Questionable Skills of Cooking Show Hosts on Food Network

In summary: As for the rest of them, I wonder what they could do in a real kitchen with available ingredients. I'd love to have Bobby Flay show up at my door for a "Throwdown" cook-off to prepare hot sauces to see if he's got any chops. Yeah, he's got a line of hot sauces, but regardless of whose name is on the label, I've never found any commercially-produced sauces that could come close to mine in quality (not just heat). There are a lot of compromises...In summary, these channels crack me up. Bobby Flay, high school drop out that is dating the producer's daughter, Emeril Lagasee, and Rachel Ray, you've got
Moonbear said:
:rofl: Oh, I nearly laughed at the kid telling his mom in all seriousness that water can come from bottles too...you know, the way that only a 5 year old can try to sound serious when sharing something they are sure they know that their parents don't. :biggrin: It was adorably cute, just sad that the mom wasn't correcting this in a perfect place to explain.
It's so sad that his mother couldn't explain to him that water evaporates and then falls from the sky as rain and collects in ponds and pools that drain to feed streams, rivers and oceans. Isn't that widely known by elementary-school children?

Is city-life so isolating and "cocooning" that people don't manage to connect rain-showers and rivers with the water coming out of their faucets? Scary...

Physics news on Phys.org
Let's hope that he had asked where drinking water comes from and they had already passed the "water company" explanation of how water gets to homes and businesses via underground pipes. :bugeye:

But after listening to that woman on the rainbow video, I wouldn't be so sure. :frown:

lisab said:
When my daughter was 3 or 4, she knew chickens laid eggs (we had several hens in our back yard), but she thought that pigs laid hams.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Evo said:
But after listening to that woman on the rainbow video, I wouldn't be so sure. :frown:

But surely that is a farce playing to the stereotype that people are predisposed to think exist. (Not that dissimilar I think to fish that seem to strike at the most unbelievable lures.)

Anyone that can caption a video like that certainly knows a bit more than they would be letting on.

LowlyPion said:
But surely that is a farce playing to the stereotype that people are predisposed to think exist. (Not that dissimilar I think to fish that seem to strike at the most unbelievable lures.)

Anyone that can caption a video like that certainly knows a bit more than they would be letting on.
You over estimate the intelligence of the average American.

I have actually overheard the following conversations at work.

Evo said:
I know I've commented before about some of the amazing things that my co-workers have come up with like "Is Germany its own country?"

The guy that believes dinosaurs are faked by Darwinists because "you can make anything you want out of a pile of bones", was talking about the tv show "Are you smarter than a 5th grader?'. He was commenting on how difficult the questions on math and especially English are, like "conjecture, you know, like sentences, and dangling prospects".

And...

Evo said:
A conversation I just overheard.

Kyla: "Hey Jay, what is El Salvador?"

Jay: "It's a state in the country of Central America, maybe the capital".

Kyla: "Oh, like India!"

Jay: "Yes".

Oh and the reigning Miss America was on "Are you smarter than a 5th grader". The question was "What object in our solar system has the greatest mass? Her answer: "The Universe!".

Evo said:
Oh and the reigning Miss America was on "Are you smarter than a 5th grader". The question was "What object in our solar system has the greatest mass? Her answer: "The Universe!".

Isn't that totally off bounds to quote such an unreliable source as Miss America on any subject other than eyelash curlers?

LowlyPion said:
Isn't that totally off bounds to quote such an unreliable source as Miss America on any subject other than eyelash curlers?
To her credit, she was actually intelligent. If I were on tv, I might have said the Universe also. Except, her second answer was the Milky Way... At least she was getting closer. :biggrin:

Okay, NOW I remember why Iron Chef America is so pathetic. Another episode just started, and the secret "ingredient" is a whole assortment of fresh items from a farmer's market...squash, leeks, mushrooms, guinea hens, etc. There's no challenge here...they give them way too easy of ingredients to work with. I think the original was more interesting simply because they had such strange secret ingredients. It's not much of a challenge to incorporate fresh fruits and veggies into lots of dishes, but when you get something like octopus, that's a bit more challenging, especially if you want to include a dessert.

I don't know why, but I think Iron Chef America is very entertaining.

Moonbear said:
Okay, NOW I remember why Iron Chef America is so pathetic. Another episode just started, and the secret "ingredient" is a whole assortment of fresh items from a farmer's market...squash, leeks, mushrooms, guinea hens, etc. There's no challenge here...they give them way too easy of ingredients to work with. I think the original was more interesting simply because they had such strange secret ingredients. It's not much of a challenge to incorporate fresh fruits and veggies into lots of dishes, but when you get something like octopus, that's a bit more challenging, especially if you want to include a dessert.

