How Much Do Students Spend on Food While Living Alone?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the cost of food for a student living alone. One person calculated it to be around $11.50 a day or $300 a month, while another person believes they could eat at Quiznos twice a day for cheaper. The idea of shopping at a market and cooking for oneself is also mentioned as a way to eat healthier for less money. There is also a discussion on the cheapest and healthiest options for one or two people, as well as the convenience of not having to cook in a dorm setting. The conversation ends with a mention of specific meals that were eaten that day and contemplating moving to a different living situation for potentially cheaper food options.
zomgwtf
I'm just wondering how much per month do you think a student living alone would spend on food? I was forced to take a meal plan where I live right now and the guy tried selling it as if it's really cheap... I calculated it out to around $11.50 a day so over $300 a month. Is this a lot? I feel like I could eat at quiznos twice every day (same amount of meals I get here) for cheaper.

Physics news on Phys.org
20$/day :uhh:

But, 11$ sounds reasonable if it can buy two good meals per day.

If you shop at a market, you can eat healthier for a lot less. I can go anywhere from $4 bucks/day (2x$1 can of tuna, 1x$2 avocado), or you can play around with meat, cook it, etc

$20 a day??

How much KD and Ramen noodles can you eat in day??

$11.50 is a bit high.

You live in a dorm, where you don't have access to a kitchen and you wouldn't be able to cook, right? An all-fast-food diet is a bad idea.

lisab said:
$11.50 is a bit high.

You live in a dorm, where you don't have access to a kitchen and you wouldn't be able to cook, right? An all-fast-food diet is a bad idea.

Hey hey now. They have a USB cooker now

I would say anything under $13 a day is decent.

Some eat more than others, etc.

90/wk, 400/mo

anything more than that is ridiculous unless you have lots of money to spend

it of course depends on how much you eat, and living expenses

i live really cheaply and spend about $10 a day on food

DaveC426913 said:
$20 a day??

How much KD and Ramen noodles can you eat in day??

A sub is around 7$; noodles+chicken+beef take out is around 8$; coffee 4 times a day around 1$.

I don't want to cook because that is time consuming. Only other alternative is go with cheaper outside food but I like what I eat now and don't foresee any financial troubles for my remaining undergrad time. I haven't started saving for grad school (likely MBA) but I think it would work out or I would have to spend few years working.

Does anyone have a link to any good sites on exactly what to buy to eat well on extremely modest budgets?

I know people who swear they don't have money to save for things they want but eat in restaurants every day spending $50 or more.

It's important to eat in a balanced way. All tuna and peanut butter would be cheap but not healthy.

What's the cheapest healthy baseline menu for 1 and for 2 people? This should be a government publication but I don't think it is.

The meal plan is 14 meals in a week, so since I don't go home on weekends it's about 2 meals a day but I don't use them all because I'm not around during school. (the dorm is kinda far from my school)

For some reason I feel like I could live in a room and spend less money on food and probably even eat more. I mean soups aren't expensive to make, neither is stew and it can last a long time if you make it in a big pot. Some rice to that and you've got meals for a week.

Where do you go to school? That might affect food prices.

Antiphon said:
Does anyone have a link to any good sites on exactly what to buy to eat well on extremely modest budgets?

I know people who swear they don't have money to save for things they want but eat in restaurants every day spending $50 or more.

It's important to eat in a balanced way. All tuna and peanut butter would be cheap but not healthy.

What's the cheapest healthy baseline menu for 1 and for 2 people? This should be a government publication but I don't think it is.

don't know a link, but could offer some suggestions. the biggest issue is that to eat well, yet cheaply, you're going to have to cook. that takes time/labor.

Loren Booda said:
Where do you go to school? That might affect food prices.

Peterborough atm it's surrounded by farms and cottage country. From what I've noticed everything is generally a lot cheaper. The first day I came up here gas was 94.8 cents. Compared to like 102 in my city. haha.

zomgwtf said:
The meal plan is 14 meals in a week, so since I don't go home on weekends it's about 2 meals a day but I don't use them all because I'm not around during school. (the dorm is kinda far from my school)

For some reason I feel like I could live in a room and spend less money on food and probably even eat more. I mean soups aren't expensive to make, neither is stew and it can last a long time if you make it in a big pot. Some rice to that and you've got meals for a week.

whether their plan is reasonable depends entirely on what the food is.

Proton Soup said:
whether their plan is reasonable depends entirely on what the food is.

This is true. We've had sausage penne stuff, lasagna, different sorts of chinese foods veggies and salads. It's not the best tasting though not going to lie, but I'm going to eat it since I paid 1000$ for it. I'm thinking about moving for next semester though and I'm wondering if it'll be cheaper to do that food wise. This is my first time living alone when I was at home I bought my own food sometimes but generally that was just to cook like 'special' meals for myself or friends and stuff so it'd be pretty expensive. I've never had to go shopping for food for a long period of time for myself :tongue:

For instance todays maels were spaghetti for lunch and dinner rolls with meat and cheese stuffed in them with salad for dinner. For some reason this doesn't strike me as 11.50 a day living.

Depends how active you are too. For myself I need ~3500 calories a day. I likely spend at least $15 on food a day and I mostly cook.

It's very, very easy to eat for cheap with even basic cooking skills. Soups, stews, potato hash, chili etc (as it's coming to winter). Can all be left bubbling in a pan, then be frozen in portions for later.

Simple things such as getting a whole roast chicken, using the breasts, legs for a full meal, stripping all the meat off it to add into stew, risotto, whatever. Then using the bones to make a stock. Mince is also a really cheap meat to get and can be used to make loads of things.

