Force calculation of extrusion.

In summary, the conversation is about a student seeking help with an assignment they were given. They have a similar example with a solution, but they want to understand the problem instead of just copying the answer. They are asking for suggestions on what resources they should look at to understand the problem and solve it. The person they are talking to suggests looking at the given example, lecture notes, and suggested books for the course. The student agrees and explains that they are having trouble understanding the calculation and the lecture notes don't make sense. They also mention that they study product design and rarely deal with problems like this. They have attached the example and solution they were given to show that they are not trying to cheat.
Misty-Gorilla
Hello,

I have been given the attached assignment which has completely baffled me. I was also given an similar example question with a solution by my lecturer but I want to understand what I'm doing instead of just copying the answer without actually understanding it.

I would really appreciate if someone could tell me what I should be looking for in books and online in order to understand the problem and then solve it.

I appreciate any help or assistance you can offer.

Thank you.

Attachments

• Part 1.docx
    15.9 KB · Views: 261
Physics news on Phys.org
This might not be much help, but I would suggest you start by looking at the given example together with lecture notes and possibly suggested books for the course you're taking.

The very least you can do in terms of asking help on this forum - in my opinion - is to show some sign of work, an attempt, so that the people on this forum that are qualified to help you (unfortunately, I'm not on this particular problem) can tell you where you're going wrong, and what to look for.

I'm not trying to be arrogant, I'm just trying to help as good as I can until someone qualified replies.

I appreciate your reply and I completely agree with what your saying. I wouldn't expect anyone to give me the answer without trying.

The problem is that I can't try as the lecture notes don't make any sense and I don't understand the calculation. I am currently using DeGarmos materials and processes in manufacturing but I cannot find anything that will provide insight...I study product design and rarely deal with anything such as this.

I have attached the example and solution I was given just to show I'm not trying to pull a fast one.

Thanks for your reply.

Attachments

• part 2.doc
    60.5 KB · Views: 212

1. What is force calculation of extrusion?

Force calculation of extrusion is the process of determining the amount of force required to push or pull a material through a die in order to create a desired shape. It is an important aspect of the extrusion process as it helps to ensure that the extruded product is of high quality and meets the required specifications.

2. What factors affect force calculation of extrusion?

There are several factors that can affect the force calculation of extrusion, including the type of material being extruded, its physical properties (such as viscosity and elasticity), the dimensions of the die, and the speed at which the material is being pushed through the die.

3. How is force calculation of extrusion performed?

Force calculation of extrusion is typically performed using mathematical equations that take into account the factors mentioned above. These equations may differ depending on the specific type of extrusion process and the material being used. In some cases, computer simulations may also be used to accurately predict the force required.

4. Why is force calculation of extrusion important?

Force calculation of extrusion is important because it helps to ensure that the extruded product is of high quality and meets the required specifications. It also allows for the optimization of the extrusion process, reducing the risk of defects and improving the overall efficiency and productivity.

5. Are there any challenges in force calculation of extrusion?

Yes, there can be challenges in force calculation of extrusion, as it involves complex calculations and can be affected by various factors. Additionally, the properties of some materials may change during the extrusion process, making it difficult to accurately predict the required force. In such cases, trial and error may be necessary to determine the optimal force for extrusion.