Exploring Vorticity: Understanding Fluid Dynamics in Rolling Soup Cans

In summary, the conversation is about a person's observation of two soup cans of different types rolling down a slope and the surprising results they discovered. They mention researching vorticity and ask for more information on the energy and mechanics involved. They also inquire about the possibility of using mathematical models to understand this phenomenon.
alexsb92
Hi,

I was thinking the other day of two soup cans of different types(one cream one consomee) rolling down a slope. I was thinking that the non-cream one (consomee) will always roll longer, but was surprised to find out that past a certain angle the cream soup was going longer. By longer I mean the distance from the end of the slope.

So I did a bit of research and I found out about vorticity, and that's about it. But what I was really wondering is how is the energy imparted in these cans, and what is going on in there. Also why exactly did the cream one roll further for high angles?

To give you an idea of my level of Physics, I did take an AP Calculus course and I am currently taking AP Physics, so I can understand harder math and some vector calculus. The reason I posted this question in Advanced Physics is because of the AP courses which are more or less like first year courses.

Thanks,
Alex

PS:Is there some kind of Mathematical Model for Maple or Matlab? OR even just a mathematical model by itself?

Physics news on Phys.org

Related to Exploring Vorticity: Understanding Fluid Dynamics in Rolling Soup Cans

1. What is vorticity?

Vorticity is a measure of the local spinning motion of a fluid. It is typically represented by a vector that points in the direction of the axis of rotation and has a magnitude equal to twice the angular velocity of the fluid.

2. How does vorticity affect fluid dynamics?

Vorticity plays a crucial role in the behavior of fluids, as it influences the formation of eddies and turbulence. This, in turn, affects the rate of mixing and the transport of heat, mass, and momentum within the fluid.

3. What is the significance of studying vorticity in rolling soup cans?

Rolling soup cans provide a simple and practical example of vorticity in action. By observing the motion of the soup as the can rolls, we can gain a better understanding of how vorticity affects the behavior of fluids in more complex systems.

4. How is vorticity measured?

Vorticity can be measured using various techniques, such as flow visualization, particle image velocimetry, and hot-wire anemometry. These methods involve tracking the motion of particles within the fluid or measuring the velocity of the fluid at different points.

5. What are the real-world applications of studying vorticity?

The study of vorticity has numerous practical applications, including improving the design of aircraft wings and turbine blades, understanding weather patterns and ocean currents, and optimizing the efficiency of fluid systems in industries such as aerospace, automotive, and energy production.