They actually know the, "secret" ingredient in the Iron Chef America. I don't know but I assume that the Iron Chef Japan people, didn't know the secret ingriedient. I remember, Iron Chef, Morimoto standing and discussing what he was going to cook with his sous chefs right after they saw the secret ingredient. It looked genuine to me.

~christina~ said:
They actually know the, "secret" ingredient in the Iron Chef America.

How do you know this? I saw one episode where the challenger was talking about what he decided to make, and commented about planning ahead that if it was a fish, he'd make this dish...it didn't sound like he knew ahead it would be a fish, just that they try to plan for different types of food to already have some ideas of what they'd do with it. But that's why I find it kind of boring, because the secret ingredients are so ordinary that anyone with halfway decent culinary skills could plan ahead for general categories and have a good chance of being ready for whatever it is (i.e., if it's a fish, I'll make this, a poultry, that, red meats, something else in mind, vegetables, etc.)

I'd love to see how they handle a truly strange secret ingredient. Give them something like sea urchins or snails and see if they can think up more than one dish to make with it. Or give them a truly horrid cut of meat to work with...something like a really tough stew meat and see if they can do something with it in the hour long competition.

Did the Japanese one allow the chefs to bring their own ingredients and tools? I can't remember. It really ruined it for me when I learned that. I think it would be more interesting if they had to use only what was in kitchen stadium, and wasn't a competition of who had more resources to bring more stuff along with them.

The Japanese one was so much better. the secret ingredient could be anything tongue or pinecone or asbestos. And these chef's went to town pretty soon they were whipping up some squid ice cream and it looked pretty good.

In the original Iron Chef, not only was the ingredient usually unique, they also spent some time talking about the ingredient and showing where it came from, so you had some understanding.

Another HUGE difference that turns me off to the Amercan version is that they are forced to prepare 5 dishes. In the original Japanese version, there was no minimum number of dishes, which allowed the chef to focus more on quality and not on quantity. Part of the surprise was in hearing the announcement of how many dishes the chef was going to try to prepare, and then see if they were able to make them all. In the American version, all you see is the camera flying from one close up to another while Alton is talking a mile a minute. You don't actually get to watch more than 5 seconds at a time of anyone actually cooking. You see a flash of something being peeled, wine being splashed into a pan, a flame, someone's hand dropping meat into a pan. It's ridiculous. You can't get a feel for what they are preparing or why. Suddenly at the end after all these haphazard snippets, you see food appearing.

Moonbear said:
How do you know this? I saw one episode where the challenger was talking about what he decided to make, and commented about planning ahead that if it was a fish, he'd make this dish...it didn't sound like he knew ahead it would be a fish, just that they try to plan for different types of food to already have some ideas of what they'd do with it. But that's why I find it kind of boring, because the secret ingredients are so ordinary that anyone with halfway decent culinary skills could plan ahead for general categories and have a good chance of being ready for whatever it is (i.e., if it's a fish, I'll make this, a poultry, that, red meats, something else in mind, vegetables, etc.)
Well they talked about it on a nightly news program. They said that they give the chefs 3 possible secret ingredients and one will actually be presented to them. I don't find it to be too much of a challenge if you can plan what you are going to cook ahead of time.
Too bad, the "ingredients" are pretty normal. I remember the time on Iron chef Japan, the secret ingredient was a large tuna. Morimoto went and grilled the eyeballs of the fish. That was entertaining.
I'd love to see how they handle a truly strange secret ingredient. Give them something like sea urchins or snails and see if they can think up more than one dish to make with it. Or give them a truly horrid cut of meat to work with...something like a really tough stew meat and see if they can do something with it in the hour long competition.
Leftovers anyone? :biggrin:
Did the Japanese one allow the chefs to bring their own ingredients and tools? I can't remember. It really ruined it for me when I learned that. I think it would be more interesting if they had to use only what was in kitchen stadium, and wasn't a competition of who had more resources to bring more stuff along with them.
I thought that was on the American version. (I remember some sort of tool they brought in..a screwdriver and nails) I think that the competition is ruined if they know what they are cooking ahead of time as opposed to having extra tools.

Did anyone but me notice that the Iron Chef America cameras always turn away when it comes to killing things? Like fish? (seriously people) The Japanese version just gave it to you like it was.

And the announcer in the Japanese show would say something like "oh, I see what he's doing. He's going to chill the fish eyes and reduce the urine into a syrup." then they cut to the actress who says "MMMM, chilled" I wonder how accurate the translations were.

Why aren't the original Iron Chef shows available on DVD? I would buy all of them.

