Fock Operator for minimization

In summary, the Fock operator is a key tool in optimizing atomic orbitals and is derived from the variational principle. When applied to a wavefunction, it finds the best approximation for the true wavefunction with the lowest energy. If a wavefunction has four parameters to optimize, then four Fock equations are needed. The Fock operator takes into account all possible variations in the wavefunction, including changes in its variables, in order to fully optimize it.
jusy1
Hi everyone,

I have a question about the application of the Fock operator when we want to optimize, for example, an atomic orbital written as a product of Slater Orbitals.

I know that the appeareance of the Fock operator is due to the minimization of the <E> with respect to each wavefunction, using Lagrange multipliers.

Since we do not make any assumption about the mathematical form of the orbitals we may be using, if my wavefunction had four parameters to optimize:

[tex]\Psi = c_1(\frac{\zeta_1^3}{\pi})^{1/2}e^{-\zeta_1r} + c_2(\frac{\zeta_2^3}{\pi})^{1/2}e^{-\zeta_2r}[/tex]

Would I get 4 Fock equations, one for each parameter?

Because in most of the derivations of the Fock equation it's written [tex]dL[{\Psi_i}] = 0[/tex] But when we are considering an infinitesimal change on our wavefunction it can be on any of its variables: [tex]\frac{\partial L[{\Psi_i}]}{\partial \Psi_i}\frac{\partial \Psi_i}{\partial r_i}\partial r_i[/tex]

Is this right?

Thank you

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
for your question. The Fock operator is indeed a key tool in the optimization of atomic orbitals. The Fock operator is derived from the variational principle, which states that the energy of a system will be minimized with respect to the wavefunction. This means that when we apply the Fock operator to a wavefunction, we are essentially finding the best possible approximation to the true wavefunction that will give us the lowest possible energy.

To answer your question, if your wavefunction has four parameters to optimize, then yes, you would need to solve four Fock equations, one for each parameter. This is because each parameter will have a different effect on the overall wavefunction, and therefore will require its own equation to optimize it.

In terms of the infinitesimal change in the wavefunction, you are correct that it can be on any of its variables. This is because the Fock operator takes into account all possible variations in the wavefunction, including changes in its parameters. So, in order to fully optimize the wavefunction, we need to consider all possible changes in its variables.

I hope this helps to clarify the role of the Fock operator in optimizing atomic orbitals. Let me know if you have any other questions.

What is the Fock Operator for minimization?

The Fock Operator for minimization is a mathematical tool used in quantum mechanics to calculate the electronic energy of a system. It is used in conjunction with the variational principle to determine the ground state energy of a system.

How is the Fock Operator calculated?

The Fock Operator is calculated by taking the sum of the kinetic energy operator and the potential energy operator. These operators are used to represent the movement and interactions of electrons in a system, respectively.

What is the purpose of using the Fock Operator for minimization?

The Fock Operator is used to minimize the energy of a system, which is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics. By minimizing the energy, we can determine the most stable state of a system, also known as the ground state.

How is the Fock Operator used in electronic structure calculations?

In electronic structure calculations, the Fock Operator is used to solve the Schrödinger equation, which describes the behavior of electrons in a system. It is used in an iterative process to obtain increasingly accurate approximations of the ground state energy.

What are the limitations of the Fock Operator for minimization?

One limitation of the Fock Operator is that it assumes all electrons in a system are moving independently, which is not always the case. Additionally, it does not account for relativistic effects and can become computationally intensive for larger systems.