Determing Height To Which A Projectile Will Rise

In summary: Given the initial velocity of 9.6 km/s this mass is going to rise more than 4000 km. It may not be reasonable to assume that g has a constant value to that elevation.
Bashyboy

Homework Statement

At the Earth's surface, a projectile is launched straight up at a speed of 9.6 km/s. To what height will it rise? Ignore air resistance and the rotation of the Earth.

Homework Equations

Conservation of mechanical energy [itex]K_i + U_i = K_f + U_f[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I am quite confident that I chose the correct formula to solve this problem; however, I have a few questions regarding the formula itself.

I know that [itex]K_i[/itex] and [itex]U_i[/itex] won't be zero, because the projectile has an initial velocity and it is above the surface of the earth. Would [itex]K_f[/itex] be zero, though; because we are considering the highest point the projectile will reach, and gravity will necessary reduce its speed to zero, corresponding to the highest point. Because [itex]K_f = 0[/itex], [itex]U_f[/itex] can't equal zero, right? What would the situation be like if it was negative, how about positive?

Physics news on Phys.org
Bashyboy said:

Homework Statement

At the Earth's surface, a projectile is launched straight up at a speed of 9.6 km/s. To what height will it rise? Ignore air resistance and the rotation of the Earth.

Homework Equations

Conservation of mechanical energy [itex]K_i + U_i = K_f + U_f[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I am quite confident that I chose the correct formula to solve this problem; however, I have a few questions regarding the formula itself.

I know that [itex]K_i[/itex] and [itex]U_i[/itex] won't be zero, because the projectile has an initial velocity and it is above the surface of the earth. Would [itex]K_f[/itex] be zero, though; because we are considering the highest point the projectile will reach, and gravity will necessary reduce its speed to zero, corresponding to the highest point. Because [itex]K_f = 0[/itex], [itex]U_f[/itex] can't equal zero, right? What would the situation be like if it was negative, how about positive?

There seems to be a contradiction in the two pieces I have shaded red.

Energy is a scalar - so is neither positive nor negative. That makes your final sentence rather curious.

PeterO said:
Energy is a scalar - so is neither positive nor negative.
Last time I checked, scalars had signs.

Bashyboy said:
I know that [itex]K_i[/itex] and [itex]U_i[/itex] won't be zero, because the projectile has an initial velocity and it is above the surface of the earth.
Only differences between potential energies have physical meaning, so the zero point is arbitrary; you can set the potential energy to zero at any convenient point.
Would [itex]K_f[/itex] be zero, though; because we are considering the highest point the projectile will reach, and gravity will necessary reduce its speed to zero, corresponding to the highest point.
Well, would it?

tms said:
Well, would it?

If had the knowledge to answer your question, then I wouldn't have asked my question in the first place.

PeterO said:
There seems to be a contradiction in the two pieces I have shaded red.

Yes, I suppose I can see how the ambiguity could arise. What I intended for the statement, "..it is above the surface of the earth," was that the projectile wasn't below the the surface, that is, underground.

Bashyboy said:
Yes, I suppose I can see how the ambiguity could arise. What I intended for the statement, "..it is above the surface of the earth," was that the projectile wasn't below the the surface, that is, underground.

Above the surface and below the surface represent only 2 of the 3 possibilities for the projectile's original position.

The opening words referred to that 3rd possibility.

Bashyboy said:
If had the knowledge to answer your question, then I wouldn't have asked my question in the first place.
Surely you have enough knowledge by now to say what the kinetic energy of an object with zero velocity is.

If you really don't know how to calculate kinetic energy, rather than using energy, you could solve this problem with the basic [itex]h(t)= h_0+ v_0t- (g/2)t^2[/itex].

You can take [itex]h_0[/itex] to be 0 at the surface of the Earth and you are given that [itex]v_0= 9.6[/itex]. Of course, g= 9.82 m/s^2, approximately.

HallsofIvy said:
If you really don't know how to calculate kinetic energy, rather than using energy, you could solve this problem with the basic [itex]h(t)= h_0+ v_0t- (g/2)t^2[/itex].

You can take [itex]h_0[/itex] to be 0 at the surface of the Earth and you are given that [itex]v_0= 9.6[/itex]. Of course, g= 9.82 m/s^2, approximately.

Given the initial velocity of 9.6 km/s this mass is going to rise more than 4000 km. It may not be reasonable to assume that g has a constant value to that elevation.

You probably need a potential energy formula like U = -GMm/R

What is a projectile?

A projectile is any object that is thrown, shot or launched through the air and moves under the force of gravity.

What factors affect the height to which a projectile will rise?

The height to which a projectile will rise is affected by several factors, including the initial velocity, angle of launch, air resistance, and gravitational force.

How do you calculate the height to which a projectile will rise?

The height to which a projectile will rise can be calculated using the equation h = (v^2*sin^2(theta))/(2g), where h is the maximum height, v is the initial velocity, theta is the angle of launch, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

What is the maximum height that a projectile can reach?

The maximum height that a projectile can reach depends on the initial velocity, angle of launch, and the acceleration due to gravity. In a vacuum, the maximum height will be equal to half of the square of the initial velocity divided by the acceleration due to gravity.

How does air resistance affect the height to which a projectile will rise?

Air resistance can decrease the height to which a projectile will rise by slowing down its upward motion. The amount of air resistance can vary depending on the shape and speed of the projectile.