Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Foods that cause constipation?

1. Feb 26, 2008 #1
    What are some foods which are known to cause constipation, and why?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2008 #2

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Opiates, through inhibition of the nerves.

Other than that- the usual suspects: low water, low fiber, sedentary habits.

4. Feb 26, 2008 #3

jim mcnamara

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There really are no foods that cause constipation. There are a lot that contribute to the problem - as Andy indicated a low fiber diet.

You want to look at the reverse - foods that promote normal bowel function - fresh fruit and vegetables, fiber-containing cereal grains, lots of fluid, especially water.

There are medications and some medical conditions that may be related to the problem. If you personally are having problems, consider seeing your physician

5. Feb 26, 2008 #4
    I think you misunderstand. At the moment I would give almost anything to be constipated...

6. Feb 26, 2008 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Got that bug going around, huh? Not much to do in that case other than stick to bland foods less likely to worsen the problem by irritating your GI tract, and keep drinking fluids to avoid dehydration. You can try an anti-diarrheal medication.

7. Feb 26, 2008 #6
    Yep, already got the medication, it's not helping much. I was hoping someone could suggest some foods that would stop me right up.

It seems so strange that I eat solids, but somewhere along the way they turn into liquid, hehe.

8. Feb 26, 2008 #7
    For diarrhea, drink fluids with electrolytes. Dehydration and low blood electrolyte are the reasons folks are harmed by diarrheal diseases; in cases of cholera, these conditions can kill. Gatorade or another high-electrolyte sports drink are good choices to replace water and salts, as well as providing some glucose (if you're feeling like I was in mid-January, you're not eating much). You'll feel better drinking plenty of Gatorade even if you aren't ready to leave the house for a while.

I hope you're feeling better soon.

9. Feb 26, 2008 #8

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Did you try Imodium? It contains atropine and works very well.

How long have you had diarrhea? When I picked up a parasite in Mexico, the only way to get my digestive tract back to normal was to take Bacid (Acidophilus) capsules.

For my two year old, her pediatrician recommended very greasy fried foods like chicken, to harden the stool. It worked.

If you've had diarhea for more than a few days or if it is accompanied by pain or fever, see your doctor.

10. Feb 26, 2008 #9
    Just got it, my wife and son both had it, so it was inevitable (they're both over it now). I tried Imodium, it helped make it so that I don't have to go every 15 minutes, but everything is still liquid (I still don't understand how that happens).

Maybe I'll try fried chicken for supper tonight.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?