Flux Problem: Calculate from (4,6) to (2,6)

• Thread starter Chadlee88
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Flux
In summary, the conversation is about calculating the flux using the formula integral v.n dS, where v = -yi+xj, n = j, and the parametrization x = t, y = 6. The answer obtained is -6, but the correct answer is 6. It is suggested that this may be because the direction of the flux was assumed to be in the +y direction, while it may have been in the -y direction.
Chadlee88

Homework Statement

Calculate the flux:
line from (4,6) to (2,6)

using formula: integral v.n dS where v = -yi+xj

n = j
Parametrising:
x = t:
y = 6
Therefore r(t) = ti+6j
r'(t) = i
dS = |r't|dt =>dS = dt

v.n = (-6i+tj) . (j) => t

(As line is going from right to left (4,6) to (2,6))
Lower bound of integration = 4:
Upper bound of integration = 2:

Evaluation:

integral of t dt = t^2/2

therefore Answer is [2^2/2] - [4^2/2] = 2-8 = -6.

The correct answer I'm given is 6 but i don't know where I've gone wrong. could someone please tell me :biggrin:

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Depends on the direction of flux the question is interested in-- by taking n =j, you assumed they were interested in the flux in the +y direction-- maybe the question wanted the flux in the -y direction? (Which would give you the negative of the n you obtained)

1. What is a flux problem?

A flux problem is a mathematical concept that involves calculating the flow or movement of a substance or quantity over a given area or space. It is often used in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields.

2. How is flux calculated?

Flux is typically calculated by multiplying the magnitude of a vector, representing the quantity or substance, by the area over which it is flowing. This can be represented mathematically as Flux = Vector x Area.

3. What information is needed to calculate flux?

In order to calculate flux, you will need to know the magnitude and direction of the vector, as well as the area over which it is flowing. This information can be represented as numerical values or in a graphical format.

4. Can flux be negative?

Yes, flux can be negative. This typically occurs when the vector and the area are in opposite directions, resulting in a negative value for flux. This can represent a flow in the opposite direction or a decrease in the quantity or substance being measured.

5. How do you solve a flux problem with given coordinates?

To solve a flux problem with given coordinates, you will need to first plot the points on a graph to visualize the area over which the flux is being calculated. Then, use the formula Flux = Vector x Area to calculate the flux, making sure to use the correct units for both the vector and the area. Remember to also consider the direction of the vector when calculating the final answer.