Questionable Skills of Cooking Show Hosts on Food Network

In summary: As for the rest of them, I wonder what they could do in a real kitchen with available ingredients. I'd love to have Bobby Flay show up at my door for a "Throwdown" cook-off to prepare hot sauces to see if he's got any chops. Yeah, he's got a line of hot sauces, but regardless of whose name is on the label, I've never found any commercially-produced sauces that could come close to mine in quality (not just heat). There are a lot of compromises...In summary, these channels crack me up. Bobby Flay, high school drop out that is dating the producer's daughter, Emeril Lagasee, and Rachel Ray, you've got
Evo said:
just like it has become popular today to have lumpy potatoes instead of the original, smooth, lumpless recipe.
People usually distinguish between smashed potatoes (the lumpy ones) and whipped potatoes (the smooth ones). I like them lumpy only if there's other stuff in them, like garlic and onions...and then I call them dirty mashed potatoes. But, when they are whipped, I really can't tell the difference no matter what kind of potato I used. I've never had a mashed potato I would call "gluey." Maybe you're not adding enough milk or butter? I don't have a fixed amount of either of those, just adjust it as needed until the potatoes are the right consistency of fluffy. What I really don't understand are people who make mashed potatoes with water instead of milk and butter. :yuck: They're just runny boiled potatoes.

Physics news on Phys.org
lumpy potatoes are good. first had them as a kid at my uncle's house. i like the texture. maybe when I'm 90 and have lost all my teeth i'll change my mind, but for now i don't care to eat food with liquid consistency.

Evo said:
This Christmas MIH and I are going to kidnap Kurdt and we're going to dress up in our matching flannel polar bear pajamas, with our matching glittery polar bear footies and have a Paula Deen deep fry party. We can deep fry fruitcake, christmas puddings, chocolate biscuits and gingerbread cookies.

Aha! I have discovered your evil plans. I like the sounds a christmas pyjama party though.

Good grief, this week we had Rachel (I am clueless) Ray telling her audience that scallops are FULL of sugar, when in fact, they have zero sugar. She didn't just say this once in error, she must have said it a dozen times because the show was mostly about caramelizing the sugars in the scallops. Hey, clueless, scallops have no sugar in them, you can't caramelize the natural high sugar content in them because there is none! Why do they not have anyone checking this bimbo for accuracy? Oh, well, I guess that's not fair since the Food Network has no one checking anyone for accuracy. I've never seen so much misinformation. I know, why do I watch it? I'm a sadist.

The other day we had a person say that they were "rendering" a wine sauce down. No, that would be "reducing", you render fat.

Then this morning the 5 ingredient bimbo told everyone that you must buy carrots with the green tops on because that would be the moistest carrots, when in fact, the greens remove moisture from the carrots and you should not buy carrots with the green tops on. That is for appearance only.

Last edited:
Evo said:
Then this morning the 5 ingredient bimbo told everyone that you must buy carrots with the green tops on because that would be the most moist carrots, when in fact, the greens remove moisture from the carrots and you should not buy carrots with the green tops on. That is for appearance only.
What a maroon (thanks, Bugs!). Root vegetables must be treated with some regard for their physiology. For instance, you remove the scapes from garlic tops so that nutrients aren't robbed from the bulbs. You pull the garlic when the tops are about 50% brown and dying back, and (Surprise!) you hang the garlic out of sunlight with the tops on, so that the bulbs can draw the remaining nutrients out of the tops, AND the tops aren't undergoing photosynthesis and trying to remain vegetative at the expense of the bulbs. Think of a well-ventilated tobacco-barn - perfect place to cure garlic.

Idiots like RR and other "chefs" have little to no idea how to select produce, much less how the produce should be harvested, stored, and processed. Put those fools on a hill-side farm in Maine that has sustained families for generations, and they would die.

turbo-1 said:
Idiots like RR and other "chefs" have little to no idea how to select produce, much less how the produce should be harvested, stored, and processed.

Ah! I think I'll start a thread on how to select produce. Thanks, turbo!

I'm really loving Paula Deen now. She cracks me up. Today she outdid herself. She managed to deep fry slices of canned jellied cranberries. You know the stuff in the can that retains the shape of the can when you plop it out?

You make thick 1/2 slices, freeze them, dredge them in flour and deep fry them. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Evo said:
I'm really loving Paula Deen now. She cracks me up. Todau she outdid herself. Shje managed to deep fry slices of canned jellied cranberries. you know the stuff in the can that retains the shape of the can when you plop it out?

You make thick 1/2 slices, freeze them, dredge them in flour and deep fry them. :biggrin:

:bugeye: :rofl: I think she would have been right at home at my boyfriend's fraternity in his college days. Back then, the theory was that anything tasted good fried (that, and those who couldn't cook anything else still knew how to work the deep fryer).

Evo said:
I'm really loving Paula Deen now. She cracks me up. Todau she outdid herself. Shje managed to deep fry slices of canned jellied cranberries. you know the stuff in the can that retains the shape of the can when you plop it out?

Evo - I have to say this. You are the coolest person here on PF.

Keep it up girl!