Calculating Pressure Inside Airtight Container

In summary, the question is asking about the air pressure inside a partially evacuated airtight container with a tight-fitting lid of surface area 77m^2 and negligible mass, given that the force required to remove the lid is 480N and the atmospheric pressure is 1x10^5 Pa. The solution involves balancing forces and applying an additional upward force to remove the lid. However, there may be an error in the given surface area of the lid.
jinman

Homework Statement

A Partially evacuated airtight container has a tight-fitting lid of surface area 77m^2 and negligible mass. If the force required to remove the lid is 480N and the atmospheric pressure is 1x10^5 Pa, what is the air pressure inside the container?

Homework Equations

p=F/A

The Attempt at a Solution

p=F/A
p=480N/77m^2

p=6.23Pa

This did not make sense to me, so i thought maybe it was the difference in pressures:

Po-Pd=Pf
1x10^5-6.23Pa=99993.78Pa??

I don't think that is right either. Where I am going wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
It always helps to start off by balancing forces. There is a downward force on the lid due to the motion of the particles in the atmosphere (F_A). There is an upward force on the lid due to the motions of the particles in the container (F_C). And, finally there is a normal force exerted by the walls of the container on the lid - also in the upward direction (F_N). Maybe you can imagine this more easily by covering the container with a flat metal sheet instead of with a screw-top lid.

In the static case where you aren't doing anything to the container the forces are balanced:
F_C + F_N - F_A = 0

In order to remove the lid you need to apply an additional upward force (F_you)

If F_you is too small, you will only decrease the size of the normal force that the container walls have to exert to support the atmosphere pressing down on the lid: F_N (F_N goes to F'_N):

F_C + F_you + F'_N - F_A = 0

What happens when F_you is big enough when F'_N goes to 0?

Would the lid be removed at that point because F_you cancels out F_N?

I'm lost on this. Any other suggestions?

I think jinman's method is correct, but the input numbers as given are wrong somewhere.

77m^2 is an awfuly large size for a container lid. Reread the question in the book (or wherever you got it from) to see if that figure should really be something else.

1. How do you calculate the pressure inside an airtight container?

The pressure inside an airtight container can be calculated using the ideal gas law, which states that pressure (P) is equal to the product of the number of moles of gas (n), the universal gas constant (R), and the temperature (T) divided by the volume (V): P = (nRT)/V.

2. What units are used for pressure in the ideal gas law equation?

The ideal gas law equation can be solved using a variety of units for pressure, including Pascals (Pa), atmospheres (atm), millimeters of mercury (mmHg), and torr. It is important to ensure that all units used in the equation are consistent.

3. How does temperature affect the pressure inside an airtight container?

According to the ideal gas law, as temperature increases, so does the pressure inside the container. This is because the increased temperature causes the gas molecules to move faster and collide more frequently with the container walls, resulting in a greater force per unit area.

4. Why does the pressure inside an airtight container increase as the volume decreases?

The ideal gas law states that pressure is inversely proportional to volume. This means that as the volume of the container decreases, the pressure inside increases because the gas molecules have less space to move around and therefore collide more frequently with the container walls.

5. Can the pressure inside an airtight container ever be greater than atmospheric pressure?

Yes, the pressure inside an airtight container can be greater than atmospheric pressure. This is often seen in pressurized containers, such as scuba tanks or aerosol cans. These containers are designed to withstand the increased pressure and prevent them from exploding.