Find Flux through a Disk in Electrostatics Question

• Thread starter Dell
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Disk Flux
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the flux through a disk with a radius of R and a charge q placed at a distance of R/2 perpendicular to the disk from its center. The individual provides calculations and a diagram showing their approach, using a spherical surface as their Gauss surface. The conversation also mentions using an integral over the surface of the spherical section to calculate the flux, with the correct answer being half of the calculated value. The expert reviewer notes that the calculations seem to be correct and cannot determine where the error may have occurred.
Dell
in this electrostatics question i have a disk with a radius of R, and i have a charge q placed at a distance of R/2 perpendicular to the disk from its centre. i am asked to find the flux through the disk

WHAT I DID:-- here are my calculations and i diagram
http://picasaweb.google.com/devanlevin/DropBox?authkey=Gv1sRgCL_4l4PpvP_YsQE#5312348851145303922

i take an imaginary "container" as my gauss surface, which is a half sphere "bowl" on one side and the "lid" is my disk. now the flux in through the bowl is my flux out through the lid since there is no charge inside my container,

i took a spherical surface with a radius of sqrt(5/4)R which is flat on one side(the disk -green in my diagram)since there is no internal charge, all the ingoing flux, (through the disk) is equal to the outgoing flux( through the spherical part)

now the area of the shere is 2pi*r*h which comes to [(5-sqrt5)/2]pi*R^2

flux=E*A=(Kq/r^2)*(2pi*r*h)

flux=0.27(q/epsilon) ===>which is the fluc throught the bowl part, so the flux throught the disk is

flux=(-0.27(q/epsilon)) right??

but the correct answer in my textbook is exactly half of this??
can anyone see where i have gone wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
That looks like an OK approach.

But isn't the integral over the outside surface of your spherical section about the same to calculate as just doing the rings that make up the surface of the disk using the more straightforward ∫EcosθdA ?

but E is not constant for the surface of the disk, that is why i prefer the spere. can you not see how i can get an answer half what i got, because according to my book that is the correct one

Dell said:
but E is not constant for the surface of the disk, that is why i prefer the spere. can you not see how i can get an answer half what i got, because according to my book that is the correct one

To calculate the surface area of the spherical section in an integral still involves an integration in θ. You don't show enough of your work to tempt me to want to understand where you may have made an error.

i showed all my work in the atteched link,
but anyway i don't see how integrating the sphered part involves θ, since E is constant for a shpere with q in its centre, symetry, . the normal to the area and the field are ALWAYS at θ=0/180 between them
my work
http://picasaweb.google.com/devanlevin/DropBox?authkey=Gv1sRgCL_4l4PpvP_YsQE#5312348851145303922

Dell said:
i showed all my work in the atteched link,
but anyway i don't see how integrating the sphered part involves θ, since E is constant for a shpere with q in its centre, symetry, . the normal to the area and the field are ALWAYS at θ=0/180 between them
my work

Sorry. I see now that you did. I forgot that it was in the original image.

In reviewing your work, I approached it as taking the surface area of the spherical cap which is as you used 2πrh and I agree that it looks to come to

(5 - √5)/2*πR2

Noting then that the total surface area is 4πr2

And taking that radius as √5/2*R that yields a total surface area of 5πR2

Since Total Φ = Q/εo

Then through the spherical cap you get

Φ = Ac/AT * Q/εo = (5 - √5)/2*πR2 / 5πR2 * Q/εo

And since as you observed the disk projects onto the spherical cap ...

Basically I don't see from the variables that you have calculated it incorrectly. If your math is OK ... then I don't know what to say.

1. What is flux in electrostatics?

Flux is a measure of the flow of an electric field through a given surface. It is defined as the electric field passing through a surface divided by the area of the surface.

2. How do you find the flux through a disk in electrostatics?

To find the flux through a disk in electrostatics, you can use the formula Flux = Electric Field x Area. The electric field can be calculated using the formula E = (kQ)/r^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge of the disk, and r is the distance from the center of the disk to the point where the flux is being measured.

3. What is the unit of flux in electrostatics?

The unit of flux in electrostatics is Newton-meters squared per Coulomb (N·m^2/C).

4. How does the flux through a disk change with distance from the center?

The flux through a disk decreases with distance from the center. This is because the electric field strength decreases with distance from the center according to the inverse square law.

5. Can the flux through a disk be negative?

Yes, the flux through a disk can be negative. This happens when the electric field and the area vector are in opposite directions, resulting in a negative value for the flux. This can occur when the disk has a negative charge or when the electric field is directed away from the disk.