Flowmetry: find height of fluid in cylinder

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Name15
Messages
30
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement


A cylinder with varying diameters is being filled and emptied at the same time. The time is measured.
I know Flow rate into cylinder. How do I find the height of fluid in the cylinder at a particular time?

The diameter of the hole is 0.005m.
The diameter of the bottom of the cylinder is 4cm.
The diameter of the top of the cylinder is 6cm.

I don't know Qout nor height, h.

Homework Equations


Qout= A. Cd. SQRT(2.g.h)

The Attempt at a Solution


At time=0 sec: change in height of fluid is 0
At time=1 sec: change in height of fluid is (Qin-Qout)/Area of cylinder
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You have a first-order differential equation to solve:
##d\over dt ## holdup = Qin - Qout
where
holdup is a function of h(t)
and
Qout is a function of h(t)

Your initial condition (if what you write is correct) is ##d\over dt ## holdup = 0 at t=0

Substitute the appropriate expressions for holdup(h) and Qout(h)