Fluid Dynamics - Small velocity field

In summary, the conversation discusses the evolution of a small velocity field relative to a rotating frame of reference, starting from rest. The equations governing this evolution are shown, with the final equation being derived from taking the curl of Euler's equation. The author faces confusion in getting the final equation due to the incompressibility condition, but suggests checking the work of Lighthill for further insight. The conversation ends with the author having difficulty in understanding the left hand side of one of the equations, which is eventually resolved by realizing that the question is in 3 dimensions rather than 2.
Deadstar
Suppose an inviscid, incompressible fluid is rotating uniformly with angular velocity [tex]\Omega[/tex]. Take Cartesian axes fixed in a frame rotating with that angular velocity.

Show that the evolution of a SMALL velocity field, [tex]u_1 = (u_1, v_1, w_1)[/tex], relative to the rotating axes and starting from rest is governed by...
[tex]\frac{\partial u_1}{\partial t} + 2 \Omega \times u_1 = -\frac{1}{\rho} \nabla p_1[/tex]
[tex]\nabla \cdot u_1 = 0[/tex]

By eliminating u1, v1 and w1 , show that
[tex](\frac{\partial^2}{\partial t^2}(\frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2} +\frac{\partial^2}{\partial y^2} + \frac{\partial^2}{\partial z^2}) + 4 \Omega^2 \frac{\partial^2}{\partial z^2})p_1 = 0[/tex]First of I have to show that...

[tex]2\Omega ( \frac{\partial u_1}{\partial y} - \frac{\partial v_1}{\partial x} ) = -\frac{1}{\rho} \nabla^2 p_1[/tex]
and
[tex]2\Omega ( \frac{\partial u_1}{\partial x} + \frac{\partial v_1}{\partial y} ) = \frac{\partial}{\partial t} ( \frac{\partial u_1}{\partial y} - \frac{\partial v_1}{\partial x})[/tex]

Which I can sort of do by taking dot product/cross product with respect to nabla except I can't justify why...
[tex](u_1 \cdot \nabla)2\Omega = 0[/tex]
and I don't see how the left hand side of...
[tex]2\Omega ( \frac{\partial u_1}{\partial x} + \frac{\partial v_1}{\partial y} ) = \frac{\partial}{\partial t} ( \frac{\partial u_1}{\partial y} - \frac{\partial v_1}{\partial x})[/tex]
is not zero as it should be given the incompressible condition.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
does it not say that the angular velocity is uniform?

The final equation comes from taking the curl of Eulers equation.

Mat

hunt_mat said:
does it not say that the angular velocity is uniform?
Mat

Do you mean for this equation?

[tex](u_1 \cdot \nabla)2\Omega = 0[/tex]

If so then yeah I know it should've been something else there but I've sorted that part anyway now (latex wasn't showing earlier so probably added wrong equation).

hunt_mat said:
The final equation comes from taking the curl of Eulers equation.
Mat

Ok I can derive that last equation (the very last one in the OP) but the left hand side should be zero due to incompressibility should it not. Even with that sorted I still don't see how to get the equation I'm after. (The one lacking u1,v1 and w1)...

What do you get?

hunt_mat said:
What do you get?

For what? After getting these equations...

[tex]2\Omega ( \frac{\partial u_1}{\partial y} - \frac{\partial v_1}{\partial x} ) = -\frac{1}{\rho} \nabla^2 p_1[/tex]
and

I can't see any way to use them to get the final equation.

I am confused slightly, at one point you're referring to [itex]\Omega[/itex] as a vector and then as a scalar. can you tell me what the vector [itex]\Omega[/itex] is please.
Just to make thing clear, you're writing the Euler equation as:
[tex]
\frac{\partial\mathbf{u}}{\partial t}=-\frac{1}{\rho}\nabla p
[/tex]
As the velocity field is small, you're ignoring the advection term?

Ok I think I'm just going to have to leave this question alone.

This thread has only confused me more.

Lighthill did some work on this, you might want to check his stuff.

hunt_mat said:
Lighthill did some work on this, you might want to check his stuff.

Don't really have time to be honest. Fluid dynamics exam today and this was only question out of 50 from our book or so that I can't do. I suppose I just need to know one thing which is why is the left hand side of [tex]2\Omega ( \frac{\partial u_1}{\partial x} + \frac{\partial v_1}{\partial y} ) = \frac{\partial}{\partial t} ( \frac{\partial u_1}{\partial y} - \frac{\partial v_1}{\partial x})[/tex] not zero? (Or is it and the author just chose to be awkward and write it like that?)

Omega is the angular velocity so is just [tex](0,0,\omega)[/tex] as standard.

I think it is because the continuity equations is:
[tex]
\frac{\partial u_{1}}{\partial x}+\frac{\partial v_{1}}{\partial y}+\frac{\partial w_{1}}{\partial z}=0
[/tex]
and so:
[tex]
\frac{\partial u_{1}}{\partial x}+\frac{\partial v_{1}}{\partial y}=-\frac{\partial w_{1}}{\partial z}
[/tex]

hunt_mat said:
I think it is because the continuity equations is:
[tex]
\frac{\partial u_{1}}{\partial x}+\frac{\partial v_{1}}{\partial y}+\frac{\partial w_{1}}{\partial z}=0
[/tex]
and so:
[tex]
\frac{\partial u_{1}}{\partial x}+\frac{\partial v_{1}}{\partial y}=-\frac{\partial w_{1}}{\partial z}
[/tex]

Oh **** sakes we're in 3 dimensions with this question aren't we...

That was you're problem?

hunt_mat said:
That was you're problem?

Just for that small part. 49 questions all in 2D so was sort of used to that.

But no I still can't get the final solution. But doesn't matter tbh.

1. What is fluid dynamics and why is it important?

Fluid dynamics is the study of how fluids (liquids and gases) move and interact with their surroundings. It is an important field of study as it can help us understand and predict the behavior of fluids in various scenarios, from weather patterns to the flow of blood in our bodies.

2. What is a small velocity field in fluid dynamics?

A small velocity field in fluid dynamics refers to a flow where the velocity of the fluid particles is relatively low. This is often seen in laminar flow, where the fluid particles move in parallel layers without mixing or turbulence. In contrast, large velocity fields involve higher velocities and can result in chaotic and turbulent flow.

3. How is fluid velocity measured in a small velocity field?

In a small velocity field, fluid velocity can be measured using a variety of instruments, such as a flowmeter or a pitot tube. These instruments can measure the speed and direction of the fluid flow at a specific point in the field. Another method is to use mathematical equations to calculate the velocity based on other known parameters, such as pressure and density.

4. What are some applications of small velocity fields in real-world scenarios?

Small velocity fields have numerous applications in various fields, including aerospace engineering, weather forecasting, and biology. For example, in aerospace engineering, understanding small velocity fields is crucial for designing efficient airfoils and reducing drag on aircraft. In weather forecasting, small velocity fields help predict the movement of air masses and the formation of storms. In biology, small velocity fields play a role in the circulation of blood and the movement of fluids within cells.

5. How does fluid viscosity affect small velocity fields?

Fluid viscosity, or the resistance of a fluid to flow, can have a significant impact on small velocity fields. In highly viscous fluids, such as honey or molasses, the velocity of the fluid particles is low, and the flow is more laminar. In contrast, low-viscosity fluids, such as water, have higher velocities and are more prone to turbulence. Viscosity also plays a role in the formation of boundary layers, which can affect the behavior of small velocity fields.