Calculating Oil Flow Speed: Density 850 kgm^3, Pipe Diameter 8 cm

In summary, the formula for calculating oil flow speed is v = Q/A, where v is the flow speed, Q is the volume flow rate, and A is the cross-sectional area of the pipe. The volume flow rate can be calculated by multiplying the fluid velocity by the cross-sectional area of the pipe, using the formula Q = Av. The value of density for this calculation is 850 kgm^3, which is typically provided by the manufacturer or can be measured using a density meter. To convert the pipe diameter from centimeters to meters, simply divide the diameter by 100, with a resulting diameter of 0.08 meters. The unit for oil flow speed is typically measured in meters per second (m/s).
ssb

Homework Statement

oil w/ density of 850 kgm^3 goes through a pipe diameter 8 cm at a rate of 9.5 liters / s.
what is the speed of the oil?

Homework Equations

v_1 = (dv/dt)/a_1 = (9.5*10^-3)/(pi(.04)^2) = 1.9 m/s

The Attempt at a Solution

i have the solution because this problem was given to me. I just don't understand where the 10^-3 came from and how it was derived.

Physics news on Phys.org
ssb said:
I just don't understand where the 10^-3 came from

It comes from converting the volume from litres into m^3.

The 10^-3 is a conversion factor. Since the given flow rate is in liters per second, and the desired units for velocity are meters per second, we need to convert from liters to cubic meters. There are 1000 liters in a cubic meter, so we use the conversion factor 10^-3 to convert from liters to cubic meters. This is why the 10^-3 is used in the equation.

What is the formula for calculating oil flow speed?

The formula for calculating oil flow speed is v = Q/A, where v is the flow speed, Q is the volume flow rate, and A is the cross-sectional area of the pipe.

How do I calculate the volume flow rate?

The volume flow rate can be calculated by multiplying the fluid velocity by the cross-sectional area of the pipe. In this case, the formula would be Q = Av.

What is the value of density for this calculation?

The density value for this calculation is 850 kgm^3. This value is typically provided by the manufacturer or can be measured using a density meter.

How do I convert the pipe diameter from centimeters to meters?

To convert the pipe diameter from centimeters to meters, simply divide the diameter by 100. In this case, the pipe diameter would be 0.08 meters.

Is there a specific unit for oil flow speed?

Yes, the unit for oil flow speed is typically measured in meters per second (m/s).