Force and acceleration question

In summary, the book's acceleration as it slides downhill on the icy and frictionless sidewalk is 1.7 m/s2. The confusion may arise from the textbook's use of the x and y components of weight, which in this case, are determined by the angle θ between the surface and the horizontal. The x-component of weight is determined by mass, acceleration due to gravity, and sin θ, while the y-component is determined by cos θ. It is important to consider the angle θ and its relation to the x and y axes in order to accurately calculate the components of weight.
fightboy
One wintry day you accidentally drop your physics book (mass 2.50kg) on a sidewalk that tilts at an angle of 10 degrees below the horizontal. If the sidewalk is so icy as to be essentially frictionless, what is the book's acceleration as it slides downhill?

Ok so I tried doing this problem but i get really confused when my textbook divides the gravitational force (weight) into its x and y components.
In the book it lists the positive y-axis as going up perpendicular to the tilted sidewalk, and the positive x-axis to be going down the incline parallel to the sidewalk.
Here's the part I don't understand,
they listed (weightbook, x)=massbookgsinΘ
and weightbook,y=massbookgcosΘ
wouldn't the x component have cosineΘ and the y component have sinΘ? I always thought cos pertained to the x-axis and sin pertained to the y axis. If anyone could explain this part and show a walk through of the problem it would be much appreciated! The final answer turned out to be 1.7 m/s2.

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you make the drawing ?

Did you consider the case theta = 0 ?

If you had a vector V that made an angle θ with the x-axis, then you would be right: the x-component would be Vcosθ. But here the vector, mg, points downward. So it makes an angle θ with the y-axis, not the x-axis. (Where θ is the angle that the surface makes with the horizontal.)

I suggest you read this: Inclined Planes

What is force?

Force is a physical quantity that can cause an object to change its speed, direction, or shape. It is measured in Newtons (N) and is represented by the symbol F.

What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. It is measured in meters per second squared (m/s²) and is represented by the symbol a.

How are force and acceleration related?

According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, force and acceleration are directly proportional. This means that if the force applied to an object increases, its acceleration will also increase. If the force decreases, so will the acceleration.

What is the formula for calculating force?

The formula for calculating force is F = ma, where F is force in Newtons, m is mass in kilograms, and a is acceleration in meters per second squared.

How does mass affect force and acceleration?

Mass is directly proportional to force, meaning that the greater the mass of an object, the greater the force needed to accelerate it. However, mass is inversely proportional to acceleration, meaning that the greater the mass, the slower the acceleration will be for a given force.