Evo said:
In the original Iron Chef, not only was the ingredient usually unique, they also spent some time talking about the ingredient and showing where it came from, so you had some understanding.

Another HUGE difference that turns me off to the Amercan version is that they are forced to prepare 5 dishes. In the original Japanese version, there was no minimum number of dishes, which allowed the chef to focus more on quality and not on quantity. Part of the surprise was in hearing the announcement of how many dishes the chef was going to try to prepare, and then see if they were able to make them all. In the American version, all you see is the camera flying from one close up to another while Alton is talking a mile a minute. You don't actually get to watch more than 5 seconds at a time of anyone actually cooking. You see a flash of something being peeled, wine being splashed into a pan, a flame, someone's hand dropping meat into a pan. It's ridiculous. You can't get a feel for what they are preparing or why. Suddenly at the end after all these haphazard snippets, you see food appearing.
I hadn't realized there was a rule on number of dishes (you can tell I don't watch the American version very much...I used to watch the Japanese version every chance I got). Yes, I remember that from the Japanese version, they'd actually pause on one chef for a while as they did something really interesting, and you could see some of how the technique was done.

~christina~ said:
Well they talked about it on a nightly news program. They said that they give the chefs 3 possible secret ingredients and one will actually be presented to them. I don't find it to be too much of a challenge if you can plan what you are going to cook ahead of time.
Ah, that would be consistent with the comments I heard on the show...if they were told a couple possible ingredients, and I heard them talking about strategizing about those, not that they were thinking of as many possibilities as they could ahead of time.

Too bad, the "ingredients" are pretty normal. I remember the time on Iron chef Japan, the secret ingredient was a large tuna. Morimoto went and grilled the eyeballs of the fish. That was entertaining.
I saw one where they garnished the ice cream with a sugared fin of a fish. I can't remember if the judges ate the fin though...they might have. That was half the fun, watching the judges eat fish ice cream just to see how they reacted. "Mmm, it's interesting. The fish gives a saltiness to the ice cream, and the squid ink is a nice touch."

Leftovers anyone? :biggrin:
:rofl: THAT would be a great secret ingredient! Give them something like a roast chicken and see what they can do with it. :biggrin:

I thought that was on the American version. (I remember some sort of tool they brought in..a screwdriver and nails) I think that the competition is ruined if they know what they are cooking ahead of time as opposed to having extra tools.
Oh, I must not have been clear. Yes, the American version let's them bring their own tools. I was just wondering if the Japanese version did too, or if those chefs had to rely more on what they could find there. It's really no contest at all if you both know the "secret" ingredient AND can bring all the tools and other ingredients you want to bring. They might as well not even bother and just go to their restaurants to get served a meal featuring the ingredient. :rolleyes:

Did anyone but me notice that the Iron Chef America cameras always turn away when it comes to killing things? Like fish? (seriously people) The Japanese version just gave it to you like it was.
I hadn't noticed. I don't pay a lot of attention though. Then again, Iron Chef America wimps out and usually gives them things that are already dead. The Japanese one would just put out a tank of eels and give them a net. :biggrin:

tribdog said:
And the announcer in the Japanese show would say something like "oh, I see what he's doing. He's going to chill the fish eyes and reduce the urine into a syrup." then they cut to the actress who says "MMMM, chilled" I wonder how accurate the translations were.

:rofl: And, the Japanese version wouldn't ask the competitors what they were doing...if the announcer couldn't figure it out, you had to wait until the judging to find out what was made. There was more suspense. On the American version, they'll pester the chefs until they tell them what they're doing.

They should give them some country ingredients like hedgehog and nettles, that would stump them.

I had planned to watch Paula Dean's "deep Fried NY Party" the other night, but got the time wrong.

I had seen the preview that mentioned "deep fried bagels". Well, it's not only deep fried bagels, it also has battered and deep fried tomatoes and fried capers on it as well. :bugeye:

It actually sounds yummy, if it doesn't matter that it's all deep fried and and a million calories compared to the unfried version of it.

Deep-Fried Bagel Sandwich Recipe courtesy Paula Deen, 2008
Show: Paula's Party
Episode: Deep Fried NY Party

Peanut oil, for frying
2 everything NY bagels, sliced in 1/2
4 eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 cup milk
1 cup self-rising flour
6 ounces smoked salmon, thinly sliced
1 red onion, sliced thin
Chive cream cheese, recipe follows
Fried tomatoes, recipe follows
Fried capers, recipe follows

Preheat oil to 375 degrees F.
Beat eggs with milk in a 9 by 9 by 13-inch baking dish. Dip the bagels in the egg mixture and dredge in flour. Carefully transfer bagels into the deep fryer. Remove when golden and brown; turning once half way through the cooking process. Transfer to a paper towel lined sheet tray to drain with tongs. Let cool completely.

