Fluid Dynamics: Conservation of momentum equation

In summary, this equation represents the pressure force acting on two different sections of a control volume, and it is based on the hydrostatic pressure at the top of the fluid layer.
Feodalherren

Homework Statement

Untitled.png

Homework Equations

Conservation of linear momentum for fluids

The Attempt at a Solution

This seemingly simple problem has me confused. First of all, I want to set up the sum of the foces as:

-Min + Mout -Fx = 0

So first of all, not only does my Fx term have the wrong sign, I'm missing an entire term! How did he arrive at the final equation and where does the last term come from, what does it symbolize?!

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't like the way they wrote the equation. I would write it as:
$$F_{AX}=\frac{1}{2}γ_wh_1A_1+v_1ρv_1A_1-v_2sin20ρv_2A_2$$
The first term on the right hand side represents the pressure force (hydrostatic) acting on section 1 of the control volume. The second term represents the horizontal momentum entering the control volume at section 1. The third term represents the horizontal momentum exiting the control volume at section 2.

Hope this helps.

Chet

Likes Feodalherren
That looks a lot more sensible to me, thanks. Can you elaborate on the hydrostatic pressure force? It seems to me like this is the only problem where that pops up and we did that material months ago.

Feodalherren said:
That looks a lot more sensible to me, thanks. Can you elaborate on the hydrostatic pressure force? It seems to me like this is the only problem where that pops up and we did that material months ago.
You have an open channel, so, at the top of the fluid layer, the pressure is atmospheric pressure. At depth z, the gauge pressure is γw z. If you integrate this gauge pressure variation over section A, you get the first term on the right hand side of the equation. Atmospheric pressure contributes on all the surfaces of the control volume, so it cancels out. The hydrostatic pressure force at section 2 is negligible, because the pressures on both sides of the layer are atmospheric, and the gauge pressures are zero.

Chet

1. What is the conservation of momentum equation in fluid dynamics?

The conservation of momentum equation in fluid dynamics is a fundamental principle that states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant over time, unless acted upon by external forces. It is represented by the equation: ρu + ρ(v+w) = C, where ρ is the density of the fluid, u, v, and w are the velocities in the x, y, and z directions respectively, and C is a constant.

2. Why is the conservation of momentum important in fluid dynamics?

The conservation of momentum is important in fluid dynamics because it allows us to predict and analyze the motion of fluids in a variety of scenarios. It is a fundamental principle that governs the behavior of fluids and is used in many applications, such as designing airplanes, ships, and other vehicles that move through fluids.

3. What is the difference between the conservation of momentum equation and the Bernoulli's equation?

The conservation of momentum equation and the Bernoulli's equation are both important principles in fluid dynamics, but they are used for different purposes. The conservation of momentum equation applies to a closed system, where the total momentum remains constant. On the other hand, Bernoulli's equation applies to an open system, where the fluid is flowing and there is a change in pressure due to changes in velocity.

4. How does the conservation of momentum equation relate to Newton's laws of motion?

The conservation of momentum equation is closely related to Newton's laws of motion. In fact, it can be derived from Newton's second law, which states that the net force acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. In fluid dynamics, this translates to the change in momentum of a fluid being equal to the net force acting on it.

5. Can the conservation of momentum equation be applied to both liquids and gases?

Yes, the conservation of momentum equation can be applied to both liquids and gases. This is because both liquids and gases are considered fluids and they both follow the same principles of fluid dynamics. However, the equation may need to be modified depending on the properties of the fluid, such as density and viscosity.