Calculating Force & Torque from Submersible Well Pump

In summary, the conversation discusses a submersible well pump pumping water and the forces involved. It is questioned whether the force exerted on the pump by the fluid is a linear vector force downward, torque, or a combination of both. The equation m1 u1 + m2 u2 = m1 v1 + m2 v2 and the concept of Δp1 = −Δp2 are mentioned as possible ways to calculate the magnitude of these forces. The conclusion is that there is likely a combination of both reaction forces involved and that there may not be any torque present.
aladinlamp

Homework Statement

Imagine this submersible well pump pumping water straight up

volume flow 1 liter/second
fluid speed 10m/s

Since pump is pushing on the fluid, fluid has to push on pump as well

Will it be linear vector force downward or torque or combination of both ?

How do i calculate their magnitude?

Homework Equations

m1 u1 + m2 u2 = m1 v1 + m2 v2

Also Δp1 = −Δp2

The Attempt at a Solution

I assume combination of both reaction forces.

Attachments

• pump.jpg
    pump.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 406
Physics news on Phys.org
Looking at the picture, the pump seems to eject water vertically, from the head located on its vertical axis of symmetry. So I think there is no torque to speak of.

Related to Calculating Force & Torque from Submersible Well Pump

1. How do you calculate the force and torque of a submersible well pump?

To calculate the force and torque of a submersible well pump, you will need to know the pump's power, efficiency, and speed. The formula for force is force = power/velocity, and the formula for torque is torque = (power x 60)/(2 x pi x speed).

2. What are the units of measurement for force and torque?

The units of measurement for force are typically newtons (N) or pounds (lbs), while the units for torque are usually newton-meters (Nm) or pound-feet (lb-ft).

3. How does the depth of the well affect the force and torque of a submersible well pump?

The depth of the well can affect the force and torque of a submersible well pump because the deeper the well, the higher the pressure the pump needs to overcome. This means that a larger force and torque will be required to pump the water to the surface.

4. Can the force and torque of a submersible well pump be affected by the type of fluid being pumped?

Yes, the force and torque of a submersible well pump can be affected by the type of fluid being pumped. Different fluids have different densities and viscosities, which can impact the amount of force and torque needed to pump them.

5. How can I increase the force and torque of my submersible well pump?

There are a few ways to increase the force and torque of a submersible well pump. One way is to increase the power of the pump by using a larger motor. Another way is to decrease the speed of the pump, which will increase the torque. Additionally, improving the efficiency of the pump can also increase the force and torque.