At a push when I was a skint student I got food down to about £2 a day for three decent meals, so that's about $3.15/day. It was no frills, but did the job.

Two things are key to this, find a damn good butcher, you'll have to look around but you'll find better value meat (not necessarily cheaper, but better quality for same price). A fresh green grocers, veg tends to be a little bit more expensive from a grocers rather than a supermarket but the quality tends to be higher. And never buy organic, it's just a bloody rip off.

EDIT: I suppose it also depends on what portion size you have, if you eat like a horse then you'll end up spending more.

Last edited:
zomgwtf said:
I'm just wondering how much per month do you think a student living alone would spend on food? I was forced to take a meal plan where I live right now and the guy tried selling it as if it's really cheap... I calculated it out to around $11.50 a day so over $300 a month. Is this a lot? I feel like I could eat at quiznos twice every day (same amount of meals I get here) for cheaper.

You can eat at quiznos on less than $5.75 per meal?

Jack21222 said:
You can eat at quiznos on less than $5.75 per meal?

Yeah they have a 9" sub chips and drink for $5. :tongue:.

I wasn't beings serious but the way I see it if I can pay to eat fast food each day for the same amount then I must be paying too much, I could eat at McDonalds twice a day for $11.50 as well.

zomgwtf said:
Yeah they have a 9" sub chips and drink for $5. :tongue:.

No, no they don't. Sub is 5 dollars, chips and drink are another 2 dollars. Plus tax. Unlike most people here, I actually HAVE eaten quiznos twice a day for more than one day in a row. Place is expensive.

Now McDonalds, I'd agree.

(if I sound fat, it's because I am)

I would highly recommend eating lentil soup every morning and buying takeout from lebanese/mediteranean restarants.(middle eastern)

Specifically I would recommend sharoma/shishkabob with rice and veggies/hummus/garlic sauce.

Im telling you right now, the middle eastern food is the holy grail that I thought never existed. Words cannot describe it.

If this is not possible I think you should eat at LEAST a soup a day + other stuff. It simply does wonders to your system.

Jack21222 said:
No, no they don't. Sub is 5 dollars, chips and drink are another 2 dollars. Plus tax. Unlike most people here, I actually HAVE eaten quiznos twice a day for more than one day in a row. Place is expensive.

(if I sound fat, it's because I am)

I don't know where you live but right now it's $5 for a sub chip and drink. In fact, I just saw a commercial about it.

haxtor21 said:
I would highly recommend eating lentil soup every morning and buying takeout from lebanese/mediteranean restarants.(middle eastern)

Specifically I would recommend sharoma/shishkabob with rice and veggies/hummus/garlic sauce.

Im telling you right now, the middle eastern food is the holy grail that I thought never existed. Words cannot describe it.

If this is not possible I think you should eat at LEAST a soup a day + other stuff. It simply does wonders to your system.

I love shwarmas but I'm not really interested in paying 6$ per shwarma and that's the cheapest I've seen them.

Walmart's Deli has wonderful HUGE cheap submarines. A 2 pound sub is $4.98. Their Italian sub will rival any fast food sub shop in flavor (except Jimmy Johns because of their yummy bread and dressing), and the meat and cheese are packed flat a good 1 1/2 inch thick the entire length. You can take it apart and make three substantial subs. One of their subs is lunch for 3 days, easily, and that includes sharing with my dog.

Evo said:
Walmart's Deli has wonderful HUGE cheap submarines. A 2 pound sub is $4.98. Their Italian sub will rival any fast food sub shop in flavor (except Jimmy Johns because of their yummy bread and dressing), and the meat and cheese are packed flat a good 1 1/2 inch thick the entire length. You can take it apart and make three substantial subs. One of their subs is lunch for 3 days, easily, and that includes sharing with my dog.

I wish there was a Walmart with this type of food here. There's only one Walmart in the entire city though and it isn't one of the 'upgraded' types yet.

zomgwtf said:
I don't know where you live but right now it's $5 for a sub chip and drink. In fact, I just saw a commercial about it.

Is it an actual sub, or is it one of those skinny little "torpedos?"

Jack21222 said:
Place is expensive.

I contend that McDonalds is twice as expensive as most other fast food places out there. At least for me.

Why? Because I pay for it twice.

Once on the way in ... and again on its way out.

DaveC426913 said:
Once on the way in ... and again on its way out.

If the mental image I get is right when thinking about this statement then... gross.

1. How much do students typically spend on food while living alone?

According to a survey conducted by the College Board, the average student spends approximately $42 per week on groceries while living alone. However, this amount may vary depending on location, dietary preferences, and individual spending habits.

2. Is it more expensive for students to eat out or cook at home while living alone?

It depends on the individual's dining choices and budget. Generally, cooking at home tends to be more cost-effective and allows for better control over ingredients and portion sizes. Eating out, on the other hand, can be more convenient but may result in higher expenses in the long run.

3. How do living expenses affect a student's food budget while living alone?

Living expenses, such as rent, utilities, and transportation, can significantly impact a student's food budget while living alone. It is essential to consider these expenses when creating a budget for food to ensure that there is enough money left for groceries.

4. What are some tips for students to save money on food while living alone?

Some tips for students to save money on food while living alone include meal planning and cooking in bulk, buying in-season produce, shopping at discount stores, and utilizing student discounts and coupons. It is also helpful to avoid impulse purchases and stick to a grocery list to stay within budget.

5. How does a student's dietary preferences affect their food expenses while living alone?

A student's dietary preferences can have a significant impact on their food expenses while living alone. For example, a vegetarian or vegan diet may be more cost-effective than a diet that includes meat or specialty items. It is essential to consider dietary preferences when creating a food budget to ensure that there is enough money for nutritious and satisfying meals.