How Is Force Calculated on a Proton in a Magnetic Field?

In summary, the problem involves finding the magnitude of the force exerted by a uniform magnetic field of 1.47 T in the positive z direction on a proton with a velocity of <3Mm/s i + 3Mm/s j>. The correct angle to use in the calculation is not 45 degrees, but the angle between the z direction and the xy plane. Therefore, the correct answer is not .7056 but another value that can be found by using the correct angle.
jimmyting
[SOLVED] Force dealing with vectors

Homework Statement

A uniform magnetic field of magnitude 1.47 T acts in the positive z direction.
Find the magnitude of the force exerted by the field on a proton if the proton's velocity is <3Mm/s i + 3Mm/s j>. Answer in pN

Homework Equations

[tex]F=QV \times B[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Being a cross product, I thought that it would just take the sin of the velocity vector. Since it is going at the same speed in x and y, the angle I calculated was 45, so it is 135 from the direction of the field. So after doing all that calculation, I get .7056. Where am I doing this wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The magnetic field is in the z direction; the velocity is in the x-y plane. So the angle you need is the angle between the z direction and the xy plane. What do you get?

jimmyting said:
Since … the angle I calculated was 45, so it is 135 from the direction of the field.

Hi jimmyting! :smile:

Usually I'd recommend "draw a diagram"

but I guess that it's your diagram that's misled you.

You've got three arrows for, say v y and z, and you've correctly labelled the angles vy and yz as 45º and 90º. :smile:

And then you've just added them, because your diagram doesn't look three-dimensional.

hmm … take art classes … or see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perspective_(graphical) :smile:

Haha, sadly Art isn't my forte, neither is music for that matter, but thank you guys for your help

1. What is a vector in the context of force?

A vector is a mathematical quantity that has both magnitude and direction. In the context of force, it represents the magnitude and direction of a force acting on an object.

2. How is the magnitude of a force vector calculated?

The magnitude of a force vector is calculated using the Pythagorean theorem. This means taking the square root of the sum of the squares of the force components in each direction.

3. What is the difference between a scalar and a vector quantity in force?

A scalar quantity only has magnitude, while a vector quantity has both magnitude and direction. In force, magnitude would represent the amount of force applied, while direction would indicate the direction in which the force is acting.

4. How are vector quantities represented?

Vector quantities are typically represented graphically as arrows. The length of the arrow represents the magnitude of the vector, while the direction of the arrow represents the direction of the vector.

5. How are vectors used in force diagrams?

Vectors are used in force diagrams to visually represent the magnitude and direction of all the forces acting on an object. This allows us to analyze and understand the net force acting on the object.