between flow work and PdV work?

Flow work is the work done by a fluid as it flows through a system, while PdV work is the work done by changing the volume of a system. Flow work involves the movement of the fluid and is typically associated with pumps and turbines, while PdV work involves the compression or expansion of a gas and is typically associated with pistons and cylinders.

2. Can PdV work be valid for both closed and open systems?

Yes, PdV work can be valid for both closed and open systems. In a closed system, the volume of the system remains constant and PdV work is done when the pressure changes. In an open system, the volume of the system can change and PdV work is done when the pressure changes and the system expands or contracts.

3. How is PdV work calculated?

PdV work can be calculated by multiplying the change in volume (dV) by the pressure (P). This can be represented by the equation PdV = PdV. The units of PdV work are typically Joules (J) or Newton-meters (Nm).

4. Is PdV work a reversible process?

Yes, PdV work is a reversible process. This means that if the system is returned to its original state, the PdV work done will be equal to the work required to return the system to its original state. In other words, the process can be reversed without any loss of energy or work.

5. What is the significance of PdV work in thermodynamics?

PdV work is significant in thermodynamics because it is a form of energy transfer that is associated with changes in volume and pressure. It is an important component in the First Law of Thermodynamics, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. PdV work is also used to calculate the internal energy of a system, which is a key parameter in thermodynamic analyses.