Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force calculation for lock-rotor motor

1. Oct 26, 2007 #1
    I have 1700 HP induction motors that I need to do lock-rotor test on. Force applied to the bolts on the lock-rotor flange should be mass X acceleration I guess but what I'm stuck on is what would the acceleration be of a motor that's not turning ... is that a dumb question or what! Eventhough the motor won't be moving, it's still applying force. Anyone know how to figure that one out? Thanks!
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2007 #2

Science Advisor

If the rotor is locked it's not accelerating.

I imagine that the amount of force on the bolts is related to the locked-rotor torque. The manufacturer of the motor should have that value. The locked-rotor torque may vary somewhat with different standstill positions of the rotor with respect to the stator.

If you don't have the manufacturers data you can calculate the locked-rotor torque with this equation:

T = (21.12*Rr*Ebr^2)/(s*ns*[(Rr/s)^2 + Xbr^2])

T = developed torque in ft-lbs
    Rr = actual resistance per phase of the rotor windings (ohms)
    Ebr = blocked rotor voltage
    s = slip
    ns = synchronous speed
    Xbr = blocked rotor reactance

Just set s (the slip) equal to 1 since you are trying to find the locked-rotor condition.
  4. Oct 27, 2007 #3
    Thank you Sir! I'll see if I can't puzzle that out.

I always say: Well ... it seems we don't have time to do it right, we only have time to do it over.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?