1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Flux, Luminosity, Distance, Size

1. May 5, 2007 #1
    1) You observed two galaxy clusters. You have determined the distance to Cluster A (by Cephied variables) to be 50 Mpc. You find the galaxies in Cluster B to be on average 16 times fainter than those in Cluster A. How far away is Cluster B? How does the (apparent) average size of galaxies in Cluster B compared to that of Cluster A?
    [Using the formula flux=luminosity/(4*pi*d^2), I have that the answer to the first part is 200 Mpc, but I don't know how to do the second part (in red), can someone please help me?]

2) The scale factor of the universe R(t) is equal to 1 (by definition) at the current epoch. This question compares the universe at a redshift of 0.8 to today.
    If 2 galaxies were in each other's gravitational potential, and orbiting each other with an orbital of 0.5 Mpc at z=0.8. Assuming the orbit is stable, how far apart are they today?

[can someone give me some hints? I really have no clue how to calculate this...]

Thanks a lot!:smile:
    Last edited: May 6, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. May 6, 2007 #2
    If the object is farther, the object's apparent size should be smaller....but what is the exact relationship?
  4. May 6, 2007 #3
    Can anyone please help me?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?