Flux through a nonconducting shell

• Thread starter reising1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Flux Shell
In summary, the flux through a spherical Gaussian surface concentric with a nonconducting spherical shell of uniformly spread charge of Q will only be affected by the charge of the particle, q, if the radius of the Gaussian surface is less than the inner radius of the shell. If the radius of the Gaussian surface is between the inner and outer radii of the shell, the flux will also be affected by a fraction of Q depending on the radius. And if the radius of the Gaussian surface is greater than the outer radius of the shell, the flux will be affected by both q and Q.
reising1
A particle of charge q is inside a nonconducting spherical shell of uniformly spread charge of Q. What is the flux through a spherical Gaussian surface concentric with the shell if the radius of this Gaussian surface is less than the shell's radius?

I know we can use the formula for Gauss' Law:
Flux = charge enclosed / Epsilon not.

However I am not sure specifically what the charge enclosed is. Certainly there is charge enclosed of size q, however is there not a portion of the Q charge enclosed since the Q is uniformly distributed?

Physics news on Phys.org
reising1 said:
... however is there not a portion of the Q charge enclosed since the Q is uniformly distributed?
Yes there is. Can you calculate what fraction of Q is enclosed by a Gaussian shell of radius r < R (R = radius of entire charge distribution)?

Sure, I could integrate to find that. However the answer appears to be that the only charge that contributes is the q, meaning that the answer is simply q/Epsilon not.

And hence the answer states that the charge Q does not play a role unless you are at a radius greater than or equal to R (where R = radius of entire charge distribution)

reising1 said:
Sure, I could integrate to find that. However the answer appears to be that the only charge that contributes is the q, meaning that the answer is simply q/Epsilon not.
What answer appears to be saying that? Do you know what the answer is?

Yes, this is a homework problem that I have the book's answer to.

Quoted from the answer: "If the radius of the G-sphere is less than that of the shell then the only charge enclosed by the G-sphere is the charge of the particle"

I now see what the problem is. A shell has two radii, one larger than the other.
Let a = smaller radius and b = larger radius.

If your Gaussian surface has radius r < a, then the only charge enclosed is q.
If your Gaussian surface has radius a < r < b, then the charge enclosed is q plus a fraction of Q that depends on r.
If your Gaussian surface has radius r > b, then the charge enclosed is q + Q.

Last edited:
Oh I understand. I assumed the "less than the shell's radius" was referring to the outer radius. The wording was a bit ambiguous. But yes, if it refers to the inner radius, this makes much more sense.

1. What is flux through a nonconducting shell?

Flux through a nonconducting shell refers to the amount of electric field passing through a nonconducting material, such as a dielectric shell or insulator. It is a measure of the number of electric field lines passing through a given surface area of the material.

2. How is flux through a nonconducting shell calculated?

Flux through a nonconducting shell can be calculated using Gauss's law, which states that the flux through a closed surface is equal to the charge enclosed by the surface divided by the permittivity of the material. This can be represented mathematically as Φ = Q/ε, where Φ is the flux, Q is the enclosed charge, and ε is the permittivity.

3. What factors affect the flux through a nonconducting shell?

The flux through a nonconducting shell is affected by several factors, including the magnitude of the electric field, the surface area of the material, and the permittivity of the material. The orientation of the material and the presence of other surrounding materials can also impact the flux.

4. Why is flux through a nonconducting shell important?

Flux through a nonconducting shell is important because it helps us understand the behavior of electric fields in materials and how they interact with charges. This concept is crucial in many applications, including electronics, circuit design, and understanding the behavior of materials in electrical systems.

5. How can the flux through a nonconducting shell be manipulated?

The flux through a nonconducting shell can be manipulated by changing the properties of the material, such as its permittivity or surface area. It can also be altered by changing the surrounding electric field or by introducing other materials that may affect the electric field lines passing through the material.