Force Equilibrium: Find T1 Expression w/ m, theta1, theta2, g

In summary, the tension in cable 1 is mg/ (sin theta 1 + (cos theta 1/cos theta 2)* sin theta 2), and the tension in cable 2 is mg*(cos theta2)/((sin theta1)*(cos theta2) + (sin theta2)*(cos theta1)).
enantiomer1

Homework Statement

(Intro 1 figure) A chandelier with mass m is attached to the ceiling of a large concert hall by two cables. Because the ceiling is covered with intricate architectural decorations (not indicated in the figure, which uses a humbler depiction), the workers who hung the chandelier couldn't attach the cables to the ceiling directly above the chandelier. Instead, they attached the cables to the ceiling near the walls. Cable 1 has tension T1 and makes an angle of theta1 with the ceiling. Cable 2 has tension T2 and makes an angle of theta2 with the ceiling.
MFS_1l_3_v1_a.jpg

Find an expression for T1, the tension in cable 1, that does not depend on T2.
Express your answer in terms of some or all of the variables m, theta1, and theta2, as well as the magnitude of the acceleration due to gravity g.

Homework Equations

T1 SHOULD equal: mg/ (sin theta 1 + (cos theta 1/cos theta 2)* sin theta 2), but any time I put in sin they say that I haven't formatted the equation right.
what am I missing that can only be computed by thetas 1 & 2 as well as m and g?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi enantiomer1! :smile:

(have a theta: θ :wink:)
enantiomer1 said:
T1 SHOULD equal: mg/ (sin theta 1 + (cos theta 1/cos theta 2)* sin theta 2), but any time I put in sin they say that I haven't formatted the equation right.
what am I missing that can only be computed by thetas 1 & 2 as well as m and g?

hmm … looks ok to me :confused:

maybe they want you to keep (θ1 + θ2) as it is?

Maybe there's a shortage of brackets to make the expression clear?

mg/ (sin theta 1 + ((cos theta 1/cos theta 2)* sin theta 2))

BTW I can't see how you got your expression..;={

Since the chandelier isn't moving, it must be that the horizontal component of T1 is equal to the horizontal component of T2. So we can derive an expression for T2 in terms of T1.

Then we equate mg to the vertical components of T1 and T2, and then substitute for T2.

That gives me...

T1 = mg*(cos theta2)/((sin theta1)*(cos theta2) + (sin theta2)*(cos theta1))

NO it's the same, just prettier!

1. What is force equilibrium?

Force equilibrium is a state in which all the forces acting on an object are balanced, meaning that the object is either at rest or moving at a constant velocity. In other words, the net force on the object is equal to zero.

2. How do you find the expression for T1 in force equilibrium?

To find the expression for T1, we use the principle of equilibrium, which states that the sum of all the forces in the x and y directions must equal zero. We can then use trigonometric functions and the given values for mass, angles, and gravitational acceleration to solve for T1.

3. What is the role of mass in force equilibrium?

The mass of an object affects the amount of force needed to achieve equilibrium. A heavier object will require a larger force to balance it, while a lighter object will require a smaller force. However, in force equilibrium, the mass itself does not affect the expression for T1.

4. How do angles and gravitational acceleration impact force equilibrium?

The angles of the forces and the value of gravitational acceleration play a crucial role in determining the expression for T1. The angles affect the components of the forces in the x and y directions, while gravitational acceleration determines the weight of the object.

5. Can force equilibrium be applied to any situation?

Yes, the principle of equilibrium can be applied to any situation in which forces are acting on an object. It is a fundamental concept in physics and is used to analyze and solve problems involving forces and motion.