Flux density of solenoid beyond the pole

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
Jake110
Messages
31
Reaction score
0
I’m making a solenoid and I’m trying to work out how much force it exerts on an object X meters away from it. I’m using F=BIL to get the force but I don’t know the equation for getting the magnetic flux density of the solenoid other than B=(uNI)/L but that’s just for the centre and I need it for outside the solenoid but in line for the object to get pulled towards one of the poles.

Although I’m not sure if B=(uNI)/L is the right equation because the L in that and the L in F=BIL will cancel out when putting them together and it doesn't make sense if the length of the solenoid has no effect on the force it exerts.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
yes, that is exactly what i was looking for, thank you.