1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Flux through a nonconducting shell

1. Feb 25, 2010 #1
    A particle of charge q is inside a nonconducting spherical shell of uniformly spread charge of Q. What is the flux through a spherical Gaussian surface concentric with the shell if the radius of this Gaussian surface is less than the shell's radius?

I know we can use the formula for Gauss' Law:
    Flux = charge enclosed / Epsilon not.

However I am not sure specifically what the charge enclosed is. Certainly there is charge enclosed of size q, however is there not a portion of the Q charge enclosed since the Q is uniformly distributed?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2010 #2

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes there is. Can you calculate what fraction of Q is enclosed by a Gaussian shell of radius r < R (R = radius of entire charge distribution)?

4. Feb 25, 2010 #3
    Sure, I could integrate to find that. However the answer appears to be that the only charge that contributes is the q, meaning that the answer is simply q/Epsilon not.

5. Feb 25, 2010 #4
    And hence the answer states that the charge Q does not play a role unless you are at a radius greater than or equal to R (where R = radius of entire charge distribution)

6. Feb 25, 2010 #5

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What answer appears to be saying that? Do you know what the answer is?

7. Feb 25, 2010 #6
    Yes, this is a homework problem that I have the book's answer to.

8. Feb 25, 2010 #7
    Quoted from the answer: "If the radius of the G-sphere is less than that of the shell then the only charge enclosed by the G-sphere is the charge of the particle"

9. Feb 25, 2010 #8

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I now see what the problem is. A shell has two radii, one larger than the other.
    Let a = smaller radius and b = larger radius.

If your Gaussian surface has radius r < a, then the only charge enclosed is q.
    If your Gaussian surface has radius a < r < b, then the charge enclosed is q plus a fraction of Q that depends on r.
    If your Gaussian surface has radius r > b, then the charge enclosed is q + Q.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2010
  10. Feb 25, 2010 #9
    Oh I understand. I assumed the "less than the shell's radius" was referring to the outer radius. The wording was a bit ambiguous. But yes, if it refers to the inner radius, this makes much more sense.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook