Flux --> Apparent magnitude ( only 1 source )

In summary, the conversation discusses the conversion between apparent magnitude and flux, and the challenge of eliminating the reference flux from the equation. The equation for apparent magnitude is m = -2.5 log (flux), and the closest one can get to eliminating the reference is by using units of flux where the reference is equal to 1. This means that the equation reduces to m = -2.5 log (flux) instead. A table of standard reference fluxes for different bands is also mentioned as a useful resource.
SpaceNerdz
Hi guys,

I've seen a lot of textbooks converting between 2 apparent magnitudes to the ratio of 2 fluxes. But I just want to know how to convert 1 ( ONE, UNO , 1, NOT 2 ) flux to 1 ( ONE, UNO, 1, NOT 2 ) 1 Apparent Magnitude. I think I saw my professor wrote this down, but am not sure . Is this correct :

Apparent Magnitude (m) = -2.5 log (Flux)

Again, I want to stress that I only want to know the magnitude/flux of 1 ( ONE, UNO , 1, NOT 2 ) source, and I don't want to / don't care / really don't care about 2 sources with different magnitudes/ have absolutely no information on any other reference magnitude from another source.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Hi SpaceNerdz,

Unfortunately, your request is in the same category as asking for a stick with just one end.

That is to say, the scale of apparent magnitude is by definition a scale that uses a fixed reference flux for its zero point.
To put it another way, magnitude X in EM band Y tells you how much weaker/stronger is the flux of the observed star when compared to a star with flux Z.

The closest you can get to "eliminating" the reference from the equation is to use units of flux where the m=0 reference flux is equal to 1, and flux of the target star is expressed as a fraction of the reference.
In such case the equation:

##m_x-m_0= -2.5 log (F_x/F_0)##

reduces to

##m_x= -2.5 log (F_x)##

since ##m_0=0## and ##F_0=1##

So, say, if the target star had 10 times the flux of the reference in a given band, you'd get apparent magnitude:

##m_x= -2.5 log (10)=-2.5##

Still that is just visually hiding the reference.

This link has got a table of standard reference fluxes for various bands:
http://www.astro.utoronto.ca/~patton/astro/mags.html
(the "photon flux" table half way down)

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Nugatory

1. What is flux and how is it related to apparent magnitude?

Flux is a measure of the amount of energy emitted by a source, such as a star or galaxy. Apparent magnitude is a measure of the brightness of a source as seen from Earth. The relationship between flux and apparent magnitude is inverse, meaning that as the flux of a source increases, its apparent magnitude decreases.

2. How is flux measured?

Flux is typically measured by using a device called a photometer, which detects the amount of light emitted by a source. This measurement is then converted into a numerical value using a standard unit of measurement, such as watts per square meter.

3. How is apparent magnitude calculated from flux?

Apparent magnitude is calculated using the formula m = -2.5log(F/F0), where m is the apparent magnitude, F is the flux of the source, and F0 is a reference flux value. This formula takes into account the inverse relationship between flux and apparent magnitude.

4. Why is apparent magnitude important in astronomy?

Apparent magnitude is important in astronomy because it allows scientists to compare the brightness of different objects in the sky. It also provides information about the distance and properties of a source, such as its temperature and size.

5. Can apparent magnitude be used to determine the distance of a source?

Yes, apparent magnitude can be used to determine the distance of a source by using the inverse square law, which states that the apparent brightness of a source decreases with the square of the distance. By comparing the apparent magnitude of a source to its known absolute magnitude, the distance can be calculated.