What are the oscillation modes in low-gravity capillary-dominated flow?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in low-gravity capillary-dominated flow, where the text introduces a velocity potential ##\hat u = \nabla \phi## and states that each oscillation mode is ##\partial_n\phi|_\Gamma = \nabla \phi \cdot \hat n|_\Gamma = \vec u \cdot \hat n|_\Gamma## where ##\Gamma## is the meniscus surface. The group then discusses the significance of this term and its relation to jump mass balance and momentum balance equations. The text being referenced is Low Gravity Fluid Mechanics by Myshkis et al. 1976, and one of the participants in the conversation mentions having worked with Lev Slo
member 428835
Hi PF!

I am solving a problem for low-gravity capillary-dominated flow, where liquid rests in a rectangular (2D) channel. The text I'm reading introduces a velocity potential ##\hat u = \nabla \phi##, and then states that each oscillation mode is ##\partial_n\phi|_\Gamma = \nabla \phi \cdot \hat n|_\Gamma = \vec u \cdot \hat n|_\Gamma## where ##\Gamma## is the meniscus surface. So oscillation modes are simply ##\vec u \cdot \hat n|_\Gamma##? I'm a little confused.

I'm thinking of a vibrating string, where modes are characterized by standing waves, which makes me think position, rather than normal components of velocity. Can someone explain this to me please?

Physics news on Phys.org
joshmccraney said:
Hi PF!

I am solving a problem for low-gravity capillary-dominated flow, where liquid rests in a rectangular (2D) channel. The text I'm reading introduces a velocity potential ##\hat u = \nabla \phi##, and then states that each oscillation mode is ##\partial_n\phi|_\Gamma = \nabla \phi \cdot \hat n|_\Gamma = \vec u \cdot \hat n|_\Gamma## where ##\Gamma## is the meniscus surface. So oscillation modes are simply ##\vec u \cdot \hat n|_\Gamma##? I'm a little confused.

What text are you reading? I have a good reference in my office (Slattery's Interfacial Transport Phenomena) that may have some insight.

Andy Resnick said:
What text are you reading? I have a good reference in my office (Slattery's Interfacial Transport Phenomena) that may have some insight.
I'm reading Low Gravity Fluid Mechanics by Myshkis et al. 1976.

joshmccraney said:
Hi PF!

I'm thinking of a vibrating string, where modes are characterized by standing waves, which makes me think position, rather than normal components of velocity. Can someone explain this to me please?

A clue: ##\vec u \cdot \hat n|_\Gamma## is the jump mass balance across a dividing surface; this term is associated with the speed of the dividing surface and there is a corresponding term like ##( \vec v - \vec u)(\vec v \cdot \vec n - \vec u \cdot \vec n)## in the jump momentum balance equation. I couldn't figure out how mode decomposition figures into this, tho.

joshmccraney said:
I'm reading Low Gravity Fluid Mechanics by Myshkis et al. 1976.

Huh... when I was a grad student, I had the good fortune to work with Lev Slobozhanin for a couple of years.

Andy Resnick said:
Huh... when I was a grad student, I had the good fortune to work with Lev Slobozhanin for a couple of years.
I'm unfamiliar with him (or her). I google searched them though, and it seems they're pretty on top of capillary phenomena. Thanks for your tip too.
Andy Resnick said:
A clue: ##\vec u \cdot \hat n|_\Gamma## is the jump mass balance across a dividing surface
Could you elaborate here? I just thought of it as the velocity component normal to the free surface.

joshmccraney said:
Could you elaborate here? I just thought of it as the velocity component normal to the free surface.

Lev is definitely a 'him'.

That velocity term is part of the total term representing a parcel of moving interfacial fluid- the particle can move, but the interface itself can move as well:

https://books.google.com/books?id=V...AEIKTAA#v=onepage&q=jump mass balance&f=false

When there is surface tension, the jump momentum balance incorporates local interfacial curvature (pressure jump):

http://herve.lemonnier.sci.free.fr/TPF/NE/03-Slides.pdf

1) What is low-gravity capillary-dominated flow?

Low-gravity capillary-dominated flow refers to a type of fluid flow that occurs in microgravity or low gravity environments, where surface tension forces dominate over gravity. This can happen in space or in laboratory settings with reduced gravity.

2) What are oscillation modes in low-gravity capillary-dominated flow?

Oscillation modes in low-gravity capillary-dominated flow refer to the different types of periodic oscillations that can occur in a fluid system under these conditions. These oscillations can include capillary waves, Marangoni waves, and other types of surface waves.

3) How do oscillation modes affect low-gravity capillary-dominated flow?

The different oscillation modes in low-gravity capillary-dominated flow can affect the behavior of the fluid system, influencing factors such as the rate of heat and mass transfer, mixing, and stability. Understanding and controlling these oscillation modes is important for various applications, such as in microfluidic devices and spacecraft propulsion systems.

4) What factors influence the type of oscillation mode in low-gravity capillary-dominated flow?

The type of oscillation mode in low-gravity capillary-dominated flow can be influenced by factors such as the surface tension of the fluid, the density and viscosity of the fluid, and the geometry and size of the container or channel in which the flow is occurring. Other factors, such as temperature gradients and external forces, can also play a role.

5) Why is understanding oscillation modes in low-gravity capillary-dominated flow important?

Understanding oscillation modes in low-gravity capillary-dominated flow is important for various scientific and technological applications. It can help researchers and engineers design and optimize fluid systems for use in space or in microgravity environments, and can also provide insights into fundamental fluid dynamics principles and phenomena.