Flyer Miles with Credit Cards: Benefits & Drawbacks

• Thread starter leroyjenkens
  • Start date
  • Tags
    credit card
In summary, the conversation was about using credit cards to accumulate frequent flyer miles without actually having to fly. The person was interested in getting credit cards that offer points for purchases and can be used for travel expenses. They were concerned about potential fees and the amount of money they would have to spend to earn enough miles. The conversation also mentioned a website that offers information about credit cards for frequent flyer miles and the possibility of paying mortgage and other expenses with credit cards to earn more miles. The conversation ended with a recommendation for more well-known credit cards and the importance of considering fees and interest rates.
leroyjenkens
I was reading this website about using credit cards to get flyer miles just by using the card and not having to actually fly to get the "frequent flyer miles", and I think I remember reading about someone here doing something like that.
I haven't left my city in probably about 15 years, so I need to do something about that. I was thinking if I could get a couple of credit cards that accumulate points by using them, and I could use those points towards plane tickets or hotels, that would be great. But I don't know the drawbacks of it. Is it impractical? Would I have to spend tons of money just to get enough to fly? Are there fees associate with these credit cards that make it not worth it? I've done some research so far, but the credit card websites don't seem to like to put the negative aspects up front, so you have to search in depth to find them. I looked at the Chase Preferred credit card, and for the first year it's $0 fee, but then becomes a $95 fee after that. I wouldn't be able to travel within the first year, so I don't want to be paying fees for these cards. At least not $95 in fees for each card. Does anyone here have any experience doing this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Nothing comes for free. For credit cards you'd have to spend a lot of money, perhaps many times the amount of a ticket to get mileage for a ticket. Here's a website that might help:

http://www.dailymarkets.com/creditcards/5-frequent-flyer-credit-cards-offering-bonus-miles/

You can do the math just notice that when you sign up they give you a bunch of points and sometimes waive the annual fee but later the second year they charge the fee and reduce the points to 10 miles per dollar spent.

jedishrfu said:
Nothing comes for free. For credit cards you'd have to spend a lot of money, perhaps many times the amount of a ticket to get mileage for a ticket. Here's a website that might help:

http://www.dailymarkets.com/creditcards/5-frequent-flyer-credit-cards-offering-bonus-miles/

You can do the math just notice that when you sign up they give you a bunch of points and sometimes waive the annual fee but later the second year they charge the fee and reduce the points to 10 miles per dollar spent.
Thanks for the reply, I'll check that out.

Yeah, I figured I'd have to spend a good amount of money to get decent mileage, but I thought I could just spend that money buying stuff I would normally buy anyway, like food and gas. And 10 miles per dollar spent seems pretty good to me.

yeah, okay that might work over time although I don't like the $95 yearly charge. I have Amex and Discover and don't remember paying a fee that high. If you don't care about the miles then maybe another card would be better.

leroyjenkens said:
Thanks for the reply, I'll check that out.

Yeah, I figured I'd have to spend a good amount of money to get decent mileage, but I thought I could just spend that money buying stuff I would normally buy anyway, like food and gas. And 10 miles per dollar spent seems pretty good to me.
That's what some folks do. I've heard of one person who pays their mortgage payment by credit card, as well as other expenses, but then pays off the charges at the end of the month. They get lots of miles for airline tickets at relatively low cost.

For business travelers, it makes sense, especially the club cards.

yeah, okay that might work over time although I don't like the $95 yearly charge. I have Amex and Discover and don't remember paying a fee that high. If you don't care about the miles then maybe another card would be better.
Yeah I don't like that either. There's another one I could get that's like 65$, but I was wondering if there were any without any yearly fees. I know they probably wouldn't get me as many miles. I saw one that was like 1 point per 20$ spent. I don't know how the conversion from points to miles goes, but if it's 1 to 1, that's pretty terrible.
How many miles per dollar spent do you get on your cards?
That's what some folks do. I've heard of one person who pays their mortgage payment by credit card, as well as other expenses, but then pays off the charges at the end of the month. They get lots of miles for airline tickets at relatively low cost.

