Flywheels and Rotational Motion

In summary, one potential solution for a low-pollution automobile is to use a heavy rotating flywheel with a mass of 240 kg. This flywheel should be able to travel 300 km without needing to be spun up, assuming equal uphill and downhill travel and an average frictional retarding force of 500 N. Using the formula K_rot = (1/2)IW^2, it can be shown that the total energy needed to be stored in the flywheel is approximately 1.6 x 10^8 J. However, there are some potential safety concerns regarding the containment and spinup of the flywheel, as well as the potential for excess energy during travel.
Soaring Crane
One possibility for a low-pollution automobile is for it to use energy stored in a heavy rotating flywheel of mass 240 kg, and should be able to travel 300 km (300,000 m) without needing a flywheel "spinup."

Make reasonable assumptions (avg. frictional retarding force 500 N, 20 acceleration periods from rest to 90 km/h or 25 m/s, equal uphill and downhill --assuming during downhill, energy can be put back into the flywheel), and show that the total energy needed to be stored in fly wheel is about 1.6 x 10^8 J.

I need help to start this proof. Do you use K_i + U_i = K_f + U_f? What do I do from here?

Thanks for any pointers.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
try using K_rotatational also
k_rot = (1/2)IW^2 --> I is inertia, W is omega (angular speed)

What happens to the energy stored in the flywheel if you should be come involved in an accident? I have visions of a massive flywheel with a large rotational kinetic energy busting loose from its housing and ripping off down the road destroying car after car, each of which releases a flywheel! Talk about a chain reaction accident!

Yeah, I know that is a bit extreme, but containment is an issue.

Also spinups will be necessary. Suppose I drive from my home at 100m to spend a week in the mountains at 1000m? A spinup may well be necessary to meet my needs for a week. Now on the way home, I may find myself with more energy to store then the flywheel is designed for.

Just some thoughts, the fact is, for years I have speculated about using a flywheel for automotive energy storage.

Now to address your question!

According to your assumptions the only loss will be that due to friction. If you simply compute the work done by your friction force over 300km, you should have your answer.

1. What is a flywheel and how does it work?

A flywheel is a mechanical device that stores rotational energy by spinning rapidly. It works by converting kinetic energy into potential energy as it spins, and then converting that potential energy back into kinetic energy when needed.

2. What is the purpose of a flywheel in an engine?

A flywheel in an engine helps to stabilize the rotational motion and maintain a constant speed. It also stores energy and helps to smoothen out power fluctuations, resulting in a more efficient and consistent engine performance.

3. Can flywheels be used for energy storage?

Yes, flywheels can be used for energy storage in various applications such as power grids, transportation systems, and renewable energy systems. They are able to store and release energy quickly and efficiently, making them a promising option for energy storage.

4. What factors affect the performance of a flywheel?

The performance of a flywheel is affected by its size, shape, and material. A larger and heavier flywheel can store more energy, while a more compact and lightweight flywheel can spin faster. The material used also plays a role, with materials that have high strength and low friction being preferred for better performance.

5. Can flywheels be used for energy-efficient transportation?

Yes, flywheels can be used in transportation systems as a way to capture and store energy from braking and use it to power the vehicle. This can result in improved fuel efficiency and reduced emissions, making it a more environmentally friendly option.