1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fluids Help!

1. May 7, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A Partially evacuated airtight container has a tight-fitting lid of surface area 77m^2 and negligible mass. If the force required to remove the lid is 480N and the atmospheric pressure is 1x10^5 Pa, what is the air pressure inside the container?

2. Relevant equations

p=F/A

3. The attempt at a solution

p=F/A
    p=480N/77m^2

p=6.23Pa

This did not make sense to me, so i thought maybe it was the difference in pressures:

Po-Pd=Pf
    1x10^5-6.23Pa=99993.78Pa??

I don't think that is right either. Where I am going wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. May 7, 2008 #2
    It always helps to start off by balancing forces. There is a downward force on the lid due to the motion of the particles in the atmosphere (F_A). There is an upward force on the lid due to the motions of the particles in the container (F_C). And, finally there is a normal force exerted by the walls of the container on the lid - also in the upward direction (F_N). Maybe you can imagine this more easily by covering the container with a flat metal sheet instead of with a screw-top lid.

In the static case where you aren't doing anything to the container the forces are balanced:
    F_C + F_N - F_A = 0

In order to remove the lid you need to apply an additional upward force (F_you)

If F_you is too small, you will only decrease the size of the normal force that the container walls have to exert to support the atmosphere pressing down on the lid: F_N (F_N goes to F'_N):

F_C + F_you + F'_N - F_A = 0

What happens when F_you is big enough when F'_N goes to 0?

4. May 7, 2008 #3
    Would the lid be removed at that point because F_you cancels out F_N?

5. May 7, 2008 #4
    I'm lost on this. Any other suggestions?

6. May 7, 2008 #5

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think jinman's method is correct, but the input numbers as given are wrong somewhere.

77m^2 is an awfuly large size for a container lid. Reread the question in the book (or wherever you got it from) to see if that figure should really be something else.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?