1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force between pool balls

1. Nov 8, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    What is the peak force between two pool balls in a pool shot? Estimate the momentum transferred to the object ball in a hard pool shot. Estimate (or look up) masses and velocities. For how long are two pool balls in contact? The time can be approximated by the length of time it takes a sound wave to cross a pool ball. Put it all together and compare it to the force of gravity or hte normal force from the table on each ball.

2. Relevant equations
    p=mv
    F=dp/dt

3. The attempt at a solution
    Estimations:
    mass of cue ball- .16 kg
    velocity of cue ball- .7 m/s
    -->p=.229 kg m/s
    speed of sound- 340.29 m/s
    length of cue ball- (2.25 in)(.0254 m/in)=.05715 m
    -->speed of sound across a cue ball=1.68E-4 s
    --> F=dp/dt=(.229 kg m/s)/(1.68E-4 s)=1360 N
    and
    F_g=mg=(.16 kg)(9.81 m/s^2)=1.57 N

The force that I got is WAY too high, but I don't know what I did wrong.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2008 #2
    You have made an error calculating the momentum. The equation is p = mv, but it looks like you calculated m/v.

When I calculated the momentum, I got 0.112 kg m/s, not 0.229 kg m/s

4. Nov 9, 2008 #3
    Well, now when I calculated the force I get 667 N. Which is still pretty high. And much higher than F_g. Can this be right?

5. Nov 9, 2008 #4
    Of course the force is much larger than mg: compare the forces you feel when (i) you gently put a pool ball at rest on your head (=mg), and (ii) the pool ball hits your head at some typical speed and bounces off.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?