Fluid mechanics flowrate problem

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a problem involving a long water trough of triangular cross section and determining the time it takes for the water depth to decrease from 2 ft to 1 ft. The equation used is the Bernoulli equation and the solution is found by integrating the variables of height and time. The correct answer is found to be 36.5 seconds after correcting a unit error.
PythagoreLove

Homework Statement

A long water trough of triangular cross section is formed from two planks as is show in Fig P3.66. A gap of 0.1 in. remains at the junction of the two planks. If the water depth initially was 2 ft, how long a time does it take for the water depth to reduce to 1 ft?

http://alkaspace.com/is.php?i=133522&img=Photo_du_643845.jpg

Homework Equations

Bernoulli equation
p+1/2[itex]\rho[/itex]V2+[itex]\gamma[/itex]z=constant

Conservation of the mass
V1A1=V2A2

The Attempt at a Solution

Q=water flow
V=Velocity of the water
A=Area
Vol=Volume of water
L=Length of the planks
z=height of the water level

A=0.1*L
Vol=L*z(t)2*tan(45)=z(t)2*L

Q=[itex]\frac{dVol}{dt}[/itex]=2z(t)*z'(t)*L

Q=V(t)*A=-0.1*L*V(t)

0.1*L*V(t)=2z(t)*z'(t)*L

0.1*V(t)=2z(t)*z'(t)

V(t)=20z(t)*z'(t) (EQ1)

With the bernoulli equation we can find the velocity of the water in fonction of the height of the water level

[itex]\gamma[/itex]z(t)=1/2*V(t)2*[itex]\rho[/itex]

V(t)=[itex]\sqrt{\frac{2z(t)\gamma}{\rho}}[/itex] (EQ2)

By combining EQ1 and EQ2
20z(t)*z'(t)=[itex]\sqrt{\frac{2z(t)\gamma}{\rho}}[/itex]

[itex]\sqrt{z}[/itex] dz = [itex]\frac{\sqrt{\frac{2\gamma}{\rho}}}{20}[/itex] dt

By integrate

-2z3/2/3 = [itex]\frac{\sqrt{\frac{2\gamma}{\rho}}}{20}[/itex]*t+C

When t=0, z=2 so C=1,89

if I put z=1, t=3.04s and the answer is 36.5s

I'm probably out of line, please help me.

PytLove

Physics news on Phys.org
I get your answer of 36.5 seconds. But what is the 3.04s?

I am sorry my sentence was wrong I meant:

when I put z=1, my answer is 3.04s. But the answer in the book is 36.5s.

I have no idea if my error is at the beginning of the problem or at the end. Please help.

PytLov

What are your units of gamma and rho? Are your terms in your equations uniform in units?

My solution is similar to yours. First I found an expression for the volume of the trough.

V = h^2

I use unit length to unclutter the equations. Then I take the derivative of the above expression.

I used Bernoulli's eqn. to get another expression for the rate of change of volume.
It is based on unit length as well.

I equate the derivatives. It is a variable separable differential equation. One variable is height, the other is time.

Then I integrate using definite integrals. The time integral goes from 0 to T. The height integral goes from 2 to 1. You wind up with an expression for T and it works out to be 36.5 seconds.

I found my error, I used 0.1*L for the area of the falling water but I needed to put it in feet. Thank you very much, you have no idea how much time I passed on that problem.

PytLov

Good for you!

1. What is the equation for calculating fluid flow rate?

The equation for calculating fluid flow rate is Q = A * v, where Q is the flow rate, A is the cross-sectional area of the pipe, and v is the velocity of the fluid.

2. How do I measure the flow rate of a fluid?

The most common way to measure the flow rate of a fluid is by using a flow meter. This device measures the volume of fluid passing through a specific point in a given amount of time.

3. What factors affect the flow rate of a fluid?

The flow rate of a fluid can be affected by several factors, including the viscosity of the fluid, the diameter and length of the pipe, the pressure and temperature of the fluid, and any obstacles or restrictions in the flow path.

4. How can I increase the flow rate of a fluid?

There are a few ways to increase the flow rate of a fluid, such as increasing the pressure, decreasing the viscosity of the fluid, or using a larger diameter pipe with a smoother surface.

5. Can the flow rate of a fluid be constant?

In most cases, the flow rate of a fluid is not constant and can vary depending on changes in the factors that affect it. However, in some cases, such as laminar flow, the flow rate can remain constant if the conditions do not change.