Solving Fluid Dynamics Question on Droplet Shape

In summary, the author is looking for information on how to determine the shape of a water droplet. There are several parameters that are required to fit a profile, the contact angle being one of them.
mdergance3
Hi everyone. I've been out of college for some time and forgot how to determine the shape of a droplet. I know how to determine the contact angle based on the interracial energies of three mediums, but I'm not sure how to calculate the actual shape of the hanging drop. In my scenario I have a drop hanging form a flat surface. I know the derivative (dh/dr) of the droplet profile is zero at the maximum hanging height, and is equal to the tangent of the contact angle at the h=0. How do I determine the actual profile of the droplet? I originally thought that surface tension would be equal across the surface but then I realized that is not the case. I also know that the droplet wants to assume the smallest surface area to volume ratio possible.

Any ideas as to where I can get some more bounding conditions for the profile shape of the water droplet?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds tough, are you sure there is an analytic solution to this?

There is, but it's not a simple one: it's the Laplace equation [itex]\Delta P = -2 \gamma\kappa[/itex] where P is the pressure jump across the boundary, [itex] \gamma [/itex] the interfacial energy, and [itex] \kappa [/itex] the curvature. The pressure jump is given by the hydrostatic pressure difference due to gravity and different densities.

For a hanging drop or sessile drop:

http://resources.metapress.com/pdf-preview.axd?code=n510973p8675h585&size=largest

But there are several parameters that are required to fit a profile- the contact angle, for example.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6WHR-45PV3X9-3&_user=10&_coverDate=12%2F15%2F1997&_rdoc=1&_fmt=high&_orig=search&_origin=search&_sort=d&_docanchor=&view=c&_searchStrId=1647833937&_rerunOrigin=google&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=afccbc3992579948e48ac243e38edd16&searchtype=a

1. What is fluid dynamics?

Fluid dynamics is the study of the motion and behavior of fluids, including liquids and gases. It involves understanding how fluids move and interact with each other and with their surroundings.

2. How does droplet shape affect fluid dynamics?

The shape of a droplet can greatly impact the way it moves and interacts with its surroundings. For example, a droplet with a larger surface area may experience more drag and resistance as it moves through a fluid, while a droplet with a more streamlined shape may experience less resistance and move more efficiently.

3. What factors influence the shape of a droplet?

The shape of a droplet can be influenced by various factors, such as the surface tension of the fluid, the velocity at which the droplet is moving, and the presence of other droplets or particles in the fluid that may affect its shape.

4. How do scientists solve fluid dynamics questions on droplet shape?

Scientists use mathematical equations and computer simulations to model and analyze the behavior of fluids, including droplets. They may also conduct experiments to observe and measure the effects of different factors on droplet shape and fluid dynamics.

5. Why is understanding droplet shape important in fluid dynamics?

Understanding droplet shape is important in fluid dynamics because it can help us predict and control the behavior of fluids in various applications. For example, in industries such as aerospace and automotive, understanding how droplet shape affects fluid dynamics can help engineers design more efficient and aerodynamic vehicles. In medical and environmental fields, it can aid in understanding the behavior of fluids in biological systems and natural phenomena such as rain or ocean currents.