For business travelers, it makes sense, especially the club cards.
That's what I would do. I've been doing that normally on my Vystar card, but I don't get any points or anything for using it. If I got a certain amount of miles per dollar spent, I'd just use that card to buy everything.
What are club cards?

Can you guys recommend any cards where there's either no fee or a small fee that gets decent miles per dollar spent?

Thanks.

Edit: I found a card called the Starwood preferred guest credit card, which gives me 25,000 points if I spend $5,000 in the first 6th months, which I would easily do if I used it to buy everything. This card has a $65 yearly fee after the first year, but I heard you can cancel these cards after you receive the points, and you get to keep the points to use to buy miles or stay at hotels or whatever, is that true?

Last edited:
you also need to look at the fees too. how much do you soak you on a late payment? How much interest do they charge?...

I prefer more famous cards like Amex, Discover, Mastercard as they are accepted most everywhere. I also like the cash back feature as that is more flexible than miles.

you also need to look at the fees too. how much do you soak you on a late payment? How much interest do they charge?...
Interest is pretty high, but I've never made a late credit card payment. I usually pay it off 2 days after I use it. I would pay it off right when I get home from the store, but it doesn't let me.
I prefer more famous cards like Amex, Discover, Mastercard as they are accepted most everywhere. I also like the cash back feature as that is more flexible than miles.
Interesting. I hate to ask so many questions, but this is all new to me.
So with the cards you have, you just use them to buy normal every day things and you get a 1:1 dollar to point ratio, which translates to a 1:1 point to mile ratio if used for air travel? And what is the cash back feature?
Thanks.

Just a couple of questions for anyone who knows. Are there any online bill paying services that allow me to use a credit card that don't charge? I tried my bank, but they only allow me to use their credit cards.

And my other question is is there a card that gives better than a 1:1 ratio of dollars spent to airline miles?

Thanks.

Edit: I'm a little confused. When you get airline miles from using these cards, do you actually get to travel that many miles? Because I'm reading something that makes it seem like "miles" is misleading.

Last edited:

1. What are flyer miles and how do they work?

Flyer miles are a type of loyalty program offered by credit card companies, where cardholders earn miles for every dollar spent on their card. These miles can then be redeemed for free or discounted flights, hotel stays, or other travel-related expenses. The amount of miles earned per dollar spent and the redemption options vary depending on the credit card company and their partnerships with airlines and hotels.

2. What are the benefits of using a credit card with flyer miles?

The main benefit of using a credit card with flyer miles is the ability to earn free or discounted travel. This can be especially valuable for frequent travelers or those who have a specific airline or hotel brand they prefer to use. Additionally, some credit cards offer other perks such as airport lounge access, travel insurance, and concierge services.

3. What are the drawbacks of using a credit card with flyer miles?

One drawback of using a credit card with flyer miles is that they often come with higher interest rates and annual fees compared to other credit cards. Additionally, the value of flyer miles can vary and may not always be enough to cover the full cost of a flight or hotel stay. It's important for cardholders to carefully consider the terms and conditions of their card and make sure they will be able to use the miles they earn.

4. How do I maximize my flyer miles rewards?

To maximize your flyer miles rewards, it's important to choose a credit card that aligns with your travel preferences and spending habits. Look for a card with a high earning rate and a variety of redemption options. It's also helpful to plan your purchases strategically and take advantage of any bonus offers or promotions. Some credit cards also offer the ability to transfer miles to partner airlines or hotels, which can increase the value of your rewards.

5. Are flyer miles worth it in the long run?

The value of flyer miles can vary and it ultimately depends on how you use them. If you are able to use them for free or discounted travel that you would have otherwise paid for, then they can be very valuable. However, if you are unable to redeem your miles or the value of your rewards decreases, then they may not be worth it in the long run. It's important to carefully consider your spending habits and travel plans before deciding if a credit card with flyer miles is worth it for you.