Top with chive cream cheese, slices of smoked salmon, thinly sliced red onion, fried tomatoes and fried capers.

Chive Cream Cheese:
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, room temperature
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chives

Stir together cream cheese and chives in a mixing bowl until evenly combined.

Fried Tomatoes:
1 large firm tomato
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 cup self-rising flour
Vegetable oil, for frying
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Preheat deep-fryer to 375 degrees F.

Slice the tomatoes 1/4-inch thick and sprinkle with salt. Place the tomato slices in a colander and allow time for the salt to pull the water out of the tomatoes, approximately 30 minutes. Dip the tomatoes in buttermilk, then dredge them in the flour. Deep-fry until golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes, turning them halfway through the cooking process with tongs. Drain on paper towels and season with salt and pepper. Keep warm until serving.

Fried Capers:
Vegetable oil, for frying
1/4 cup capers, drained

Preheat deep-fryer to 375 degrees F.

Dry capers on a paper towel. Fry for 40 seconds. Remove with a spider or fine sieve to a paper towel lined sheet tray to drain.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/deep-fried-bagel-sandwich-recipe/index.html

Gordon Ramsay not Food Network

Tonight is a special 2 hour Gordon Ramsay "Kitchen Knightmares" where he will be revisiting restaurants he tried to save last season to see if they took his advice.

I LOVE THIS MAN!

So, aside from commercial breaks, I will be glued to the tv set for the next two hours.

wolram said:
They should give them some country ingredients like hedgehog and nettles, that would stump them.

:rofl:

Evo said:
Tonight is a special 2 hour Gordon Ramsay "Kitchen Knightmares" where he will be revisiting restaurants he tried to save last season to see if they took his advice.

I'd like to see that. It sounds like a really good idea for a show.

My bean pie?

1 200grm tin red beans in chili sauce
1 200grm tin baked beans
1 cup plain flour
2 fried sausages chopped up
200grm strong cheese
200grm butter
1 carrot
Put beans in baking dish
Add sausages
Thinly slice carrot and put on top of beans

Crumble cheese and mix with flour, season , add 200grms butter and form a rough crumble,
sprinkle onto beans and bake for 30 mins

Last edited:
I would have sworn it would never happen, but I now like Paula Dean, and enjoy watching her deep fry anything she can get into a deep fryer. She reached a new height the other day. She was making a cake, and after the cake layers had cooled, she dipped them in batter and DEEP FRIED them. She then assembled the deep fried cake layers and put a thick coating of heavy cream cheese frosting over it. I am in awe of this woman. Sometimes you have to admit that eating healthy isn't always satisfying and if I'm going to take risks in life, let it be with food. :!)

On the other hand, Rachel Ray. She was cooking a piece of meat and told viewers to get a good caramelization on the meat. "you want to get all of those sugars in the meat caramelized". :uhh: Uhm, Rachel, you can caramelize onions, but you "brown" meat, which is referred to as the browning or Maillard reaction. Has anyone put together a list of misinformation this bimbo has spewed out? It has to be lengthy.

Perhaps I should send her a link about the differences? http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m3289/is_/ai_n30917291

Last edited:
Evo said:
I would have sworn it would never happen, but I now like Paula Dean, and enjoy watching her deep fry anything she can get into a deep fryer. She reached a new height the other day. She was making a cake, and after the cake layers had cooled, she dipped them in batter and DEEP FRIED them. She then assembled the deep fried cake layers and out a thick coating of heavy cream cheese frosting over it. I am in awe of this woman. Sometimes you have to admit that eating healthy isn't always satisfying and if I'm going to take risks in life, let it be with food. :!)
There's nothing wrong with having deep-fried food...as long as you don't do it all the time. Deep-fried cake sounds like a calorie nightmare, but since when is dessert supposed to be healthy anyway. Just have a smaller piece.

On the other hand, Rachel Ray. She was cooking a piece of meat and told viewers to get a good caramelization on the meat. "you want to get all of those sugars in the meat caramelized". :uhh: Uhm, Rachel, you can caramelize onions, but you "brown" meat, which is referred to as the browning or Maillard reaction. Has anyone put together a list of misinformation this bimbo has spewed out? It has to be lengthy.

There is now some sort of Rachel Ray clone on the Food Network too. I don't know who it is, I just heard the show come on while I was in another room, and quickly returned to change the channel. She was also using really cutesy expressions, but if E-V-O-O wasn't bad enough, this one kept calling oil, "Erl." :yuck: "Then you add the erl, extra virgin of course."

