1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Flux Through Gaussian Surface

Tags:
  1. Feb 8, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A metal sphere of radius a is surrounded by a metal shell of inner radius b and outer radius R, as shown in the diagram below. The flux through a spherical Gaussian surface located between a and b is 1.20Q/εo and the flux through a spherical Gaussian surface just outside R is 0.80Q/εo.
    a) What is the total charge on the inner sphere? (Express your answer as a multiple of Q. For example, if the total charge is 0.2Q, then input 0.2).
    prob19a-gif.34757.gif

2. Relevant equations
    flux=E4pi*r^2=Qenclosed/epsilon not

3. The attempt at a solution
    I understand that I need to use the ratios of 1.2Q/Enot=Qenclosed/Enot and .8Q/Enot=Qenclosed/Enot
    I'm just not sure what to do with these two things

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2017 #2
    Sorry for this question but do you understand what the meaning of ##Q_{enclosed}## is? If yes you should be able to see that the ##Q_{enclosed}## by the Gaussian surface given by the problem is equal to the charge of the metal sphere of radius a. And using the first of ratios you wrote you ll easily conclude that ##Q_{enclosed}## is equal to ...

4. Feb 9, 2017 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

It's "epsilon nought". I've heard video tutorials, from India I think, which pronounce it "not" instead of "nought".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted