Hydraulic Entrance Loss Benefits: Fluid Flow 3K US GPM

In summary, by increasing the height of the rectangular entrance and decreasing the width or aspect ratio, you can improve the loss conditions and reduce the pressure drop.
mcampbell615
I am trying to determine the entrance loss benefits of changing the entrance conditions from water run-off (gravity flow) from a smooth (steel plate) surface into a rectangular channel box that is under induced suction. Currently, I believe that I am restricting water removal-flow through a rectangular, slotted entrance but am not sure how to calculate the potential benefits of increasing slot size, changing shape, etc. Attempting to remove approximately 3,000 US gallons per minute through a slot of 2.75-inches x 48-inches. I need to improve loss conditions by minimum of 12-inches of head in order to gain an appreciable benefit. HELP PLEASE!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Let me get back to you tomorrow. I have some good reference material at work that should help us solve this problem.

OK, looked into this - here is an approximate method.

The pressure drop across your rectangular entrance is the usual form:

DP = K * rho * vel ^2 / 2

DP = pressure drop
rho = density
vel = velocity = volumetric flow / cross sectional area

For now, use an entrance loss coefficient value of K = 0.32 for your channel.

Now, your velocity will decrease as you increase the height or width (height is better) of the rectangular entrance. This will decrease your velocity and pressure drop.

Determine your new entrance dimensions to reduce the pressure drop to the number you need.

Typed in a hurry - let me know if you have any questions.

Units? When I use units for rho=lbs/ft^3 (water = 62.48), and vel=ft/sec (mine = 7.3), I calculated a DP of 532. I'm not sure what my units are, but 532 sounds like I may be off by a factor of at least 100.

By the way edgepflow, I really appreciate your help!

mcampbell615 said:
Units? When I use units for rho=lbs/ft^3 (water = 62.48), and vel=ft/sec (mine = 7.3), I calculated a DP of 532. I'm not sure what my units are, but 532 sounds like I may be off by a factor of at least 100.

You can make the units work by introducing the gc factor:

DP = K * rho * vel ^2 / ( 2 * gc )

where,

gc = 32.2 lbm-ft / (lbf-sec^2)

Multiply out your units or you can use MathCAD, programmable calculator, or some other digital package if you have access to it.

I also figured a K = 0.9 is a better number.

Some additional improvement in the calculation may be obtained by using the "hydraulic diameter" of the rectangular opening:

Dh = 2bh / (b+h) = 2h / (1 + AR)

where,

h = height of rectangular channel = 2.75 in.
b = width = 48 in

AR = aspect ration = height / width = 2.75 / 48 in = 0.057

Usually, the AR should be > 0.25, so there is some error here.

As you can see, as b and AR -> infinity, then Dh -> 2h. So it is best to increase height only to lower pressure drop. You could use Dh in your velocity calculation for better accuracy.

1. What is Hydraulic Entrance Loss?

Hydraulic entrance loss refers to the pressure drop that occurs as fluid enters a piping system. This is due to the change in velocity and direction of the fluid as it moves from a larger pipe diameter to a smaller one.

2. How is Hydraulic Entrance Loss Calculated?

The hydraulic entrance loss can be calculated using the Darcy-Weisbach equation, which takes into account factors such as pipe diameter, flow rate, and fluid properties. There are also online calculators and software programs available for more accurate calculations.

3. What are the Benefits of Reducing Hydraulic Entrance Loss?

Reducing hydraulic entrance loss can lead to improved system efficiency, as less energy is required to maintain the desired flow rate. It can also reduce the wear and tear on pipes and other components, leading to longer system lifespan and lower maintenance costs.

4. How Can Hydraulic Entrance Loss be Reduced?

Hydraulic entrance loss can be reduced by using larger pipe diameters, minimizing bends and other obstructions in the piping, and smoothing out rough surfaces. Proper design and regular maintenance can also help to reduce entrance loss.

5. What is the Typical Range of Hydraulic Entrance Loss for Fluid Flow of 3K US GPM?

The range of hydraulic entrance loss for fluid flow of 3K US GPM can vary depending on many factors such as pipe diameter, fluid properties, and system design. Generally, the entrance loss can range from 5-20% of the total pressure drop in the system.