Force extension graph displacememt to Kenetic energy

In summary, the author was trying to calculate the efficiency of a self built acrylic bow and was having some problems. He recorded the height an arrow flew and the weight of the arrow. He then calculated the efficiency by using the chain of thought work = force of pull x distance of pull. He found that the ideal (no losses) height of the bow would be 262% of the weight of the arrow.
Roberto2391
I am trying to work out the efficiency for a self built acrylic bow, but I am having some problems working out a predicted height my arrow will reach. For the experiment i fired the arrow into the air and recorded the height it travelled, I have also recorded the weight of the arrow and the force applied to the sting when firing the arrow.

I then proceeded to do this for ten set forces 1N- 10N recording the results, after recording the results i worked out a way in which I could convert the area under a force extension graph into kinetic energy and then into GPE. Once I had the GPE I would divide the total by gravity and then by the mass of the arrow, giving me a predicted height.

To work out the height the arrow would travel, I measured the distance the arrow traveled for each of my forces; I then drew a force extension graph, using my method I worked out that 2N my bow was 262% efficient and for 9N my bow was 0.8% efficient.

A table of my results has been uploaded

I worked out the predicted height by using this chain of thought

Displacement under the graph = Kinetic Energy
Kinetic Energy = Gravitational potential energy
Gravitational potential energy / Mass and gravity

I don’t think I am working out the predicted height correctly but I can't think of another way to do it, all help welcome.

Attachments

• Force applied to string.doc
    35.5 KB · Views: 243
Physics news on Phys.org
Please, please upload a PDF version of your doc. Many people here would not open a DOC file for fear of virus.

Defennder said:
Please, please upload a PDF version of your doc. Many people here would not open a DOC file for fear of virus.

I'm on my work comp so I'm not afraid. :cool:

Theres obviously something seriously wrong with your calculations. Since you haven't shown any of your calculations I don't know what that is. What function are you integrating to determine your kinetic energy? And BTW, you don't have to calculate the kinetic energy, if you know the work done by pulling the bow, then you can easily determine its ideal potential energy at its max height.

Work = Force of pull x distance of pull = Potential energy

In other words, your ideal (no losses) height will be:

height = [tex]\frac{Fd}{mg}[/tex]

Defennder said:

I will remember that for the future.

Topher925 said:
Work = Force of pull x distance of pull = Potential energy

In other words, your ideal (no losses) height will be:

height = [tex]\frac{Fd}{mg}[/tex]

And i had not though of working it out like that thank you very much

Related to Force extension graph displacememt to Kenetic energy

1. What is a force extension graph?

A force extension graph is a graphical representation of the relationship between the force applied to an object and the resulting extension or displacement of the object. It is used to study the elasticity and strength of materials.

2. How is displacement related to kinetic energy?

Displacement is directly related to kinetic energy, as it is one of the factors that determines the amount of kinetic energy an object has. The greater the displacement, the more kinetic energy an object will have.

3. What does the slope of a force extension graph represent?

The slope of a force extension graph represents the stiffness or elasticity of a material. A steeper slope indicates a greater stiffness, while a flatter slope indicates a lower stiffness.

4. How can the kinetic energy of an object be calculated from a force extension graph?

The kinetic energy of an object can be calculated by finding the area under the force extension curve on the graph. This can be done by dividing the graph into smaller rectangles and calculating the area of each, then summing up all the individual areas.

5. How can a force extension graph be used to determine the maximum force a material can withstand?

A force extension graph can be used to determine the maximum force a material can withstand by looking at the point where the graph starts to level off or decline. This indicates that the material has reached its elastic limit and can no longer withstand any additional force without permanently deforming or breaking.