Foods that cause constipation?

• Thread starter NeoDevin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cause
In summary, foods which are known to cause constipation include opiates, low water, low fiber, sedentary habits, and a low-fiber diet. Some foods which may help to promote regular bowel function include fresh fruit and vegetables, fiber-containing cereal grains, lots of fluid, and especially water. If you are having problems with constipation, see your physician.
NeoDevin
What are some foods which are known to cause constipation, and why?

Thanks.

Biology news on Phys.org
Opiates, through inhibition of the nerves.

Other than that- the usual suspects: low water, low fiber, sedentary habits.

There really are no foods that cause constipation. There are a lot that contribute to the problem - as Andy indicated a low fiber diet.

You want to look at the reverse - foods that promote normal bowel function - fresh fruit and vegetables, fiber-containing cereal grains, lots of fluid, especially water.

There are medications and some medical conditions that may be related to the problem. If you personally are having problems, consider seeing your physician

I think you misunderstand. At the moment I would give almost anything to be constipated...

NeoDevin said:
I think you misunderstand. At the moment I would give almost anything to be constipated...

Got that bug going around, huh? Not much to do in that case other than stick to bland foods less likely to worsen the problem by irritating your GI tract, and keep drinking fluids to avoid dehydration. You can try an anti-diarrheal medication.

Yep, already got the medication, it's not helping much. I was hoping someone could suggest some foods that would stop me right up.

It seems so strange that I eat solids, but somewhere along the way they turn into liquid, hehe.

For diarrhea, drink fluids with electrolytes. Dehydration and low blood electrolyte are the reasons folks are harmed by diarrheal diseases; in cases of cholera, these conditions can kill. Gatorade or another high-electrolyte sports drink are good choices to replace water and salts, as well as providing some glucose (if you're feeling like I was in mid-January, you're not eating much). You'll feel better drinking plenty of Gatorade even if you aren't ready to leave the house for a while.

I hope you're feeling better soon.

NeoDevin said:
Yep, already got the medication, it's not helping much. I was hoping someone could suggest some foods that would stop me right up.

It seems so strange that I eat solids, but somewhere along the way they turn into liquid, hehe.
Did you try Imodium? It contains atropine and works very well.

How long have you had diarrhea? When I picked up a parasite in Mexico, the only way to get my digestive tract back to normal was to take Bacid (Acidophilus) capsules.

For my two year old, her pediatrician recommended very greasy fried foods like chicken, to harden the stool. It worked.

If you've had diarhea for more than a few days or if it is accompanied by pain or fever, see your doctor.

Just got it, my wife and son both had it, so it was inevitable (they're both over it now). I tried Imodium, it helped make it so that I don't have to go every 15 minutes, but everything is still liquid (I still don't understand how that happens).

Maybe I'll try fried chicken for supper tonight.

1. What are some common foods that can cause constipation?

Some common foods that can cause constipation include dairy products, red meat, processed foods, fried foods, and foods high in sugar and fat.

2. How do these foods contribute to constipation?

These foods can contribute to constipation because they are low in fiber and high in fat, which can slow down the digestive process and make it harder for stools to pass through the intestines.

3. Are there any specific fruits or vegetables that can cause constipation?

While most fruits and vegetables are high in fiber and can help prevent constipation, some people may experience constipation when consuming high amounts of bananas, apples, and potatoes. These foods should still be included in a well-balanced diet, but should be eaten in moderation.

4. Can drinking enough water help prevent constipation caused by food?

Yes, drinking enough water is essential for maintaining regular bowel movements. When you eat foods that are low in fiber, drinking plenty of water can help soften stools and make them easier to pass through the intestines.

5. Are there any foods that can help relieve constipation?

Yes, there are many foods that can help relieve constipation. Some examples include high-fiber foods like whole grains, fruits, and vegetables, as well as foods with natural laxative properties such as prunes, kiwi, and flaxseeds. It's important to also drink plenty of water and stay physically active to help prevent and relieve constipation.