Evo said:
I would have sworn it would never happen, but I now like Paula Dean, and enjoy watching her deep fry anything she can get into a deep fryer. She reached a new height the other day. She was making a cake, and after the cake layers had cooled, she dipped them in batter and DEEP FRIED them. She then assembled the deep fried cake layers and out a thick coating of heavy cream cheese frosting over it. I am in awe of this woman. Sometimes you have to admit that eating healthy isn't always satisfying and if I'm going to take risks in life, let it be with food. :!)

Perhaps I should send her a link about the differences? http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m3289/is_/ai_n30917291

My mom and I went to Savannah a couple of years ago and ate at Paula's restaurant. Mom is a fan and asked to meet her. They took us back behind the buffet and we met Paula and her husband. They were so nice and much thinner looking in person. I bought her cookbook and she signed it for me. Now I am a fan too!

Oh no! Paula Dean has just battered and deep fried individual asparagus spears. There is nothing this woman will not batter and deep fry. She deep fried an entire ham too!

I think the worst thing I ever saw was battered and deep fried slices of bacon. A deep fried heart attack waiting to happen. Oh, and they were served with cream gravy. :bugeye:

Oh no. They just made barbecued pork sushi, battered and deep fried. :bugeye: I'll bet it tastes good, but battered, deep fried seaweed?

Evo said:
Oh no. They just made barbecued pork sushi, battered and deep fried. :bugeye: I'll bet it tastes good, but battered, deep fried seaweed?

Is that Paula Dean frying up pork sushi?

I think there's one exercise her family doesn't get much of and that's pushing themselves away from the table. Some of the cholesterol laden stuff she creates makes the hair on the back of my neck just pucker right up.

LowlyPion said:
Is that Paula Dean frying up pork sushi?

I think there's one exercise her family doesn't get much of and that's pushing themselves away from the table. Some of the cholesterol laden stuff she creates makes the hair on the back of my neck just pucker right up.
No, the deep fried, battered barbecue pork sushi, was in Diners, Drive-ins,and Dives, with Guy Fierie. He has some great food on his show.

The diner food - some of it any way - is all right.

Diners really are a reflection of America. There is such variation and local one of a kind dishes to be found. I think West Coast diners offer up healthier foods in more interesting combinations than East Coast diners that often seem to me any way to be in competition to see who can out calorie/cholesterol the next guy.

(I'm sure this like all generalizations, has massive numbers of exceptions. But it does seem that way to me. And I just feel like I've had more good on the road in the west.)

The food on Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives looks to die for, in most cases. Of course he could be eating mud and rocks and make it look tempting. :biggrin: (I like him)

Evo said:
Oh no! Paula Dean has just battered and deep fried individual asparagus spears. There is nothing this woman will not batter and deep fry. She deep fried an entire ham too!
Real asparagus (I have a small patch and really need to expand it) is food of the gods, but only if it is snapped by hand (it breaks at the place where the woody texture starts) washed and steamed al dente. That woman has no business being around actual food.

turbo-1 said:
That woman has no business being around actual food.

Food isn't apparently around her for too long, unless you count it's being packed inside.

But that can be said of most of the Food Network stars. I'm certain that almost all of them have porked up since coming on air. (Maybe Alton Brown hasn't.) Occupational hazard no doubt.

Evo said:
The other day his show was about grits. His first statement was "grits and polenta are identical, only the name is different". :bugeye: :uhh: No, yellow cornmeal and grits are not the same thing. And no southerner would ever boil yellow cornmeal in milk and call it grits, they'd be run out of town. I was horrified that Alton of all people would make such a mistake! He's my idol. :cry:

Unfortunately, Food Network is either still airing the wrong version, or I somehow missed the inserted correction.
He sounds like he knows his grits on this clip from his True Grits episode. The country gal in the first scene is calling it corn meal. Perhaps this contains the edited footage you described. He does go into some detail about various millings of dent corn, including making of white hominy.
I do enjoy a hot bowl of grits on a cold winter morning:tongue2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofJ3v_a6UUE

~christina~ said:
I liked, chef Robert Irvine, even if he was a liar. It's not like he bragged about his fake resume during the cooking. :rofl:
I found his shows to be quite entertaining.
On http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Irvine" , there is a note, in November 2008, that Food Network is putting him back on..
Robert Irvine's wiki said:
Food Network announced that they were rehiring Irvine to host six episodes of Dinner: Impossible that are scheduled to begin airing in March 2009

Last edited by a moderator: