1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force dealing with vectors

1. May 9, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Force dealing with vectors

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A uniform magnetic field of magnitude 1.47 T acts in the positive z direction.
    Find the magnitude of the force exerted by the field on a proton if the proton's velocity is <3Mm/s i + 3Mm/s j>. Answer in pN

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]F=QV \times B[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Being a cross product, I thought that it would just take the sin of the velocity vector. Since it is going at the same speed in x and y, the angle I calculated was 45, so it is 135 from the direction of the field. So after doing all that calculation, I get .7056. Where am I doing this wrong?
    Last edited: May 9, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

The magnetic field is in the z direction; the velocity is in the x-y plane. So the angle you need is the angle between the z direction and the xy plane. What do you get?
  4. May 9, 2008 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi jimmyting! :smile:

Usually I'd recommend "draw a diagram"

but I guess that it's your diagram that's misled you.

You've got three arrows for, say v y and z, and you've correctly labelled the angles vy and yz as 45º and 90º. :smile:

And then you've just added them, because your diagram doesn't look three-dimensional.

hmm … take art classes … or see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perspective_(graphical) :smile:
  5. May 9, 2008 #4
    Haha, sadly Art isn't my forte, neither is music for that matter, but thank you guys for your help
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?