Force and Pressure Question

In summary, the conversation is about a project involving stacked balls inside an aluminum tube with a welded shut bottom and a threaded bolt on top. The question is how to accurately find the force output of the bolt on the balls using a specific diameter wrench and a Newton scale. Additionally, the conversation discusses the total pressure of the system and the material properties of the components. The proposed solution involves using Mechanical Advantage and considering Newton's law of action and reaction. The possibility of consulting mechanical engineers is also mentioned.
WehrdScience

Homework Statement

Hello physics folks, I have a doozy of a problem, if anyone is willing to assist me I would greatly appreciate it! My son and I are working on a project where we have stacked nine balls on top of each other inside an aluminum tube (vertically). The bottom of the tube has been welded shut with a washer which allows the ball to stick out slightly, but keeps the balls in (the inner diameter of the washer is small than the diameter of the ball). The top of the tube has a threaded bolt that can be tightened to place pressure onto the chain of balls. See attached picture for help and dimensions of everything.

Homework Equations

What we would like to know is, if we use a specific diameter wrench and a precise Newton scale (so we know our Force Input and our distance input), how could we accurately find out the Force output of the bolt on the balls? Also, how can we calculate the total pressure of the system, knowing P = F / A, and of course if you help us find out the force applied by the bolt, we were curious which area we should use? The area of the bolt touching the ball? The end of the bolt is rounded but matches the contour of the rounded ball as well…if there is anything we forgot to tell you just ask, we have dimensions for everything!

The Attempt at a Solution

We have tried calculating this thing from a Mechanical Advantage point of view (which may be too simplistic)...figuring if the diameter of the bolt / pitch length would give us .012m / .0015m = 8...so applying a Force of 5.0 N / .13 m wrench length = 38.5 N Force placed on the chain of balls...it just seems kind of high?
[PLAIN]http://www.odessa.wednet.edu/images/stories/Webmaster/Force-Pressure.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think it really matters that you have a chain of balls, since after all Newton's law of action and reaction pairs should apply pretty well (though some force/energy will probably be lost to heat). If you want to be really precise you'll have to know the material properties of the balls, the washer, and your weld. Steel is much easier to weld, how come you used an aluminum rod?

The force should be, more or less, the same throughout the system while the pressure will vary depending on the cross-sectional area the force is applied to.

I'm just an experimental physicist, there may be some mechanical engineers around that would know better. I would try posting in their forum as well
https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=101

Thank you Mindscrape, I will post in engineering as well. We used aluminum for resonance purposes, but we do know the material properties of the balls, the washers, and our weld too.

Dear physics folks,

Thank you for reaching out for assistance with your project. It sounds like you and your son are working on a fun and challenging experiment.

To accurately find out the force output of the bolt on the balls, you will need to measure the torque applied by the bolt. This can be done by using a torque wrench and measuring the force applied at a specific distance from the center of rotation. This will give you the force applied by the bolt on the balls.

As for calculating the total pressure of the system, you will need to consider the area of contact between the bolt and the balls. This can be approximated by using the diameter of the bolt and the number of balls in contact with the bolt. However, it is important to note that the pressure will not be evenly distributed across all the balls, as the ones closer to the bolt will experience a greater force.

In addition, it is important to consider the material properties of the balls and the aluminum tube, as well as any potential friction between the balls and the tube. This will affect the accuracy of your calculations.

Overall, it seems like you have a good understanding of the concepts involved in this experiment. However, it would be beneficial to also consider any potential sources of error and ways to improve the accuracy of your measurements and calculations.

Best of luck with your project!

1. What is force and how is it related to pressure?

Force is a push or pull acting on an object. Pressure is the amount of force acting on a certain area. The relationship between force and pressure is that the greater the force applied to a given area, the greater the pressure.

2. How do you calculate pressure?

The formula for pressure is pressure = force / area. This means that pressure is equal to the amount of force applied divided by the area over which it is applied.

3. What are some units of measurement for force and pressure?

Force is typically measured in units of newtons (N) and pressure is measured in units of pascals (Pa). Other units of measurement for pressure include pounds per square inch (psi) and atmospheres (atm).

4. How does pressure affect objects and materials?

Pressure can cause objects and materials to change shape or volume, depending on their properties. For example, high pressure can compress gases and liquids, while low pressure can cause objects to expand or even break.

5. What are some examples of force and pressure in everyday life?

Some common examples of force and pressure in everyday life include pushing a door open, squeezing a water bottle to drink, and sitting on a chair. Other examples include car tires exerting pressure on the road, and the force of wind against a building causing pressure on its walls.